• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Military hospitals in Birmingham WW1

Here They Are
First one looks like nearly the same position as Posties

You will see that the conservatory has been replaced with a modern one .Your picture Postie is as I remembered it, and it leaked like a sieve,in the latter years.The building has been extensively refurbished,but as these picture shows it has still retained a lot of the old features,and is now a conference and training centre,with psychotherapy consulting services.
This building is now effectively closed to the general public,so I was lucky to still be able to access,(not what you know ,but who you know)

Colin

Great, Perhaps now I can identify a few photos of soldiers I have got in unidentified hospitals

Graham I have a few more photos ,but it was starting to get busy,and one of the conditions to taking the pictures was that there were no clients in them ,so I stopped.
The two buildings of Uffculme and Highbury Hall are very similar,I understand that Cadbury did not get on with Chamberlain,and the two building which are adjacent to each other,became a competition trying to outdo one other.
In my time I worked at or visited a large number of the hospitals in Birmingham,some of them gone forever now,so I may be able to help identify some of the pictures

Colin

Group photo of nurses outside The Hermitage Solihull
The Lady in the centre is the Commandant who ran the hospital

Colin if you know where the Birmingham Infirmary was I could put two photo's on of the operating room and verandah entrance 
I also have pics of the following Hospitals which I need to know if I am to post them were War Hospitals
Eastcote Grange
Middlefield Hall
Moseley Hall
Romsley Hill

Photo that I have never seen before of a Red Cross Flag outside a Military Hospital

Cromwell,I had to look a couple up
The Birmingham Infirmary is now the City Hospital or Dudley Road as was,see article by Peter Walker on the History Webring site.
Eastcote is at Hampton in Arden
Middlefield was in Knowle it was closed in 1992 and demolished,I went there a number of times.
Moseley Hall was were I was based for over 26 years,see my posting in Conflicts prior to WW1 -Birmingham Riots.
Romsley was over Clent way

Colin

Thanks Colin B now I can sort them out, I will post the two of the operating room when I have a chance

Thanks Brummie Nick, I came across Hewell Grange as well (Looks like Aston Hall)which was a borstal in the 50's -60' and remember when I lived in Kings Norton having a drink in the Longbow a fisherman chap came in with a load of Ammo he dragged out of the lake that was there,he told me after the war all kinds of things were dumped in the lake. I wonder if anyone knows if Hewell Grange was a war hospital

The Chap with the Extra large Bandage on his arm is 7870 Private F Edwards RWF who's arm was shattered by German Machine gun bullets the chap sitting on the floor is his brother.
Both came from Birmingham
Photo taken in a Birmingham War Hospital

Graham, I thought this may be of interest to you.
Lightswood Park is opposite the Kings Head on the Hagley Rd at Bearwood  O0

Great. Postie thats really intresting as I have not got that on my list........ Thank You

Most of the War wounded were bought into Birmingham by train either at New Street, Curzon St or Snow Hill Station, here is a neat photo of New Street Station taken in 1918
Last three photo's speak for themselves, inside the trains that bought the wounded home wounded,
Stretcher bearers with new clean stretchers for them to be transfered on to
And laid out on the platform waiting for the transport to take them to the various War Hospitals

Postcard of the great hall of the Birmingham University 1st Southern Hospital
The second one is a photo

Graham, I found another couple of War Hospitals which may be of interest to you.

Now that Selly Park School one is a gem Postie Thanks a lot I did not have that one on my data base
I had the second one in reply 8
I will soon have the lot the way we are going

Intresting photo taken in Birmingham 1916 showing badly disabled sailors from the battle of Jutland from Admiral Beatty's Hospital (which I have not got a clue where it is )

Cromwell
""David Beatty spent much of his life (when not at sea) in Leicestershire, and lived at Brooksby Hall (now an agricultural college). During the war, he and his wife performed many services for the public of Leicestershire, including opening up their home first as a VAD Hospital under the 5th Northern General Hospital, and later as a hospital for Naval Personnel."
Colin

Thanks for that Colin, was Bournbrook the university hospital ?

not sure Graham,found this reference though

August 5th 1914
The Territorials are all mobilising. Many of them, including Wilfred, are in camp now for their annual training. The Birmingham medicos are completing a general hospital at Bournebrook, for which some of the sisters here are under orders to staff.

sorry but I seem to be unable to post links,you'll find the quote in A medical Officers diary and narrative of the First World War by Travis Hampson MC

Colin

Colin B thanks for that bit of info but I am still puzzled by Bournbrook hospital as Bournbrook is an area and they have two hospitals where the wounded were treated on their doorstep Selly Oak infirmery and the Uni.Hospital

Today I had someone over who's relative was dying and came over with a few photo's of what she had kept over the years, a lot of the photo's were taken the studio of Frank Ellis Bloomsbury Street
This photo was taken on Christmas Day at Rubery Military Hospital 1918
Bottom Photo shows recovered soldier's before their release back to the Front (I have names but will post later)

Back