• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yew Tree House, Sutton Coldfield

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I'm trying to discover when Yew Tree House was built. It became Anstey College in about 1907 and was run by Rhoda Anstey until it was taken over by Staffordshire.

There is a lovely picture on the thread below which concerns the PE College but it's the original owner/builder I'm trying to discover. Judging by the style of the building it's probably from around 1840 (it's like the houses on Sutton Road / Lyndhurst Estate used to be.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/anstey-college.35949/page-2

Although the PC says that it's Erdington it's 'sometimes' in Sutton Coldfield. It's another one of those properties which seems to hop about.

Hi Lyn, I've had time to look and there's quite a lot of information on that site I hadn't seen before so really useful. Thanks again.

That's very interesting Pedro. My only problem is that I don't think that there was any property adjoining 'our' Yew Tree House in 1832. Whatever property the above refers to it must have been sizeable though. 13 bedsteads!

As it just says "premises" it could be an adjoining building being used for the sale. This could be 'our' Yew Tree House. If so it was built before 1832.

Yes Janice, that's very true. It's all in the way you read it isn't it? It was a large property and John Sheldon was living there as a wine merchant and farmer of 65 acres. Must look and see if I can find any maps.

He was living in Snow Hill, Birmingham in 1851 so whoever was holding the sale wasn't him. He would only have been 2 anyway! He died in 1896 and it looks as if the property was sold to Rhona Anstey although she didn't seem to move in straight away.

Posting a copy of the picture from the Anstey College thread. Curiously it's in Erdington.

Attachments

• Anstey College.jpg
    Anstey College.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 19
I did look for maps but online ones are later. Rhoda moved in during early 1900s I think. Will do some more digging later. It's that boundary again!!

Last edited:
nice pic pen would you say that the netting going across was tennis courts and is the house still there by some miracle

lyn

Sorry for delay - I knew the college no longer existed but wasn't sure about the house. According to a google search: in 1975 the college became part of, the then, Birmingham Polytechnic. The building on Chester Road was still used until 1981. The old building was sold off, demolished and housing built.
First map marks Yew Tree House - 1889. Second map Anstey college surrounded by houses - 1914. Third map - present day - red marker shows where the house was.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-11_22-48-30.png
    upload_2018-8-11_22-48-30.png
    228.8 KB · Views: 18
  • upload_2018-8-11_22-50-37.png
    upload_2018-8-11_22-50-37.png
    279.1 KB · Views: 18
  • upload_2018-8-11_22-53-4.png
    upload_2018-8-11_22-53-4.png
    339.8 KB · Views: 19
I'm trying to discover when Yew Tree House was built. It became Anstey College in about 1907 and was run by Rhoda Anstey until it was taken over by Staffordshire.

There is a lovely picture on the thread below which concerns the PE College but it's the original owner/builder I'm trying to discover. Judging by the style of the building it's probably from around 1840 (it's like the houses on Sutton Road / Lyndhurst Estate used to be.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/anstey-college.35949/page-2

Although the PC says that it's Erdington it's 'sometimes' in Sutton Coldfield. It's another one of those properties which seems to hop about.
Your right it did move about the original ran through the middle of the Greyhound Pub in Court Lane you used to by a pint in Sutton and spend a 1d in Birmingham until the boarder change up the middle of Chester Road

If you are interested in the History Of Sutton Coldfield a very good is by Roger Lea Scenes from Suttons Past unfortunely it doesn't mention Yew Tree House

Back