• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wood-Woolley Mystery

M

MissElaina

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me.

I've found ancestors of mine called wood-woolley.

The trouble is i can find them all on the 1901 cenus but not the 1891 cenus.

The information i have is Edith Ann(born 1873), Mary Ann(born1868) and John(born 1867). The marriage certificates of Edith and Mary show there father also John Woodwoolley as deceased when they married in 1894. It also shows them living at Copley Hill Erdington. Which is where their brother john is living in 1901 with his family.

If anyone can give me any tips as to why i can't find any woodwoolleys on the 1891 cenus i would appreciate it.

hello there,

i couldnt find them either on ancestry site but looked on findmypast and found this family.

james wood-woolley age 63 manager b. bilston staffs
annie " single age 22 b. aston
edith " " age18 "

elizabeth nield niece age 38 housekeeper

they are living at camden house, victoria road, yardley, acocks green

chris

HI yes they are my ancestors also.....John was my great great grandfather and he was married to ellen jones wood.........johns parents were john wood woolley born 1827 and mary ann donafin born1840's they had a 15 or so year age gap between them.......

mary ann and edith ann both married june 1894 in aston....if you need any info please get in touch maybe i can assist you as i have quite a bit of information..

Regards Amanda Wood-Woolley

Hi,

I had almost given up hope finding anything relating to the Wood-Woolleys! Edith was my Great Grandmother and I know her and her sister married on the same day. What do you know about her father John Wood-Woolley?

I don't know, but could they call themselves Woolley on the census . The reason I say this is because i looked in 1892 census and found entry below in Albert road , Harborne for a Wood-Wooley:
353 Woodwoolley Mrs. Millicent,
teacher of music
... here is Park rd

On looking at Albert Road in the 1891 census , no 353 gives:
George G.Moreton head
Millicent Moreton wife
Millicent W.Wooley daughter. Single 12
Henry Birch father
Frank Ayling lodger.

The age is a bit young at 13 for a teacher of music, but presumably she was a prodigy, or the age might be a mistake. The point is that on the census her name was given as Millicent W.Wooley
mike

Last edited:
Its all very complex......

Millicent( was married to thomas littleton wood-woolley(1852-march 1884) in aston they had a daughter millicent(sept 1878-march 1916) in wandsworth.....I have them living at St Thomas's cottage,Albert rd,Aston,Bham

Thomas littleton aka lyttleton was brother of John wood-woolley(1866-1930) wife ellen jones wood, also william(1870-wed mar 1895-died sept 1931) wife annie e harbourne, edith ann (1870-wed june1894-died 1944) husband fred knight,emma(1863 ish-sept1889-died june 1951) husband noah deeks........I also have lavinia baptised 12 may 1861,ellen baptised 18 oct 1857,caroline baptised 1855 all listed with parents named john wood-woolley born 1829 and mary ann danofin born 1829-sep 1886.....

I have records that need updating still a little tonight on ancestry then i will be able to send you an invitation to view it where you will find all details and records relating to them.....

Another Tread on this site is also looking for Info on the woolley Family & the connection with the sword making industry

I have just been informed a bawl forger was another name for those working in the metal industry who were able to put a stamp on their products so they were unable to be forged.......i also found out the woolleys were major investors in the engineering and steel industry owning a number of companies and been majority stake holder in various others......intersting track to follow up...

Back