• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech School

These were a school trip to Cologne, Germany. I think it was 1967 or 68. Some of the girls were our German hosts. The one of us climbing the steep hill (somewhere on the Rhine) shows Mrs Banner (Miss Wilkinson) our German teacher in the blue dress. I'm the one in school uniform looking glum on the ferry. Viv

Attachments

• 20230826_133329.jpg
    20230826_133329.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20230826_133320.jpg
    20230826_133320.jpg
    923 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230826_133301.jpg
    20230826_133301.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230826_133346.jpg
    20230826_133346.jpg
    890.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230826_133246.jpg
    20230826_133246.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
smashing photos viv...i had the chance to go to ostend with the senior school but being the eldest of 6 mom and dad could not afford it..however they more than made up for it by allowing me to stay on an extra year to take cse exams which got me the jobs i wanted:) ps maybe you was feeling a bit sea sick:dizzy:

lyn

The influence of Mr Hellings on one of his pupils. Edit incorrectly posted to this tread but somebfirmer girls may remember Mr Hellings who taught at Marsh Hill Boys.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231218_185908_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218_185908_Chrome.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Oops, put it on the wrong thread. He taught at Marsh Hill Boys. Shall move it, thanks.Edit. Copied post #274 to Marsh Hill Boys thread

I remember him coming across to the girl's school. Maybe he gave some classes at MHGGS (VI form English ?) Or maybe he'd come across for a professional chat with Mrs Box and Miss Foxon (both English teachers).

Last edited:
Mrs Cockbain, far right. I remember her having grey hair, but maybe it's the quality of the image makes her seem to have dark hair.

Screenshot_20231218_195118_Chrome.jpg
Source : British Newspaper Archive

Gosh yes, strange to see her face again and yes, I remember her with grey hair too!
I also remember Alderman Dawes (or Ald Drawers as we used to call him ;) ) visiting the school in my time.

Yes, took me by surprise when I saw her face. Unforgettable.

This explains why we had so many musical events at MHGS. Mrs C probably trained in music if she was chair of the Birmingham Grammar Schools Music Festival

Screenshot_20231219_021946_Chrome.jpg

Alderman Dawes did the Speech Day opening address for 9/11/1967 and 27/10/1966. I may have shaken his hand, as I collected form prizes in both those years. I still have the programmes for the evenings, extracts attached

Attachments

• 20231219_134929.jpg
    20231219_134929.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20231219_134939.jpg
    20231219_134939.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 6
Took me a while to realise this was formerly Marsh Hill Girls. It was all grassed around this part of the school in the 1960s and was used for athletics having long jump and high jump pits. No car parking this far up in those days (as it has today). Remember several sunny days sitting on the grass at lunchtime out there.

It's possible some of the trees (out of the 150 !) these students and teacher planted are still there, although can't be 100% sure. I've marked the probable location with blue dot's on Streetviews below.

Screenshot_20231230_085612_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240101_150535_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240101_150535_Maps.jpg
    850.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240101_150435_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240101_150435_Maps.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240101_150423_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240101_150423_Maps.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I remember Mr Slinn, he was our geography teacher. My main memory is he was a fan of corduroy ! And ot course he continued to produce Gilbert & Sullivan comic operas at MHG. He married Barbara Beattie

Screenshot_20240511_220322_Chrome.jpg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240512_074318_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512_074318_Chrome.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Ha ha, I don’t recall ever seeing the boys’ head teacher or even knowing his name....the only time I ever went to the boys school was to use the language lab for french, I think it was in year 4, so around 1971/2. Our french teacher at that time was Mr Muller I think, prior to that we had Miss Wolstencroft. She was a new french teacher to replace Mrs Bloxham who has also been our form teacher in 2zand before that we had Mrs Bloxham, who was also form teacher in 2z.

So in 1z the my form teacher was Mrs Warrington, English and general science. 2z Mrs Bloxham french. 3Z Mr Smith maths, replaced by Mr Siddique. I do recall a lot of the teachers already mentioned such as Mrs Box, Miss Foxon, Mr Slinn, Mr Rouse, does anyone remember Mrs Hutchinson, the other art teacher? Mr Manning, who also taught O’level law, Mrs Miles history, Mr Williams economics and accounts. Miss Harris chemistry, replaced by Mr Rose. When I get my school report out of the loft (blue for York) I will make corrections or additions to this information.
Hi
I am new on here. I think I was in the same class. I went to Marsh Hill from Sept 1968 to July 1975. I was in 1Z and my name then was Sandra O’Toole. I had ginger hair did a lot of sport including Netball and throwing the Javelin. I was a bit of a rebel around Year 2 and got in with a bad crowd that included Angela Stern, Jennifer Shervington and a girl called Lesley. By 3rd year I got more into sports clubs out of school and found new friends. I taught PE for 44 years and only retired in July 2023. I had a great sports career and competed Internationally in 2 sports. The PE teachers at Marsh Hill set me on that path and were really supportive. Miss Cooksley, Miss Maundrell and later in 6th form Mrs Band ( Greta). There was also one PE teacher who played Netball for England and took us to watch her play at Wembley. (Unfortunately I cannot remember name) She only stayed one year but was a great inspiration to me. My sporty Netball friends at school were Geraldine Finnegan ( Netball Captain) Marilyn Wootten ( same year) and Debbie Crooke and Janice Campbell ( one year below) We had a great Team and were in the top 2 in the county. Such great times we had with some great staff that inspired me to become a teacher.

Some things that will be familiar Suzanne and A Sparks are in another extract below. I wrote this some years ago about the school layout and its features. But not sure how much of this has since survived as we know some (if not all by now) has probably been demolished. But when the school was built, it would have been a typical example of a state of the art, 1950/60s school building.

It was a modern school, designed and equipped to a high standard. The whole school was originally broadly 'T' shaped, although later aerial views show additional buildings. On approaching the wide, main entrance to the building you'd notice a small frieze on the exterior wall to the right of the entrance. I only vaguely remember this frieze, despite passing it every day, but it probably symbolised what Marsh Hill Girls' was all about. Carved on it were various measuring and scientific instruments, so the scientific emphasis in the curriculum must have been important. It certainly was for me, although languages were, to me, far more interesting.

Behind the school was a field and grassed area which circled the back of the school, starting on the Marsh Hill road side, continuing along the back of the Science block and reaching across to Marsh Hill Boys' School. This area was mostly used for athletics training in the summer term. Google maps show the Science block area of the school has in later years seen the most change, with two extensions. These two new buildings appear to cover much of the original sports field, the very spot where we threw a blinding discus, javelin or temper tantrum.

Moving back to the Marsh Hill side, behind the Hall, there's now an area of tarmac and a car park. In my time this area contained long jump and high jump sandpits and another grassed area. There may also have been some parking spaces, but on a much smaller scale. Another large area of tarmac was in front of the main school entrance and Gym. This was set up for tennis courts in summer or netball pitches in winter.

Just inside the school entrance, was the Main Hall with the Gym to the right and the open-plan, dining area to the left. Through the dining area you reached a staircase with access to classrooms in the only multi-storey section of the school. To the right of the stairs was the rear school door. The wall joining it housed a row of hatches through which those delightful (!) school meals appeared. We'd queue patiently at the hatches waiting to be served, giving us time to find the strip of grey dinner tickets stashed in the little zip pocket of our blue, expanding, nurses-style belt.

To the left side of the staircase was the corridor to the offices for the Head, Deputy Head and the staffroom. These were not often visited. Although those of a naughtier disposition would be far more familiar with this territory. Also on the left was a corridor leading to the low-level science block where much smelly stuff was concocted and, in later years, gave a good view of passing Marsh Hill Boys' VI formers taking mixed lessons (yes, 'mixed' - with the opposite sex !)

Leaving the dining area and taking the upwards staircase through the multi-level block, is where you'd find the form rooms and classrooms. Many of the rooms were simply blank and boring classrooms, with little to offer except hard work. But some held things a little more interesting such as the Language Lab with its individual cubicles lined with soundproofing boards, the type with lots of holes in. I think you could hang your headphones up on the boards. Other rooms with better prospects were the domestic science rooms with fully equipped kitchens and a mock-up flat where you'd learn the vital skills of making a bed, including, of course, mastering the essential hospital corners. And on the top floor, don't forget the classrooms which gave a good viewing platform for male spotting, either directly across to Stockland Green Bi-Lateral or Marsh Hill Boys' to the right. It was all part of a rich and enlightening education !

Back downstairs, the Main Hall hosted many joint girl/boy school theatricals, like Gilbert and Sullivan's "Mikado" and "The Pirates of Penzance". Having never summoned up the courage to audition for a part, I think I missed a lot of fun. So my artistic expression was confined to fluttering and strutting in this same hall during dance lessons dressed in regulation pale green dance tunic. The Hall was, I believe, where the school record was recorded. Presumably it had good acoustics.

Beneath the stage (yes beneath !) was the Sixth Form Common Room. This was probably a serious fire risk, especially as some girls lit up the occasional, crafty fag (strictly against school rules of course, but you know what they say about rules). One of the entrances to the Common Room was via the side of the stage (internal) and the other was through a small external door on the Marsh Hill side of the building. The entrance to the Common Room with its sunken door and small window alongside are still there, but they're now covered over and not particularly inviting.

Just inside that door was a kitchen with a sink and cooker. Continuing through to the Common Room we had rows of low, comfy chairs and a record player (remember those?). The Common Room is best described as 'makeshift' with all the pipework and supporting beams exposed along the ceiling. It certainly wouldn't cut it with today's H&S inspectors. It was here that we sixth formers solved all our boy, makeup and fashion problems. An education in itself !

Viv
Hi, I was at the school from 1968-1975 and was Sandra O’Toole then. My sister is 5 years older than me and her name was Joan O’Toole. She started 1063. What a great description of the school you have given. It brought back so many memories. You may be interested to know that in the 1980’s they built a leisure centre in the area between the Girls and Boys school which took up most of the sports field. It became Stockland Green Leisure Centre. I played Netball there until 2015. I am not sure if it is still there as I now live in Redditch and haven’t been there for years

Hi Sandra and welcome. Thank you for posting your memories.

Your sister must have been in the year above me. I remember Miss Cooksley, she must have been at the school for quite some time and, I think possibly back to the early years of the school. She was a very encouraging teacher. Miss Jones was my favourite teacher, she was also a sports teacher and was my form tutor in year 1. I think she may have left by your time at the school. She may have married another MHG teacher, but not sure.

You've probably realised that the boys' school and Stockland Green school buildings have now gone.

Hiya Viv, yes I do remember Miss Harris, she was such a good teacher that I took sciences for my options into year 4. Unfortunately, she left that year and I didn’t seem to be able grasp chemistry quite so well with the new teacher, so my interest waned. I also remember Mr Fischer for Physics, what a lovely gentleman he was, his eyes were always smiling.

Yes Mrs Bloxham did have her hair high on her head, brunette, in the shape of a loose bun. She dressed extremely smartly, definitely an ‘eye catcher’. There was an incident in our class where Mrs Cockbain marched in demanding to know who was responsible for deliberatley flicking ink on Mrs Bloxham‘s clothing. I don’t think she actually named the teacher, but that it what was rumoured. As nobody was willing to admit this, we were all forced to hand in our fountain pens with our namea clearly sellotaped to them. Biros were handed out, and we were forbidden to use fountain pens for the rest of that term at least.

I didn’t know any girls really in the higher years, apart from the sister of my friend Susan Cleary. Her sister I think was called Pat Cleary, and she was at least 2 years higher. I remember her doing a stage performance with a male teacher, blonde hair, I’m almost certain it was Mr Williams. Anyway, on the stage she was supposed to trail oil on his bare back with a spoon of some sort, as he was lay down. The older girls at the back were shouting ‘use your hands‘, so she said ‘what the hell’ and went for it, much to great shock/applause of the audience. I‘ve often wondered if Mrs. Cockbain was aware, and how she reacted.

Do you remember practising the ‘cheer‘ for speech day, Hip hip hooraaaah, definitely not hooray. Lol
Hi, Re a teacher having ink flicked onto their clothes- I remember an incident in a Maths lesson, the teacher was Mr Smith I think and I was in 2nd year. My form was 2Z, so it would have been school year 1969-70. There was a group of girls who were really naughty and were always being rude and winding up the teacher. One of them flicked her fountain pen at him, when he had his back to us and the ink went all over the back of his suit. The class were horrified and felt that this had crossed the line. Playing a teacher up was one thing, but what she did was horrible. People in the class were intimidated by this particular pupil and quite frightened of her. So no one would tell Mrs Cockbain who had done it. I do remember her name, but not sure if this forum is the place to reveal it after all these years! I do know this incident made me decide to keep away from her and her friends. I had been hanging around with them for a while. I also remember our class were not allowed to use fountain pens, so this could be the incident you remember?

Back