• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Woodman Public House Easy Row

S

Seabird

First of all - I'm new here, so hello everyone, this looks a really interesting forum.
Does anyone remember 'The Woodman' which, I think, was in Easy Row, (or would that be Suffolk St?) near to the old Matthew Boulton college.
It was very much a 'student pub' in the 60s and there was always a real buzz about the place (you always got to hear where all the parties were going to be!)
It was demolished in about '65 - I was there on the last night, a very sad affair.
There was a carving of a woodman in the bar, which, I think, went to 'The Woodman' in Clent, but, unfortunately it was put in the garden and rotted away.

Hello seabird and welcome.
Couple pics for you:)

Attachments

• City Easy Row The-Woodman.jpg
    City Easy Row The-Woodman.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 64
  • The Woodman Easy Row .jpg
    The Woodman Easy Row .jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for those pictures - I'd forgotten what a lovely ornate building it was, although I do remember the stained glass windows and the wonderful wood panelling in the bar. I dare say it would have a preservation order on it nowadays. I think it made way for Paradise Circus.

I remember The Woodman very well - lovely atmospheric place. They had the occasional jazz band there. Surprised that it was demolished as early as 1965, though.

Big Gee

Hello Seabird,
I also went in there on the last day.They used to do a variety of baked potatoes.You have solved something for me, I always wondered what happened to the wooden carving,( I did ask on the forum once ).You would think some enterprising lad would have kept it...the demolition men couldn't have been very good at their job.:rolleyes:.

Oh,welcome to the forum,you have already given input,with your info. about the carving,well done.:).

I've always wondered what happened to some of those beautiful carvings. Do you know what happened to the painted tiled scenes of Birmingham. Were they able to save them.

I have most of the pub on photo, it was a wonderful place and should have been dismantled properly and all the interior saved and reused elsewhere.

This is the Private Bar & The Smoke Room Grand Side Fireplace.

Phil

Woodman The Private Bar.jpg Woodman The End Fireplace Smoke Room .jpg

Last edited:
What a lovely pub as some one said a lot of students used it me and my mate Johnny use to go in there...under age of course,we also use to go in the old Cabin does any one remamber the spanish room upstairs,and the cheese and onion cobs

Mau-recce:D:D

The entrance panels each side of the doorway. Works of art that were probably destroyed so some one could put up a block of concrete.

Phil

Woodman Left of the Entrance .jpg Woodman Right of the Entrance .jpg

Last edited:
Great photos Phil,sad that such a lovely building was destroyed....wonder what came in its place.

Oooooh thanks so much for those interior pictures pmc1947. Just as I remember it. On the last night, as 'time' was called, everyone threw their glasses into that old fireplace. I've been doing a bit of googling, and traced one of the tiled pictures to Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. Shame they couldn't have saved more.

https://www.bmagic.org.uk/browse/associated/2/Woodman+Public+House

This photo was posted to another forum that I use. I'm sure "Ken" the original poster won't mind me posting it here. I have one of the same but it is in black and white and it needs to be seen in colour to appreciate it. I would love to know what happened to them all.

Wessex

I fear that you will find that the site of the Woodman is now under the Queensway or even the Central Library.

Phil

birmingham market.JPG

Last edited:
The Woodman on Easy Row was demolished in 1964. The interior had many interesting features including a series of tiled pictures. It is uncertain as to what happened to the interior fittings, so this thread aims to record any information about the fittings and to find out which items might have been saved.

One tiled picture was bought by Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery in 1986. It is a picture of St. Martin's Church & Old Market Place and is based on an engraving by W. Radclyffe (itself based on a David Cox drawing). This is the BMAG link.

https://www.bmagic.org.uk/objects/1988F1542

This photo posted by Astoness shows the St. Martin's tiled picture in situ before the pub was demolished. It also shows several other tiled pictures of interest. (Removed this link as it no longer works. 21/2/12)

Viv.

Viv

Here are the painted tiles from the bar of the Woodman, I think these are all of them.

Phil

City Woodman Easy Row Aston Hall.jpg Woodman Aston Hall Siege .jpg Woodman Hill St .jpg Woodman Prince Ruperts HQ The Ship Camp Hill .jpg Woodman St Martins Lane .jpg

Last edited:
Here are two links to photos of the exterior of the Woodman courtesy of Phil. The first shows the carving of a woodman which was on the front of the pub. The second shows the ground floor exterior view of the pub. (Links removed as no longer working 21/2/12)

Wow such fantastic pictures thanks Viv for the new thread which the Woodman deserves such a terrible loss!! Thanks for sharing the amazing photo's Phil....Wendy x

Here are another couple of pictures of the tiles in the entrance to The Woodman.

Replacement images below, may vary from originals.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Moss. It hadn't occurred to me that these two pictures depict a much younger woodman than the carving of the older woodman and dog on the front of the building. I've read somewhere (only I can't remember where now) that the carved sculpture of the woodman and dog went to America. Viv.

Hi BordesleyExile. Do you mean it would be helpful to provide any links to other threads about the Woodman or actually merge them as one thread? I was hesitant at first to start this new thread as I know there are references elsewhere, but thought it would be helpful to have this specific thread as we are seeking information to find out which fittings have survived and their whereabouts. If people want to merge threads afraid I shall have to ask for help as I don't know how to do that. If you'd like me to post the links to specific references, I'm more than happy to do that. Regards Viv.

I remember the woodman and I remember that the locals always looked old!, even then I thought the interior was fantastic.
paul

I went in there the day it closed,had a baked potato and a pint for lunch.
The outside carving apparently went to a pub in Barnt Green called "The Woodman",perhaps it's still there rotting in the garden.:(

I went in there the day it closed,had a baked potato and a pint for lunch.
The outside carving apparently went to a pub in Barnt Green called "The Woodman",perhaps it's still there rotting in the garden.:(

mores to the point ray is the barnt green still there..i dont know that neck o the woods..maybe someone can advise us..

I dunno bab,the last time I was around there was when I went camping on clent hills 60 years ago....it may have changed a bit.:).

Ah, The Woodman! I had quite a few under-age pints in there! Without a doubt just about the most ornate and atmospheric pub in Brum, and I should love to meet the person who decided it had to be demolished....

Big Gee

A bit of tidying up ...... this links to earlier discussions in 2010 on the forum about the Woodman. The thread's named Easy Row, so won't necessarily be found via a search for the 'Woodman'.
Viv.

The Woodman was definitely part of 'the scene' in the early 60s. I spent a lot of my youth in there!
The wooden carving of the woodman in the bar went to the Woodman in Clent and the silly beggars put it in the garden where it rotted away.

Back