• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WWII Gas Mask

Maybe there were different types, but the ones I remember seeing (memories from just after war) were definitely black. This is confirmed by mention on https://www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/war/gasmasks.htm. And I would have thought rubber would have perished a bit by now and cracked. The NBR on the mask would be for Nitrile butadiene rubber, Thei was only invented in the late 1938, so doubt if it would hav ebeen used in early masks , though possibly ones produced later in the war . Apparently the rubber was first produced in US around 1938. Gas mask production in the uk began in 1938

Walter Medley lived to the ripe old age of 96, his wife to 97, deaths reg. the same qtr 1978. Sadly, their 2 children predeceased them and no apparent grandchildren.

This is an object I picked up in a junk shop recently. I think it’s a WWII civilian gasmask. Am I correct and can anyone tell me any more information about it?

Thanks.

View attachment 185191View attachment 185192View attachment 185193

Couple of links to this type of mask here:

Did not realise until reading about these that they contained asbestos, which could be breathed in if it broke down

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Brought back memories there Morturn. They were all the same except for size and for young children. We used to carry them everywhere, an offence not to. While at school we were often having practice sessions how to put them on and off.
Looked on the map and found Witham is in Essex, I wonder how it got up here [if you bought it in Birmingham area]

Neither did I. We used to play with old ones in my Nan's attic as kids in the 50s
Not good, all about the asbestos in them Morturn please do not wear it unless the asbestos has been removed. Nice piece of memorabilia though.

Anti-Gas, General Civilian Respirator,​

Have something similar, but different - once belonging to an Walsall ARP warden. Part of this collage but unfortunately not readily to hand so that I can't provide a better image. Don't know whether this was civilian issue or ARP but it looks rather more eloborate and better made.

Chris

Collage1.jpg

Don't know if Moturn has found out much about his acquisition yet but there's an image of one online which appears very similar (historylinksarchive.org.uk) and has this description:

WW2 gas mask​

Date Added: 11 March 2009Year: 1939Institution Name: dnhhlCat No: | 2001_247 | Picture No: 7381
Gas mask for civilian use in 1939-45 war; metal and rubber, with canvas straps and perspex window, stamped "N.B.R.12 37 3320". In original box. CAUTION contains asbestos. Gas mask has two iron safety pins attached to the canvas straps as well as a metal buckle, all of which are rusting. Original cardboard box has rusting metal staples along one side. There is string threaded through it to aid carriage. On the bottom of the box is the word "TOP". Several white labels stuck on outside - one has "Gifted to Heritage Society by Mrs Joan Leslie, Proncy Croy Mackay 29.3.88" and another has "Mr Bell". Box is a little battered and has been repaired with old cellatape. The base of the mask has been newly secured with tape where the asbestos is contained. [The children's respirator, with a 'nose' and red colour to make it less frightening can be seen at picture #8291]

Dimensions: Length175 mm - Width 138 mm depth 105 mm

(Have to say I'm surprised that it is as simple - and flimsy even - as it seems to be. I remember the ones in our household - apart from my micky-mouse one in coloured rubber - being much more substantial things. Never got used, thank goodness).

Chris

Thak you all again for your contributions, all of them valid, all of them amazing.

I have always been fascinated by objects from the past, they can tell remarkable stories. As I always say, history is not to be seen as a set of facts, it is a place of possibilities.

It a shame about the potential of asbestos in the filter. I have offered it to Avon Croft Museum, as they have set the prefab out in the 1940 wartime style. I’ll let you know if they accept.

Back