• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Workers playtime

J

Jerry

I started work in 1961 at BSA Armoury Road
I can remember the "Workers Playtime" show being staged in the staff "restaurant" ( the workers ate in a canteen)
I remember the shop floor workers were allowed to come into the staff area to watch the show but I have no memories at all of who actually took part in the show
Did anybody else see the show at the BSA or maybe somewhere else in Brum?

Derek Roy, Frankie Howard ,Charlie Chester,Tony Hancock,Anne Sheriden,Betty Driver,Eve Boswell,Dorothy Suires,Julie Andrews,Morecom be & Wise,Peter Cavanagh, Janet Brown, Bob Monkhouse,Peter Goodwright, Percy Edwards, Ken Dodd, Ken Platt Elsie & Doris Waters and many many more.
Producer was for a time Philip Garston Jones who played Jack Woolie in the Archers for many many years & was a friend of mine.

Hows that for starters Jerry but not at the BSA but 4 of my relations worked there then O0

Thanks for the memories Alf
Great entertainers all of them but they didn't all appear on that particular show and that's what I'm trying to pin down
I imagine they were a touring group so the same acts probably appeared in several Midland factories. :)

Tony Hancock was appering on the show in 1961 but the date no :)

I remember as a little girl seeing a Workers Playtime at Hercules in Rocky Lane, my mother worked there during the war so must have been around that time, don't know how she got me in, but I enjoyed it, the only thing I can remember is a lady in a long blue dress singing "Alice Blue Gown".

Back