• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley Cemetery

N

Neville Philpott

Outside the main gates of Yardley cemetery there used to be a house that sat on the junction of Yardley Road and Stockfield Road.

I believe that this was the house of the senior registrar for the cemetery across the road.

Does anyone know anything about the house or remember it, and possibly have a picture?

many thanks..

I remember this building, used to pass it on a regular basis in '40's and '50's. Must confess I always thought it was the cemetery offices. Maybe it is listed in the cemetery records.

Hi Geofred,

Yes, I also remember that when I passed it daily on the no 11 bus to school in the second
half of the 1950's, it was definitely the Cometery Office.

Kind regards

Dave

If its the one i'm thinking off it's flattened now. Its now part of Jacksons Garden centre next door,

Hi Folks, thought I would do a little delving for this thread, hope you don't mind. I remember the house on the corner, which I believe became a Neighbourhood Office and was later boarded up.
I also used to pass by on the number 11 in the late 70's after I had left school and started my second job which was at The Christadelphian Home and Hospital in Sherbourne Road. Yardley Road is a road I still go down often now.
When the house was demolished, I remember thinking.... there goes another lovely old building.
I think the building was possibly Broadyates as shown in this map from 1904 below.
Broadyates, Yardley cemetery 1904 a.jpg

The Kelly's Directory for 1940 lists, 357 Yardley Road, Caseley, Percy I, Yardley Cemetery Office (P.I Caseley, Registrar) as the first building between Stockfield Road and Mansfield Road.
359 which can still be seen today was on the other side of Stockfield and in 1940 was listed as White, Leslie Norman. White J & Sons, Monumental Mason.
I was a bit confused for a while because Yardley Memorials (present) which is next to 359 is numbered 453 Yardley Road, but that building was presumably built much later.

In 1901 and 1911 Broadyates was occupied by Henry Crane and his family. Henry was a File Manufacturer.
Henry Crane is still listed in Kelly's at 357 in 1915.

I have not yet found when it became the Cemetery office, but have now narrowed it down to somewhere between 1915 and 1940..hopefully someone will have access to Kelly's in between those years.

Last edited:
Many of my family are buried in Yardley Cemetery . I grew up in Small Heath and was allowed to visit the library on my own. When I'd finished there I would wander into the cemetery and explore around my Grandparents graves. I was quite happy there and feel this must have triggered my love of family history. My uncle was also Registrar at Yardley. This would be around 1958. My Dad told me that my uncle was concerned at the vulnerability of the records eg from damp, fire, etc and he worked hard to make sure that the filing cabinets were up dated and fire proof. How far sighted ! I visited the cemetery a few years ago for my own research and left a comment in the new offices just inside the main gate. My uncles office was in a old house at the far end of that drive. As a matter of interest my uncle's name was Norman Philpott. Could he be related to Neville Philpott ?

Outside the main gates of Yardley cemetery there used to be a house that sat on the junction of Yardley Road and Stockfield Road.

I believe that this was the house of the senior registrar for the cemetery across the road.

Does anyone know anything about the house or remember it, and possibly have a picture?

many thanks..

I think the Housing Dept had it for office use before it was demolished.

Broadyates House, Stockfield Rd, Yardley. I have attended several funerals when this house was still standing and someone would get out of the lead car and enter for a few moments and then reappear and get back in and then the funeral would proceed.

Attachments

• Yardley Stockfield Rd Broadyates House  .jpg
    Yardley Stockfield Rd Broadyates House .jpg
    140 KB · Views: 42
Sorry forgot to add, if that doesn't work try ringing this number.

Yardley Rd, Birmingham B25 8NA
0121 708 1831

Back