• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

WW1 medals J G Davis Royal Warwickshire Regiment - recovered 2007

Saw that this morning but didn't catch the name, like wise hope they get reunited especially with the 100th anniversary of the start of the war looming, maybe more people will be looking so hope he gets them sorted

Bewdley, good post and a "well done" to that Policeman for recovering those precious medals from some Low life then
purchasing the medals himself at Police auction of unclaimed items.

To get more site coverage could this thread be moved ( or another one be started ) to Surnames maybe ; Davis, J G, WW1 Medals
then hopefully a "Davis" family history researcher may pick it up and spread it about ?
Hope the Medals go "Home" to some folks who will honour & preserve them. John Y

J.G. Davis service no 5483. I am sure someone will help such a kind gesture.

Last edited by a moderator:
I responded to the appeal in last week's Solihull Observer having done some research. They said the writer of the story would get back to me. Did not happen. Left my phone number on the policeman's answer phone. No reply.

He was Joseph G Davis, Private, Royal Warwicks. Went to France 18.7.15 which makes him 10th Bn. Entitled to the 15 Star but only the two basic war medals were recovered. No surviving service record. No silver war badge. Could have been involved
Neuve Chapelle for early trrench experience. Somme 1916 - La Boiselle, Mamez, Bazentin Le Petit, High Wood and Battle of the Ancre. Battle of Messines 1917. Third Ypres

Thank you Colin for giving the details of the Lost Medal site...new to me I must say...but I will give it a go for my granddads WW1 medals....probably not lost or stolen but I have never heard that anyone in the family has them in their care. So I know what I will be doing this evening !! This is why I love this site...you never know what you will learn from day to day. Thanks again, Colin. Margaret.

HI GUYS
I My self seen this call out for the owners or family of the missing medals
the other week ;from the police officier ;
but today i was at wobbly hill car boot sales stourport and seen guys selling medals ; but the real reason i am saying is there was an eldely gentleman selling old and fairly new books of brum and guess what i had bought a book off him for 3 punds fifty pence mint condition and it was written by michael minton from selly park before he died ; and the book is called HEROES , of the birmingham Air raids; and covers a great deal of history and information of our lost friends but also a long list in lpebetical order of all the medal owners given along with pictures of the medals of all orders and there is davies wwi listed with the name and itiatials
Also i purchased another book from this man fo 5 pounds mint condition
written by our one and only carl chinn and signed by him and it as the oriniponal
label stating official signed copy ; its called brum and the brumies ; well worth
collecting but i have to get off my comp; now as the old dutchess is shouting come and get your tea so after i will study the medal book closely and come back with more info ; tera for now ; Astonian;

I responded to the appeal in last week's Solihull Observer having done some research. They said the writer of the story would get back to me. Did not happen. Left my phone number on the policeman's answer phone. No reply.
I did the same via a couple of websites, Alan. No response from either. Makes you wonder why you bother.

My gt uncle Walter sanders was killed 1816 I wonder who has HIs medals, he wasn,t married. He was in the warwickshires
valerieexbrummie

Hi I can't help with locating his medals, but I found this on Ancestry, which you may already have.

Name:
Walter Rupert Sanders
Birth Place:
Aston, Birmingham
Residence:
Handsworth, Staffs
Death Date:
31 Jul 1916
Death Location:
France & Flanders
Enlistment Location:
Birmingham
Private
Regiment:
Royal Warwickshire Regiment
Battalion:
16th Battalion
Number:
Type of Casualty:
Died of wounds
Theatre of War:
Western European Theatre
bewdley

Hi Thank you very much for sending the info on Walter Sanders. I also have some info on the day he died. and have a photo of the cemetery he is in. I think his medal probabbly went to his sister and they have been passed down their line,

from valerieexbrummie

nks for the Info,

It is sad when people have medals stolen or they are split up, often for scrap silver value. We collect medals and have done for years, trying to reunite split up pairs and research there history, many are local and we are always looking out for people who may want them back in a family. Often medals get given to differnet children as an inheritance rather than staying together as a group which can be a shame. We are constantly searching for our own family medals.

We have recently set up a twitter and blog page which shows our medals and the stories behind them, we are always happy to request medal searches if you have any you are looking for.

This week we are focusing on the Royal Warwickshire Regiment so happy to share any requests, stories etc

www.lornamattweston.blogspot.co.uk
twitter - @thewestonfront

We managed to get my husbands grandfathers medals by having a tree on Ancestry. A collector contacted us and we bought them along with a lot of research he had done.

Back