• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yardley Cemetery Acocks Green

Gill Wiseman

proper brummie kid
Could anyone advise me how I can find the burial records for Yardley Church. I know the death was in 1938 and they lived in Church Rd so presume they would have been buried there.
Any help appreciated.
Gill

Yardley Cemetery

Thank you for your help. Have found contact info so will e-mail them to find out how I can find the grave.:)

I have a REALLY big favour to ask...are you going to Yardley Cemetary on 4th May??? If so could you kindly have a look at the Book of Rememberance for the inscription for JEMIMA GREEN, aged 83, who died 04/05/1956 ??? I had every intention of getting into Yardley myself to find this inscription...but I am now going to be visiting relatives on that day ( in Scotland) so have no chance of doing this . Any help on this request will be MUCH APPRECIATED.

Regards,
Margaret.

Hello Skylark.

I do go to Yardley Cemetery on occassions cannot guarantee will be attending on the date you mention but will record details just in case.

Better to have several replies than non at all . Will do my best,

Shady

Hi Margaret,

As Shady says better to have several replies. I have noted the details and will do my best to pop up on that date and look for you.

Ann

Hello Shadey & Ann....I would not expect anyone to go of their way to help me in this lookup...if anyone is going there anyway I will certainly appreciate them making a note of the details for me...

My thanks to you both.

regards,
Margaret.

Hello Skylark,

Hope you have a nice time in Scotland. I have been to Yardley Cemetery and looked at the books of rememberance. There certainly is an entry in one of them the inscription is for Jemima Green born 26th September 1872 died 4th may 1954.

Shady.

Hello Shady,
I really do appreciate you taking the time to look at the book of rememberance for me...MANY THANKS !...

NOTE: Scotland was WET WET WET !! ;)

Regards,
Margaret.

My Grandfather died on Jan 23 1943 and was intered in the family grave in Yardley Cemetery, Alcocks Green on 28th Jan 1943. Would it be possible for someone to visit the grave site and tell me if there is a headstone and what if anything is inscribed on it.

Many thanks

Ron

As a minor point of information Yardley cemetery is in South Yardley (B25), and not in Acock's Green (B27). Part of the cemetery's boundary is right on the boundary between the two districts, where it abuts the canal.

More info at
<https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=Bereavement%2FPageLayout&cid=1223092549925&pagename=BCC%2FCommon%2FWrapper%2FWrapper>

I could visit the cemetery to-morrow and take a photograph? Is anyone else planning to go, if so i'll leave it.

Regards

Steve

Hi Ron.

I went to Yardley cemetery to-day to view the grave of Thomas Cecil Rogers. The grave is located in section 42 and is number 42753. Unfortunately the grave has no headstone, is of flatbed (grassed over) with a small jagged stone surround. Burial records for both church and cemetery are viewable at the Birmingham Reference Library on Microfische. Obviously if if you know where and when finding details are easy.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve
Many many thanks for the photos
As you can appreciate this is the first time i've ever seen my grandfathers grave and I feel quite sad that there is no headstone
Ive travelled a lot in the outbacks of Australia and there are many such lonley unmarked graves and I find it very sobering to stand at these grave sites and wonder who is intered there

Again

thanks

Ron

On the question of there being no headstone - My Father's grave has no marker. The reason being that he opted, indeed insisted, he was to be buried along with his first wife (he had bought a plot that could take 3 and intended to get his money's worth). My Mother to some surprise complied. My Mother was not prepared to have a headstone due to the circumstances and my half brother (upon my Mother's death) decided to leave well alone. Lack of a headstone may be for varied reasons which many years later we know nothing of.

Hi Steve

Would you be able to look up the records and find who else if anynoe is buried in the grave, on the memorial card i have it states that the grave is a "Family grave"

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron

You will need to contact Yardley cemetery for this. Give them the details that you have, name, grave number, and section and they should be able to advise you. There are some occasions where they may advise you of a charge for information. However being as you have the above information this should not apply. Tell them that you are enquiring from Western Australia which may help your cause further. The office at Yardley get many requests for family history related information so if you e mail them you may not get an answer back for maybe 7/10 days, it all depends on their work load. Let me know how you get on, and if you need my help further.

Yardley Cemetery and Crematorium
Yardley Road, South Yardley, Birmingham B25 8NA
Tel: 0121 708 1831 or 0121 708 2183
Fax: 0121 706 9142
E-mail: yardleycem&[email protected]

All the best

Steve

Hi ron
further to steves information if you have not got any graves number when you contact them
as long as you know the date of death and internments period meaning the year and there full names along with age they will help you
but sadly as you are across the globe you cannot attend in person as steve said you can email them with details and they are very helpful
and as you cannot appear in person they will charge you but in person they do not charge you you would have waited and if they aint busy
they track it down for you and they also give you a map with the graves number on it and the list of whom is in the grave a well
but as you are going to do it by post they will make a small charge
a couple of years agobi went there my self and asked by name the named grand parents and the year they were burried and with in twenty mins they came out and gave me a amap and the details and even came out of the office and pointed me down the right pathe all free of charge
best wishes astonian

Both my parents cremated there, No headstone ashes scattered in front of the building, John Crump

Back