• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Wretford

  1. W

    Violin Manufacture in Birmingham

    I have since found out that David Evans was born in November 1941. So my guess wasn't far out!
  2. W

    Violin Manufacture in Birmingham

    Just a thought. The little film I referred to ('Village of Violins') which featured David's apprenticeship in Mittenwald was released in 1960. David would have been around 20 at the time, meaning he was born c.1940. It would also mean he was around 40 when I met him in the shop in Birmingham...
  3. W

    Violin Manufacture in Birmingham

    William Piper was still at the Jinney Ring Centre, Hanbury Road, Bromsgrove in about 2010 when we visited. He was born in 1948. I didn't know that David Evans taught - I guess evening classes, if it took three years to make a violin!
  4. W

    Violin Manufacture in Birmingham

    The 'alleyway' photograph of Sydney Evan's premises is charming, and to think it survived to 1966. From there the business was taken to near the Jewellery Quarter, 45 Regent Place B1 3NB. What that address doesn't tell you was that in fact the violin shop was on the first floor - at first glance...
  5. W

    Violin Manufacture in Birmingham

    In case it's of any interest, being a student at the Birmingham School of Music in the 1970's, I remember the Thomas Smith shop as it was just off Broad Street next to the Repertory Theatre. All destroyed now for the new library and the concert hall. Thomas Smith was the name of an English...
Back
Top