• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Woolworths Memories

Can anyone remember when you went into Woolies to buy a record , you had two choices you could buy the original at a dearer price,or buy the same thing but by a different singer on Woolies own label Embassy and it was cheaper I'm reliably informed by a friend of mine .
I asked Julie about this, but she doesn't remember it happening in the branch she worked at. However, there was a record shop next door, so maybe a gentlemans agreement or something.

This link may help though.

Andrew.

The Woollies I remember most is the one in the Bull Ring as it was part of a most iconic scene.
Of course,the Bull Ring is a whole epic in itself.I have several large prints from paintings by a
Bham artist of various parts of Brum and attach one of yhe old Bull Ring.
Tojo.

Attachments

• 20230219_174501.jpg
    20230219_174501.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
Lived in Kidderminster for 10 years.Their Woollies had a wooden floor.Good old days.
Tojo.
Julie lived for a while where Kidderminster was the main town. She remembers the wooden floor there, also pretty sure Ludlow was as well.
What I remember about the Woolies that she worked in is the very heavy doors. Quite hard work to get in and out.

Andrew.

I remember the wooden floor at the Alum Rock store, at 'the top of the Rock' just past the junction of Alum Rock Road with Highfield Road and Bowyer Road. As mentioned earlier, the floor there did creak, and the counters were as mentioned in posts 77 and 79, oblong ovals with glass and chrome edging, with the assistants in the middle to serve you. My memory is of a place always crowded, of getting lost in there and finally yelling enough for mom to find me (and tell me off). My main memory is of seeing lots of toy soldiers and, in those days, cowboys and Red Indians, made from metal (lead no doubt) - these were too expensive so I only remember ever having two; the reason for the tale however is to record the change from the lead figures to then 'new' plastic soldiers, made somewhere a million miles away called Hong Kong, which were much much cheaper. I still have three of them now. How times change!
In later years, even when with kids of my own we went on holiday, the first place in town we would go for a mooch around was the local Woolies - as everyone else says, sadly missed, there is nowhere like a Woolies.

i used to buy the plastic figures from woolis dad was a metal caster so he copied all in aluminium and hand paint them i had hundred of solders fighting cowboys fighting roundheads.. roman solders had air gun darts in there hats to look the part .wish i still had them now they be worth a few bob:rolleyes:

Can anyone remember when you went into Woolies to buy a record , you had two choices you could buy the original at a dearer price,or buy the same thing but by a different singer on Woolies own label Embassy and it was cheaper I'm reliably informed by a friend of mine .
Remember seeing the pop albums in the 70s with all the latest hits not sung by the original artists.

Julie lived for a while where Kidderminster was the main town. She remembers the wooden floor there, also pretty sure Ludlow was as well.
What I remember about the Woolies that she worked in is the very heavy doors. Quite hard work to get in and out.

Andrew.
The wooden floors were to help keep shoppers in the store. The floor is very easy on the fee, particularly the older ones (with money) for the children. The floors are also very durable and it was a great differentiator as we are remembering from this thread! Just a little trivia.

The wooden floors were to help keep shoppers in the store. The floor is very easy on the fee, particularly the older ones (with money) for the children. The floors are also very durable and it was a great differentiator as we are remembering from this thread! Just a little trivia.
I do recall reading that Woolworths kept a very standard design to their stores.

Remember seeing the pop albums in the 70s with all the latest hits not sung by the original artists.
The link below will take you to Woolworths history and the embassy record label
Source https://www.woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/1950s-embassyrecords.htm, accessed Sunday 26/2/2023 @ 08.37 am
Hopefully my citation is accurate enough for all members !!

Some pictures of Woolworth’s in the Bull Ring, 1 view from outside showing the frontage and steps / ramp to the upper level of the shop area and Matador pub, the others show the cafeteria There is an Avery 1d scales in the corner on the last picture
Source historicengland.org.uk
Thank you for sharing these photo's Covroad. They take me back to when I worked in the kitchen in the cafeteria. Started as a pan washer & ended up cooking some of the food. How I miss those days & woolies in the bullring.

Hi
I am a new member living down in here in Somerset. I am writing a book on Woolworth stores nationwide based on recollections from former members of staff and shoppers. I have had many recollections sent to me from all over the UK and would like more from the Midlands area. Also photographs of Woolworth stores in the Birmingham area or staff photos would be more than welcome.
Thank you for reading this message.

Derek:)
I was a Saturday girl at Woolworths in Acocks Green Birmingham from 1977-1979.

I wonder if Woollies in the Bull Ring is not THE iconic memory of the past.It was part of so many other wonderful,but hopefully,not forgotten memories around it.The Midland Red and Corporation buses dropping off and picking up around St.Martin's,the barrow boys,the bloke in chains,Ernie McCulloch holding forth speaking up for the many underpriviledged,many of whom were there to see and support him.And if you're old enough,you MUST remember the little old blind lady selling the brown paper carrier bags.She had it timed to perfection,as you walked past her she loudly screamed in your ear "ANDICARRIAH " I'm laughing as I recall those occasions; do you remember tnem too?
Tojo.

I wonder if Woollies in the Bull Ring is not THE iconic memory of the past.It was part of so many other wonderful,but hopefully,not forgotten memories around it.The Midland Red and Corporation buses dropping off and picking up around St.Martin's,the barrow boys,the bloke in chains,Ernie McCulloch holding forth speaking up for the many underpriviledged,many of whom were there to see and support him.And if you're old enough,you MUST remember the little old blind lady selling the brown paper carrier bags.She had it timed to perfection,as you walked past her she loudly screamed in your ear "ANDICARRIAH " I'm laughing as I recall those occasions; do you remember tnem too?
Tojo.
Oh, my goodness Tojo, I so remember so many of them! Particularly ANDICARRIAH, sometimes I never saw her but heard those words......

I do recall reading that Woolworths kept a very standard design to their stores.
I worked for a company that supplied a contractor , who did work for Sainsbury's the contractor had no problem fitting out a new store , because as you say certain companies require the same layout for all their stores .

Back