• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mystery of missing Birmingham Boulders

These erratic’s have been known as Warstone’s, hence a couple of Warstone Roads in Birmingham called by the same name. The one by Warstone cemetery is still there, by the gate house.

I know of one in Romsley, just by the old Bell Heath Country Study Centre and my mom said there was one in Ward End Park

There's a big boulder in the grounds of a building in Jennens Road before you come to Grosvenor St. But I don't think this is an erratic? I think it is just a lump of rock put there for interest.

Some boulders here ... maybe they have since
been moved ...
This is the only image I have that shows the two boulders but to my certain knowledge the smaller one was still there in the 50's but it was a lot closer to the larger one. Apparently they were brought down from Wales some 16,000 years ago in a glacier and they were dug out when the lake was excavated. It's a wonder the Welsh haven't demanded they be returned. Perhaps that's where the smaller one has gone.
index.php

Last edited:
Apart from the ones mentioned above, there was one such rock in Farm Park, off Farm Rd in Sparkbrook. In the 1950s we kids used to climb on it and we were convinced it was a meteorite. I don't think it's still there.
Well Ray T! We may have met at that time (late 1950's). Farm Park was our nearest park when we lived in Auckland Road, Sparkbrook. The only thing is I was so short at that time that I rarely managed to reach the top. When i did, you just slid off as I remember that it had a very smooth surface and was a dark grey colour.
I think that this boulder was mentioned on another post somewhere?

In 1910 The British Association for the advancement of Science, at their annual meeting, discussed erratics.

Boulders from SW Scotland, especially from the Kirkenbright district, are scattered across the lowlands as far S as Wolverhampton, Bridgnorth and Church Stretton. Another stream of erratics from the neighbourhood of the Arenig mountains pass near Rugeley, Birmingham and Bromsgrove, and also Rowsley Hill.

They add that Boulders from the basalt mass of Rowley Regis have travelled in some cases 4 or 5 miles

In 1884 Birmingham Philosophical Society informs that in Stirchley the Marley clay contains contains several erratics.

In 1886 The Rev Dr. Crosskey wrote a paper pointing out that boulders were found in the Birmingham district came from Scotland, Wales and the Lakes, as well as nearer home.

Found this article on the one in Northfield that was moved to another place.

Another monolith not far from Birmingham in West Park, Wolverhampton (From Black Country remembered, by Douglas, Alton.)
Wolverhampton seem to look after their erratics, and now part of the Black Country Geosite.

“This geosite is particularly important for its range of well displayed and easy access glacial erratics that are thoughtfully placed around its many footpaths and recreational areas. A number of these erratics have interpretation associated with them explaining their points of origin. The flat landscape here reflects the till plain on which it sits above a very low relief Permo-Triass bedrock shelf adjacent to the western edge of the coalfield.”

CFFA35FB-4D5A-48F8-9EF0-C5D538706A89.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is one for Lady P to ponder, from a book written in 1860…History of the forest and chase of Sutton Coldfield. Publication date 1860.

“…as well as the fact that in the year 1853-4 a large stone was turned out of a hedge-row on the hill; it measured about five feet in length and two feet in width and thickness, and was of a fine grained, hard, dark, substance, apparently limestone or trap; but it was unfortunately broken up for the roads before its nature could be ascertained. It was much worn, and retained no marks of a tool.”

Was it an erratic or a stone used by those Druids ?

Back