• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Zissmans

dennis

master brummie
Watching the TV programme last night,"The way we Were",(great Programme) I noticed in the background one shop I had completely forgotten,
Chetwyn's, it was a gent's outfitters and I think it later became Zissman's

Anyone any info or memoriesphotos of Zissmans. Shops in Union St and Bull St. Gents Outfitters also selling modern clothing for early 70 to mid 70s. Very popular to various ages and celebrities. Only other competetitors were Nelson House. I remember Ben Sherman, Brutus, Jaytex and two ton trousers etc. Thank you.

Anyone any info or memoriesphotos of Zissmans. Shops in Union St and Bull St. Gents Outfitters also selling modern clothing for early 70 to mid 70s. Very popular to various ages and celebrities. Only other competetitors were Nelson House. I remember Ben Sherman, Brutus, Jaytex and two ton trousers etc. Thank you.
Thank you for all the info. I know Brick Lane was a Jewish quarter. Also famous for riots. Zissmans in The 60s and late 70s was owned by Sir Bernard Zissman. Former Lord Mayor of Birmingham and I think his father David Zissman. My father was manager of the shops in Bull St and Union St and a shop in Cov. The one shop if I recall was under the subway? My dad was manager until he sadly passed away in 1975. I recall working at the age of 15 on a Saturday. I recall a shop called Barrows and a coffee shop and a kiosk. Thanks again. Appreciated.

I worked for shopfitters G.W.Stokes that fitted and decorated their shops during the 1960's and also their residencies. I remember Bernard Zissman more than his dad. I think I recall Bernard lived in the Harborne area, possibly Somerset road and we decorated it throughout inside and out.

I worked for shopfitters G.W.Stokes that fitted and decorated their shops during the 1960's and also their residencies. I remember Bernard Zissman more than his dad. I think I recall Bernard lived in the Harborne area, possibly Somerset road and we decorated it throughout inside and out.
Thank you, yes correct where he lived then. Not sure now. Memories hey, I still remember the layout of the shops even now. Always some great memories, help and great people on this site. Always get help after all these yrs.

Thanks Vivienne, my dad was manager at Bull Street. Possibly 60s. Wasn't aware of West Brom and Dudley. Unsure if the last 2 shops lasted. They also had a shop in Cov. I was 15 when I worked on a Saturday. I was 14 when working in a butchers. Never forget scrubbing the wooden meat tables. Much appreciated as always on this great site.

Thanks Vivienne, my dad was manager at Bull Street. Possibly 60s. Wasn't aware of West Brom and Dudley. Unsure if the last 2 shops lasted. They also had a shop in Cov. I was 15 when I worked on a Saturday. I was 14 when working in a butchers. Never forget scrubbing the wooden meat tables. Much appreciated as always on this great site.
I don't recall Zisman shops in West Brom or Dudley either. It was a long time ago but I seem to remember the old man Zissman was short and had grey hair and a thin moustache like Walker from dads army. :p When we worked at their house I remember all the door frames had a little scroll thing in the top corner, something to do with the Jewish religion. He did tell us about what they represented and not to get paint on them but I can't recall why after all this time.

EDIT:
I just Googled it : A mezuzah is a small case affixed to the doorframe of each room in Jewish homes and workplaces which contains a tiny scroll of parchment inscribed with a prayer. It is customary for religious Jews to touch the mezuzah every time they pass through a door and kiss the fingers that touched it.

I don't recall Zisman shops in West Brom or Dudley either. It was a long time ago but I seem to remember the old man Zissman was short and had grey hair and a thin moustache like Walker from dads army. :p When we worked at their house I remember all the door frames had a little scroll thing in the top corner, something to do with the Jewish religion. He did tell us about what they represented and not to get paint on them but I can't recall why after all this time.

EDIT:
I just Googled it : A mezuzah is a small case affixed to the doorframe of each room in Jewish homes and workplaces which contains a tiny scroll of parchment inscribed with a prayer. It is customary for religious Jews to touch the mezuzah every time they pass through a door and kiss the fingers that touched it.
That would probably be David Zissman. Bernards dad, who is still going last time I looked. Interesting regarding The Jewish tradition. You probably knew Bernard was not a Labour Councillor also Lord Mayor among and other things. Thank you.

You near Brick Lane at all. Going back many years when there was rioting then in The Jewish Quarter.
There are very few Jewish people in that area now - too expensive and trendy! The Whitechapel end is mainly Bangladeshi people now.
No, I live in Stamford Hill, about 4 miles away, where there is a very large community of Orthodox Jewish people.

Nelson House Birmingham Carrs Lane I think ( picture from Birmingham Live Nostalgia)
1667557541986.jpeg

Zissmans in Dale End
I bet not many forum members would remember Zissmans in Dale End. I bought a sweater from that shop a long time ago !
index.php

(pic only visible if logged in)

Note the wooden gate across the entrance, it's not much use for security so probably intended to keep courting couples from using it late at night. Back then car ownership among teenagers was rare so they had to use the bus after a cuddle in a shop doorway.

Note the wooden gate across the entrance, it's not much use for security so probably intended to keep courting couples from using it late at night. Back then car ownership among teenagers was rare so they had to use the bus after a cuddle in a shop doorway.
Yes, security was not a great issue in those days, if you look at the picture earlier in the thread Nelson House and all the clothes on view outside I cannot see that being a good move today .
Half the stock would be gone in minutes!!

Hello, I remember a Zissman's at the corner of Navigation St and John Bright St (or there abouts). Very flash, they must have sold zoot suits etc. Not my cup of tea. Above it was the Guinness Clock. There was always at least one of the neon lights on the clock not working. My theory was that this was deliberate. Going by on the bus you would look up to see what was missing and get a sub-liminal Guinness reminder of 'dirty Liffey water'. This is a drink I still like. Then Black Velvet was a popular drink, properly Guinness + champagne but + cider for hoi polloi like 'oi'.

The shop on the corner of Navigation St and John Bright St was Chetwyns see below.
I've previously been mixed up about Zissmans and have a post on the forum saying I bought a sweater from their shop in Snow Hill when they never had a shop in Snow Hill ... :)
City John Bright St (2).jpg

The shop on the corner of Navigation St and John Bright St was Chetwyns see below.
I've previously been mixed up about Zissmans and have a post on the forum saying I bought a sweater from their shop in Snow Hill when they never had a shop in Snow Hill ... :)
View attachment 174684
This photo brings back so many memories from the 1950's & 60's I used to catch the number 22 bus to Weoley Castle in Navigation street, further down there past the GARAGE CAR PARK sign was a tool shop and they had a realistic model of a human hand, it showed a broken wooden handle with the metal part of a screwdriver stuck right in the palm of the hand complete with blood. It was to advertise a screwdriver with an unbreakable handle.
As a child I always used to want to look at it when I came into town with my mum. Does anyone remember that ?

Zissmans in Dale End
Just seen your post. Many thanks, didn't know they had a shop in Dale End, wow. I recall my dad was manager in Union Street and Bull Street underpass. The shop I recall in Union Street, was I'm sure near Halford, not sure. So the shop in Dale end must have closed. Union Street was obviously more prominent. My old man could sell snow to the Eskimos. Many famous Brummie would go into the shop. Thanks again.

Thank you for the info. Nelson House were the main. Competition for Zissmans, my dad would look in their window daily to compare prices. Was just down the road from Zissmans. Shirts, Jaytex, Brutus, Ben Sherman, tank tops, 2 tone trousers etc. Memories.
Have a look at the link for a walk down memory lane

Back