• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WMPTE buses in Stourbridge and Dudley in 1980

horsencart

master brummie
I have now posted footage of the WMPTE in Stockport and Dudley in 1980 in the footage you will see Stourbridge Bus Garage (long gone ) and in Dudley Bus Station before the rebuild and in Dudley Bus Garage (agian long gone) and possibly the last Midland Red D7 bus to go through the gates

There are Fleetlines, Volvo Ailsa, Leyland Nasty, and the then Metrobus, all now long gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EfidLIdbLs

enjoy

Lad at work is part owner in a Volvo Ailsa, will forward link to him see if it his one.

I reckon that's preserved D7 4482 (XHA482), which passed to BaMMoT's Transport Museum (Wythall) in June 1979. The "D7" on the rear service number blinds is a clue. The were no D7s in service in 1980! ;)

Yes it is we took the bus on a tour of the Black Country one Sunday afternoon I have not included footage of the bus in Kidderminster and Bromsgrove and other places

I reckon that's preserved D7 4482 (XHA482), which passed to BaMMoT's Transport Museum (Wyhtall) in June 1979. The "D7" on the rear service number blinds is a clue. The were no D7s in service in 1980! ;)

John, that was not an easy question to answer! ;) There were 350 D7s in three batches: 1953-1954 (100), 1954-1955 (200) and 1957 (50). I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that the last D7 in service was one of the first batch:

4114 (THA114) new in January 1954 and allocated to Bromsgrove garage. Later allocations were: Stafford (December 1960), Shrewsbury (November 1967), Stourbridge (December 1971) and Dudley (November 1972). It was withdrawn from service in May 1973.

Remarkably 4114 is a survivor! It passed to John Tucker of Birmingham in August 1973 and is apparently still owned by him. In March this year it was reported to be parked under trees in a yard adjacent to the former Adlestrop station (on the A436 near Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire). I believe it is in need of some "tender loving care".

[The fleet history of the D7 can be found at the MidlandRed.net website.]

I do not know when the last D7 ran I do know when the last D9 ran it was in Leicester on the 31 Dec 1980 I know this because I was there filming the day on a bright but cold new years eve

Thanks for hat video BammoT, any idea when and where the last D7 ran in service?.

Thanks for your reply Thylacine, I have a soft spot for the D7 as I passed my PSV test on 4727, and as far as I know only one is in preservation, 4482 at Whythall transport museum, I guess 4114 is in quite a poor condition now if its been standing outside for over 30 years, seem to remember another two being seen at Universal studios in America some time ago also.

John, I'm quite fond of them too - I've never been lucky enough to drive one, but I certainly travelled on quite a few of them in my younger days. The "Hollywood" D7s are discussed on the Midland Red Early Days Thread from this post onwards.

I have never been a big fan of the D7, they rattled and with there constant mesh gear box tey always struck me as crude and old fahioned, although I will agree they had lightweight constrction and featured glass fibre in their construction. Does anyone else remember how those brakes used to "howl" as they slowed at bus stops? Mind you I would love a ride on one now.

Back