• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bingley Hall dancing fountains

Sam65

proper brummie kid
Does anyone remember the amazing dancing fountains at Bingley Hall as part of Ideal Home Exhibition in 50s/60s?
The waters of all colours danced to music, as a child it was mesmerising.
Also I saw Arthur Askey I think, and the opening of BBC with Alan Freeman and was there a power cut?
And the joke stall and orange juice gadgets.
Thanks

Does anyone remember the amazing dancing fountains at Bingley Hall as part of Ideal Home Exhibition in 50s/60s?
Also I saw Arthur Askey I think, and the opening of BBC with Alan Freeman and was there a power cut?
Thanks
I think this is earlier than the '50s Sam and only in B/W......

Attachments

• dancing waters.jpg
    dancing waters.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 16
Thank you it’s great to have a photo even in black and white as I didn’t think there would be one! I think I saw the dancing water around 1959 - such beautiful colours - my annual visit to Bingley Hall was the highlight of the year with the waters and the many clever gadgets - especially with fruit juicing and cutting in to bird shapes.
I also bought joke cigarettes which gave off some sort of smoke - times have changed for the better - we used to have liquorice smokers outfits and fake tobacco strands.

Thank you it’s great to have a photo even in black and white as I didn’t think there would be one! I think I saw the dancing water around 1959 - such beautiful colours - my annual visit to Bingley Hall was the highlight of the year with the waters and the many clever gadgets - especially with fruit juicing and cutting in to bird shapes.
I also bought joke cigarettes which gave off some sort of smoke - times have changed for the better - we used to have liquorice smokers outfits and fake tobacco strands.
I recall the dancing waters at Bingley Hall in the early 60’s, quite an impressive spectacle with the coloured lighting and various water jets spinning about to the music. It was an interesting complement to the ideal home exhibition. As you say, lots of gimmicky household gadgets. Those sales reps had the gift of the gab with their well-rehearsed sales patter.

I too recall those fake cigarettes; they had a grey powder into them that resembles smoke when you blew into them

I recall the dancing waters at Bingley Hall in the early 60’s, quite an impressive spectacle with the coloured lighting and various water jets spinning about to the music. It was an interesting complement to the ideal home exhibition. As you say, lots of gimmicky household gadgets. Those sales reps had the gift of the gab with their well-rehearsed sales patter.

I too recall those fake cigarettes; they had a grey powder into them that resembles smoke when you blew into them
Ah, Bingley Hall.......The Boys & Girls Exhibition!!

Ah, Bingley Hall.......The Boys & Girls Exhibition!!
exhibitors there, all geared up for young people.

The army set up a parachute practice drop tower; I had three goes at that. The navy had a zip line and there was a mock up apollo space capsule.

I also think there was either a Lancaster or wellington bomber that you could juts explore too.

It really was a good exhibition for kids.

I do remember the Dancing Waters. Loved them. I think they were always shown at the Ideal Home Exhibition at Bingley Hall. I think it was always around my birthday in October. I used to go most years with my Mom and Dad. From memory it was all about household gadgets, and I am fairly certain they used to erect a house inside the hall and kit it out. You used to have to queue up to go around.
I used to like collecting the leaflets that the stalls were giving out. Don’t ask me why I did that. But happy days from the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Thanks
I agree 100%, my Nan had to drag me away from it, I just stood in awe and could have watched it all day (in fact, I think I nearly did). It is the only thing that I can really still remember about going there, other than the sports arena. :)

1717077520517.png

I remember the dancing waters at Bingley Hall. Dad entered some of my early paintings into an art exhibition for children and remember getting a highly recommended. Still enjoy doing my art in retirement

I too remember the Daily Mail Ideal Home exhibition. I was fascinated by one or two stands that had film projectors above head height back projecting their wares onto a screen. I was captivated by the 'Bingoscope' toy projectors stand and loved the 'dancing waters'.

Back