• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wooden kitchen countertops

AMW

master brummie
Hi
I wonder if I could pick your brains please. My in-laws have died and I need to clean their wooden kitchen counters. I have never cleaned wooden kitchen surfaces before and therefore don't have any idea how to clean and oil them. They have sticky surfaces and have water stains in places and I haven’t a clue what to do. Any information very gratefully received please.

Best wishes
Alison

Assuming you mean solid wood tops? If it were me, I would start of by cleaning with a good detergent, hot water and an abrasive pad or wire wool to remove the grease and grime. I would then follow this up with a wipe over with white spirit to remove any residual grease or oil and let it dry off over a day or so.

You can then see how bad any staining is. A rub over going along with the grain with 150 grit sandpaper should remove most of it, then finish with 220 grit.

Give it a couple of coats of a food safe mineral oil that can be applied with a clean lint free rag, like and old shirt. Most important when using oil, do not put the old oily rags in the bin. Pop then outside and hang over a wall to dry off. They can catch fire.

Here is a link to Food safe oil.

Mort
The link you gave seems to recommend chestnut oil. Assuming the name is an accurate description, this would seem to be a veg oil, not a mineral oil.

Thank you, thank you, thank you I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond. Thanks to each of you and a special thanks to you Mort for such a clear comprehensive plan of action.

Best wishes Alison

I would recommend cleaning and sanding as per Morturn's advice but finish with Danish Oil which is much better suited for purpose as it is both water resistant and food safe. It is used to polish up pub bar counters as well. It is widely available, try Screwfix.

Assuming you mean solid wood tops? If it were me, I would start of by cleaning with a good detergent, hot water and an abrasive pad or wire wool to remove the grease and grime. I would then follow this up with a wipe over with white spirit to remove any residual grease or oil and let it dry off over a day or so.

You can then see how bad any staining is. A rub over going along with the grain with 150 grit sandpaper should remove most of it, then finish with 220 grit.

Give it a couple of coats of a food safe mineral oil that can be applied with a clean lint free rag, like and old shirt. Most important when using oil, do not put the old oily rags in the bin. Pop then outside and hang over a wall to dry off. They can catch fire.

Here is a link to Food safe oil.
Excellent advice Mort!

I would recommend cleaning and sanding as per Morturn's advice but finish with Danish Oil which is much better suited for purpose as it is both water resistant and food safe. It is used to polish up pub bar counters as well. It is widely available, try Screwfix.
Thumbs up for Danish Oil. We have used it here and it does an excellent job. It is a product rather than a brand name, so should be easily available. Screwfix works, as does Amazon.
Andrew.

Back