• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ye Old Green Man/The Lad in the Lane

Earliest known photo of Ye Old Green Man (Lad In The Lane) Erdington about 1895.
Second photo stripped down to it's timbers and rebuilt in 1915
So sad to see Frothy. While i lived in Erdington many years ago, I frequented the 'Lad' a good few times.... Take care buddy. Mayfield

Rano, I was in the Central Library yesterday checking on Electoral Registers for "my area" which includes Bromford Lane and I came across these 2 bits.

1906/06 Register of Electors
Frederick Charles Wiseman
Green Man, Bromford Lane. Also The Gate, Lichfield Rd, Aston Manor.

1912/13 Register of Electors
William Garratty
Old Green Man, Bromford Lane. Also 17 Alleyene Rd, Erdington.

Funnily enough some of my relations were living in Alleyene Road at the same time. Also, my Grandad played football for the "Lad" in the early 1900s. This photo still hangs in one of the pub's rooms. I have it thanks to a regular visitor, Frothblower!
Frederick Charles Wiseman was a distant cousin of mine. He was born in Handsworth in1862. He did OK as he left £6432 in his estate! Never married or had kids!

News is the Lad In The Lane is going to be a Indian grill bar. Good news at least the building will be saved.
Can anyone give me an update on The Lad in the Lane, the building was owned by my mothers family in the 1760-1780s the Dawson Family it was during their ownership that it became a pub. Is it about to get saved or knocked down or fired.

I was invited into the Lad last week by the 2 men who are working upstairs. they've put locks on each bedroom. They say they don't know themselves, but it certainly looks like it's going to be a HMO to me, Birmingham conservation will not be pleased to hear about that, they where told it was not going to be an HMO by the owners.
Downstairs the the bar and the lounge area are still completely gutted out ( sad sight). I was told there will be a door put in to stop anyone getting into the bar area from upstairs.

I was invited into the Lad last week by the 2 men who are working upstairs. they've put locks on each bedroom. They say they don't know themselves, but it certainly looks like it's going to be a HMO to me, Birmingham conservation will not be pleased to hear about that, they where told it was not going to be an HMO by the owners.
Downstairs the the bar and the lounge area are still completely gutted out ( sad sight). I was told there will be a door put in to stop anyone getting into the bar area from upstairs.

Thanks for the update on the Lad in the Lane, sad that it as come to this after being named the oldest pub in Birmingham what was that about saving our pubs and our heritage.

Back