• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Slade Road Junior and Infant School Erdington

villamickey

villamickey
Hello , can anyone give me help regarding my schooling memories in bham about 1950 , I left bham with my parents in the 50s but they are both deceased and I can’t ask anyone else , we lived in erdington in the 40s before moving to sparkhill in the 40s , Newton rd , I vaguely remember going to a school on the Stratford rd called the Orpnanage, not attending for long before going to a school near the cinama near the park (slade rd)? Does anyone recall these locations , We moved back to Erdington in the early 50s before my parents bought a boarding house in Blackpool ( 1958) , I’m in my 70s now but still think about brum but can’t recall much thank you Mike Thompson

I went through Slade Road Primary School to the Senior School and then to Erdington Boys (from 1961 to 1972).
Teachers I remember were:
Slade Road Primary:
Mr Conduct (Head Teacher)
Miss Hope
Mr Fleming
Mr Robyn Whittle
Slade Road Senior & Erdington Boys:
Mr Dawes (Head Teacher)
Mr Hayden-Jones (English & Deputy Head Teacher)
Mr Nelson (P.E)
Mr Lewis (Biology)
Mr Deardon
Mr Wittle
Mr Evans (Pysics)
Mr "Killer" Cordon (Technical Drawing)
Mr "Scratchit" Hitchcock (Maths) sported hearing aides.
Mr Summerville (Geography) hails from Northumberland which he called God's country.
Looking back the education wasn't all that good but I enjoyed going because the student camaraderie was great.

Last edited:
I went through Slade Road Primary School to the Senior School and then to Erdington Boys (from 1961 to 1972).
Teachers I remember were:
Slade Road Primary:
Mr Conduct (Head Teacher)
Miss Hope
Mr Fleming
Slade Road Senior & Erdington Boys:
Mr Dawes (Head Teacher)
Mr Hayden-Jones (English & Deputy Head Teacher)
Mr Nelson (P.E)
Mr Lewis (Biology)
Mr Deardon
"Killer" (Technical Drawing)
Looking back the education wasn't all that good but I enjoyed going because the student camaraderie was great.
I was in the year below you I think and moved to the new Erdington Boys School to be one of their first 1st Year intake. I recall Mr Conduct and the Head who replaced him at Slade Road Mr Spinks. Teachers that I recall were Miss West, Mrs Harkin (deputy head), Miss Tooney, Miss Staunton, Mrs Gorkrodgers and at senior school Trefor Jones (English). My father also went to Slade Road in the 30's - early 40's.

I also went to Slade Road Senior School for four months and then was decanted to the new Erdington Boys Schools. Here is a photo of Mr (Killer) Cordeon the Technical Drawing teacher. He actually was a decent chap and very knowledgeable.View attachment 195479
Mr "Killer" Cordon. I absolutely looked up to him and loved his lessons. It use to amuse us the way he rubbed his chalk work off the blackboard, both arms in motion. And his handwriting on the blackboard was perfectly scripted. Legend has it that he got the name "Killer" from being a wrestler. don't know what type, masked or unmasked?

Last edited:
In all honesty, I cannot recall anyone in that photo. Now you mention it, I think I had heard the wrestler rumour too.

Back