• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Is this family

Sandypants

Brummie babby
This photo was found in my brother’s effects, but we cannot fathom who it could be, or when it was taken. The studio is long since closed

Attachments

• IMG_2807.jpeg
    IMG_2807.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 40
nice photo but always frustrating when there is no info written on the back

lyn

Nice photograph, thanks for posting it and welcome to the Forum!

Shouts Edwardian to me, or a little into the Great War. The boy is wearing knickerbockers, a fashion which started in the second half of the 19th century and lasted well into the 20th. The lady may or may not be wearing something which was fashionable only for a brief time. Let's hope we have a member who knows a bit about this!

One possible way of pinning down the date a little is the lifespan of Highgate Studios (and its owner, W. Baker). There have been a lot of posts in this Forum about this business and it might be worth wading through them (having identified them by using the Forum Search function).

Good luck and please let us know about progress.

Chris

Well it’s a thought, but somehow I doubt it, how many people had photographs taken in those days. I cannot
even think what age they may be, are they brother and sister? Mother and son? Could be either.

hi again i was just thinking that who ever is in that photo most likely lived close to the studio...not sure if you know anything about your families history but if you have researched them did any of them live near moseley road....just a thought

lyn

Thanks Lyn, I have researched my tree way back, and I need to check back on my census records etc to check where
they all were living. I know many lived in Small Heath and that area, not sure how far that is, but not too far. I had been
concentrating on the ages and trying to match them up, but I really cannot tell the ages of this pair. My mother’s family
were from Dudley, and lived in and around Birmingham. Dad’s family were from Warwick. I will plod through my loads of
papers. Thanks for the thought, it all helps.
Sandra

Thanks Lyn, I have researched my tree way back, and I need to check back on my census records etc to check where
they all were living. I know many lived in Small Heath and that area, not sure how far that is, but not too far. I had been
concentrating on the ages and trying to match them up, but I really cannot tell the ages of this pair. My mother’s family
were from Dudley, and lived in and around Birmingham. Dad’s family were from Warwick. I will plod through my loads of
papers. Thanks for the thought, it all helps.
Sandra

ok sandra it was just an idea to maybe narrow it down a bit....having said that the photo could just be a random one but i doubt it..when you have time you can always give us a bit of family background ..ie names dates of birth etc and i am sure a few of us will take a look for you

lyn

Yes the photo is amazing Thank you Pedro, you did an amazing job. Sorry I thought I had said Thank you before,
but hadn’t actually posted it, I am new to forum’s. Thanks again.

I just put the picture into a new AI app called BlurBuster, and used Descratch and Enhance and this was the result. I used to use other apps but this seems quite good. It is a subscription app but looks to be worth it if you have lots of old photos.

Thanks Pedro, I don’t have very many old photo’s but then again, when I look through them I may have more than I think.
I will have to to go through my albums. It certainly did a good job of that one. Thank you.

Sandra

good point steve i cant see a wedding ring either..could even be brother and sister..i always find if difficult to put ages on people in those days

lyn

There seems to me to be the slightest suspicion of a ring on the correct finger in the AI adjusted image - but not in the original (which is worrying!). Also in the new image there is remarkable similarity between the nose/mouth area for both individuals which confirms the assumption of a close family relationship.

Total guesswork, but I should be looking for a 35-year-old mother born 1865/1875 photographed with her 13/14-year-old son……..

Chris

Last edited:
On the BlurBuster App you can just use it in the Descratch Mode. There are also modes to enlighten and colourise. When you use enhance you will get an interpretation.
As my use is mainly for landscape pictures it is working well reducing blur and grain in old pictures. I would be wary if I were using it for faces.

Just an observation.

I can not see a wedding ring on the woman. Maybe a Sister, or Aunt?

I have not zoomed in on the left hand, so it could just be my eyesight.. :D

Steve.
I zoomed in and could not see anything. As we know wearing a ring or not is not definitive even though is might be what we are looking for.

This is why I said I could vaguely detect a wedding ring on the correct finger - but AI image only.

Chris

Untitled-1.jpg

Back