• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • On Sunday I will be upgrading the software to the latest version this will mean downtime of approx half a day. (assuming all goes well) This has to be done as we are out of mainstream support now.

Woolworths Memories

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the Hawthorn Road, Kingstanding branch they had poles above the counters (was this the pneumatic payment system ?). The only reason I remember this is because the monkey they sold would be hung from this. I so wanted one but never got one. Viv.

Radiorails

master brummie
Most Woolworth stores looked similar - only the size differed. That was one of their hallmarks. Another was what ever was the fashion or needs of the time e.g. Christmas, Spring Cleaning, Easter. summer holidays etc. items that you might want to but were always prominent as you entered the store.
Woolworth should not have failed, it is greatly missed by an awful lot of people.

mw0njm.

brummie dude
Most Woolworth stores looked similar - only the size differed. That was one of their hallmarks. Another was what ever was the fashion or needs of the time e.g. Christmas, Spring Cleaning, Easter. summer holidays etc. items that you might want to but were always prominent as you entered the store.
Woolworth should not have failed, it is greatly missed by an awful lot of people.
no neither do I Allan, it was always full of customers. perhaps they "were too cheap"

michaelwicks54

Aston bred & proud.
i was fasinated by the electrical section,all the bulb holders on a board on the wall, the assistent always tested a bulb,before you took it.away.... h&s would have a fit now,all them live sockets.
I do remember lots of shops around at the time having the same facility. You are correct, H & S would not allow that today, even though it was just a simple case of common sense in those days. Says a lot about how times have changed

jmadone

master brummie
Recorded in my diary for 8th February 1958 that I went to a self-service Woolworths in Yardley and later that day went to Woolworths in Acocks Green. Perhaps the self-service stores were just being introduced and still quite a novelty. Mention has been made on this thread that you could walk round an island with various items for sale and then presumably ask an assistant in the centre of the island that you were interested in buying a particular item. Can anyone confirm that this was the system before self-service? Thanks. Dave.
Dave, I remember a Woolworths at Acocks Green and at Sheldon (Wheatsheaf) but can't recall one at Yardley. Do you mean the one at the Yew Tree? That of course was Yardley but to me as an 8 yr old in 1958 I associated Yardley with the Swan and Colliers Corner.

farmerdave

master brummie
Dave, I remember a Woolworths at Acocks Green and at Sheldon (Wheatsheaf) but can't recall one at Yardley. Do you mean the one at the Yew Tree? That of course was Yardley but to me as an 8 yr old in 1958 I associated Yardley with the Swan and Colliers Corner.
Unfortunately my diary just says "Yardley" and being 62 years ago I cannot remember exactly where it was. Agree that I always associate the Swan with Yardley. Previously on that day I had been to Blakesley Hall, which I think is also in Yardley.