• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

woolworths gone into administration

When there was a C&A in Brum it was one of my favourite shops especially the clock i think it was in the basement by the cafe.

At 4.45pm this afternoon I popped into Woolworths in Erdington on my way to the kids swimming lesson.
Now at that time of day it's not usually very busy but today it was VERY busy!

Do you think everyone needed a fix before it went out of their lives.......

Last edited:
The fiddle M&S in Brussels had worked accross them was visitors buying goods in England, going on holiday in Belgium and taking the goods in to M&S for a refund. The much higher rate of VAT in Belgium gave you a nice profit on the refund

I dareesay this will be one of many unfortunately. The news here in Wales is very bad. They say that it is not as bad as the 70/80's but I can never remember a time like this unless I am going senile.
Anyway I thought I would upload a song to cheer us all up(now i've been shown how) Hope it doesn't offend as it isn't meant to.
Lynda
[ame="https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=u2UP86bciVA"]YouTube - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life (from Monty Python)[/ame]

Hi

Most of these strores lost their actual value years ago.
Most of huge groups whi intially bought them re-sold them
on a lease hold basis. All Woolworth's stores in effect as a
Value are literally worthless. Their only value is the trading
account. From what I understand Woolworth's were tippes into
admistration by Barclay's bank who refused to bail them out
and the Suppiliers to Woolworth's were demanding cash for their
goods. A real credit crunch. ouch ouch ouch.
got back into Phlysis Nicklens pictures of Brum.
A truly remarkable picture of happiers day's of the Smallbrook ringway in 1966
with those Xmas lights. The world cup and all that.
Happy day's

Mike Jenks

Hello Everybody
So sorry to hear the news about Woolies
Worked at the one on Hawthorn Road for a few years lot of happy memories
Thanks for the memoreis
Pam

Yes Folks it,s very sad to Hear About Woolworths Going Bust Considering There History
To Our City , But They Started With Sixpences , And Then Thirty Years Ago They Started To Get Balistic With There Prices Sky High I Cannot Say Woolies Was One Of My Favorite Store Thou ,Also MFI, But The Sadest One For Me Is FirkinsThe Cake Makers
I Feel Sorry For The Ladies And Therte Entire Staff Whom Are Not Going To Get Any Pay This Month Especialt This Time Of Year With Christmas Upon Us
And I Am Sad Because I Will Miss There Lovely Cream Cakes My Favorites ,

Best Wishes Every body Astonian ,;

Hi

Another photo from the Phyliss Nicklen collection.
It was one I did for the Bull Ring but shows the
Famous Woolies in the Bull ring pre 1960.
Listenining to the Finance boy's it appears
its likely that a buyer could take on the exiting stores
but greatley reduce their size keeping the frontage but
cutting down on the length of store.
This would mean less products concentrating on their more
profitable ranges ie CD's DVD's sweets kids clothing etc.
There may be hope yet.

Mike Jenks

Just as I remember it. The photo was taken in the grounds of St Martins Church if my memorie is correct.

I have fond memories of woolworths.
When Sindy and Tressie dolls were all the rage woolworths had there own brand of doll. Tammy, Pepper and Betsy think they even did brother and parents. Also remember my first pair of black ribbed tights (yuk) but when I was a youngster how fantastic I thought they were.. Another memory is of course all the toys and for some reason all the large boxes of biscuits which they sold loose (think they sold them by weight). Wooden floors, bells ringing and lovely books.

HI Im live incyprus and woolies left here 3 years ago but we still have debenhams , and marks and spencers
colin

When I was in New York last year, I went into Macys (the biggest department store in the world) so they say, I couldn't believe it, like stepping back into the 1930's.
Wooden floors, and wooden moving stairs, -but 2007
prices(£120 for a pair of ladies jeans).
All the counter fronts were the old dark wood panelling
with little glass panels around the edge just like the old woolies.

hi

Latest today 817 shops to go with 137,000 jobs
by the 5th January.
Just back fro Scotland brrrrrrrrr a little warmer here.
Tim took a picture of Woolworths at St Andrews.
I wonndered what would be there next year.
I wonder if any one can beat that one. Aberdeen
perhaps.

Mike Jenks

Sad to see the demise of Woolies. Do you know when I think it began? A long time ago really: When they ripped out the wooden floorboards.

When my mother got married in the 1930's, she went to Woolworth on the Coventry Road in Small heath and bought a small saucepan for 6d. We've still got it!

I received a Woolies Christmas card today from a relative and I don't know if I should be insulted, thinking they got it very cheap at a closing down sale, or be honoured to receive a piece of future history? Help me.

Graham.

Last edited:
Graham knowing its Woolies stuff it may be worth thruppence in a few years
icon10.gif

My wife and I where in a woolies store 10 miles up the road from us in a town called Irvine the other day. What a depressing site. As soon as a fare amount of stock is sold, they move the partitions forward from the back, so the floor space gets smaller. Its a great shame that it has come to this, and especially at this time of year for all the staff. I cant help but wonder what sort of Christmas these poor folk are going to have. Barry.

Back