• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Our childhood toys

• Thread starter Thread starter angeleyes
  • Start date Start date
Going back to trains - my dad bought me this loco must be mid to late '50's. It still sits in its original box but the writing on the lid faded into obscurity many years ago although I have managed to bring it back to life using the scanner. The engine ran on a 5-pole motor rather than the usual 3-pole which gave more flexibility at low speeds. The main problem I had was that the wheels including the flanges were true to scale so the track needed to be in good alignment to ensure a minimum of derailments - the wheels on Triang and Hornby locos had oversized flanges (I hope that's the correct terminology) to keep them in place,

P1010457b.JPG GEM002a.jpg

Last edited:
Going back to trains - my dad bought me this loco must be mid to late '50's. It still sits in its original box but the writing on the lid faded into obscurity many years ago although I have managed to bring it back to life using the scanner. The engine ran on a 5-pole motor rather than the usual 3-pole which gave more flexibility at low speeds. The main problem I had was that the wheels including the flanges were true to scale so the track needed to be in good alignment to ensure a minimum of derailments - the wheels on Triang and Hornby locos had oversized flanges (I hope that's the correct terminology) to keep them in place,

View attachment 191420 View attachment 191421
jukebox, I think that’s right I have been looking into model trains (with some guidance from Radiorails) and had a Hornby Duchess of Athol & Sir Nigel Gresley back in the day) and most all flanges are oversized and not true to scale but they work on someone’s carpet or uneven floor.

the triang loco had oversized flanges compared to modern locos they bump on the saddles of modern track but a bit of work and a grinder i have managed to grind the flanges down so they run ok over the points i do like the old triang xo3/xo4 motor powered toy locos they take a bit more current about 1 amp but are easy to service and maintain
1715430952826.jpeg

I collected Gollys for an enamel brooch & a pottery one. And cardboard. Kraaft vouchers for a record of Mary Poppins Lets Go Fly A Kite , not even toriginalbut I forgot what toys we got from the cornflake boxes. I used to collect little bachelor dog breeds, & bigger horses & deetr, from Woolies

Purchased a set of them from a joke shop in Blackpool . I would pretend to sneeze and throw them on the table to make out they had come out if my mouth. Great post great memories bring back joke shops stink bombs spray string etc.
False fingers and googly eyes on springs. I had a light up dickie and a huge rubber spider which propelled by a squeezy ball. Rude matchboxes & pens you tipped that had a clear top with oil in it. Whoopee cushions that foundd their way in to my office.

I had a rubber egg, great fun to drop it! The fake dog mess wasn't so popular. Dad had the bowtie, he wanted one that went round but it was more expensive. There was an inkstain made of metal and invisible ink.
Happy Days.
rosie.

Back