• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Military hospitals in Birmingham WW1

Mazbeth it was built as a Fever Hospital in 1874 and later became All Saints and was not used as a war hospital as far as I know

Yes Postie, I have allready put a few pics up but am allways glad of more as my Brother daughter was married their two years ago and the reception was held there So I went all over it with a fine tooth comb
( Did you know this, that it is one of the places you can now get married at ?) Wonderful place with all the old oil paintings all over the place, and the grounds are still superb

Graham,I've just received these pictures following a request for information on Highbury Hall from a contact now living in Wales.

Colin

Colin, How great are those photo's...........this is what its all about ......starting something and going somewhere you never expected. I can say now at this point in time this thread has more info than any other posts on the World Wide Web.......Well done to all who have posted ....... I am not one to say thanks for every post..... but my Great War thread means a lot to me ......So thanks to all who have participated

Note the small ad. at the top appealing for money for the war hospitals

Thanks for the information about All Saints Cromwell.

I guess one connection with it might be that some, who later had nervous breakdowns, because of shell-shock, like my granddad, would have been admitted to it :( as with Highcroft to the north of the city.

Allwin made all kinds of equipment for the disabled soldiers while a lot of ads started to appear with little notices on the bottom such as this one (bottom pic)

The French Red Cross was completely and utterly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of casualties they were receiving and the system began to break down, so an appeal was sent out to this country to help in anyway they could which resulted in fundraising events and VAD nurses sent to France. (Bottom Poster)
First Pic shows a drawing done by Mr William Hatherhill for George Robeys Concert in Aid of The French Red Cross, the picture was auctioned off and raised £180

I wonder how many of these so called "Shields from Death" were sold to the troops in France and England? The makers were on to a good thing because if you got killed you could not complain if you were wounded they could say it stopped you from getting killed, but this is the first time I have come across a bullet proof tunic.
The Bottom Pic is in French and shows an advert for a vest of chain mail that will stop a bullet, I wonder why no one has heard of them? ........Strange

In the Great War you had the Nurse, the Red Cross Nurse, the V.A.D. the Auxiliary Nurse
A typical British Nurse never had any red cross on her uniform unlike the Red Cross nurse.
VAD's (Voluntary Aid Detachment ) and "Fannies" F.A.N.Y (First Aid Nursing Yeomanry)  usually did two years training and then went overseas and often worked in the Field Dressing stations behind the lines never on the battlefield .....but they were often bombed
Middle pic shows a typical English nurse of the period
Bottom Pic shows a VAD with two white chevrons on her arm denoting she had been to Salonika after 2 years on the Western Front
Bottom Pic shows a rare FANY collar badge that was worn each side of the collar

Great Photo of the Nurse's all giving a hand to make a Christmas Pudding for the patients in their care in one of the War Hospitals 1915 while a Red Cross nurse was helping a wounded captain on the Western Front

All the Red Cross Nurses in the war hospitals were paid out of funds given to the charity
A fund of a Penny a week was set up to pay for the growing number of nurses that were needed as the Red Cross was fast running out of money, it was also used to fund St Johns Ambulance Brigade
pic shows one of the badges

The nurses were targeted in the advertisments of the time which made all kinds of wild claims

Wounded soldiers found time hanging dreadfully heavy on their hands and all manner of things were done to give them something to occupy their time, which was also therapeutic if they had hand or arm wounds. Knitting, needleworks, basketry, painting, pottery were just a few of the things tried out in the Convalecent homes manned by the Red Cross to help the men
First pic shows the men painting pottery
second pic shows what a lot of factories started to do if the had a Christmas party, each worker was allowed to bring one wounded soldier with them and as the majority of the munition workers were women I reckon the idea was well received

When It became apparent that the established Military hospitals could not cope with the huge number of casualties,women volunteered in their thousands for medical work the first photo shows making bandages for the St.Johns Ambulance Brigade.
Second photo Making all kinds of padding,and bandages and padding for crutches
Third and Forth  Photo is quite intresting as it shows American Women who volunteered for hospital work long before the U.S.A. entered the war (and whilst saying this quite a lot of U.S. men joined French and British units) The American women's club were turned into workrooms and they set up war workrooms in their own homes

Yet another aspect of the hard work and effort that went into caring for injured soldiers
from WW1. Great photos again Cromwell. Thanks for posting them. Re: the ads.
I noted the copy for the Vinolia hand cream ad. Nurses had to do everything in their jobs in those days it seems.

One of the first casualties of the war, wounded at the Battle of Mons in 1914 being put into an ambulance outside Moor Street Station

This is a cracking photo of the Birmingham war wounded being entertained by the children of Yardley Road School who are doing a play "The Pied Piper" for the men

An egg was a luxury for some who did not keep chickens, even in WW2 eggs were scarce but a lot of folk got to love the alternative Powdered Eggs and you could still get it from anywere right up to the 50's and even today it is still available

Nice postcard of Dudley Road Military Hospital (City Hospital) originally it was a smallpox hospital

A hospital that was close to my heart is the Sorrento Moseley were my son was born in 1965.
It was built by William Adams in 1911 as an institution for the poor and needy
It was put up for sale during the Great War and Neville Chamberlain bought it in 1916 as a home for disabled soldiers mainly paraplegics.
It was taken over by Birmingham in 1929 as a maternity home for women on low income, it closed in 1993

Graham,I'm beginning to think you have a list of hospitals I've worked at, I worked at Sorrento during the 80's.didn't know this was used as a war hospital.
I was also born there in July 1948, I was one of the early NHS babies.

Colin

Colin I do also know that a Womens Hospital was also used as a War Hospital but thats were it all starts to get confusing as I have six listed but all in different locations so its just sorting them out (info out of the Brum Mail ) Moseley Hall is also one I am checking out as it says there were two in Moseley but gotta find proof

Graham I found some info on Moseley Hall, which states that it became a childrens convalescent home and sanitorium in about 1905.
It also states that Springhill College was a training centre and rehabilitation centre for the 3rd Birmingham Battalion during the great war.
Hope this is some use to you.

cromwell said:
A hospital that was close to my heart is the Sorrento Moseley were my son was born in 1965.
my son was born there in January 1990.
Thanks for the picture of it! :)

Graham I was based at Moseley Hall hospital for over 26 years,see my posting #20 Birmingham Riots.
I know Highbury Hall and Uffculme Clinics were used as military hospitals (see earlier posts this subject,#30 &# 96),these would be in Moseley ,but I don't think Moseley Hall and Sorrento were used as such .
The nearest Womens Hospital to Moseley was the Womens Hospital in Showell Green Lane.

Colin

Colin, Fact Chamberlain bought Sorrento in 1918 to be used by the disabled soldiers (check his history out)
I need to know Womens Hospital in 1916 -18 was it in Sparkhill ?

Hi Graham,checking National Archives Hospital Register (never found this list before) it shows both Moseley Hall Hospital and Sorrento were used as disabled ex-service men hospitals during the years 1915-1930,something I had never heard of during my time at both hospitals,so you can add them both to your list.
On the same archives list there is reference to a Northfield Military Psychiatric Hospital at Northfield Birmingham used 1917-1919,no further details,so another one to look for.
The Womens Hospital in Showell Green Lane was in Sparkhill,it opened in 1904 and closed in the early 90's.

Colin

Back