• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Cemetery

sheronb

master brummie
I have Irish and Italian ancesters,(Catholic) who lived in Ladywood and The Italian quarter, am i right in thinking buriels occurred at St Josephs?

Sheron with regard to Catholic burials, I haven't a clue personally but I'm sure if you telephone St Chad's they'll tell you there as they have all St Peter's records.

Chris

Thanks Harbourne, ive ordered the buriels for St Josephs from the LDS centre, only £2.70 if im wrong!! Im looking for abt 1893, when did Witton first come into being, do you know? The reason i ask this, is some of my Italians(babies) from 1903-14, were buried at Witton., and i thought they wouldnt be there!!

I wonder whether anyone can help with this one?
My great grandmother died in 1903. She was living in Whitehouse Street, Aston Manor at the time.
I would like to find her grave, and I only have recent maps of that part of Birmingham, so much has changed in that area, (Asto Expressway!). Can anyone suggest which would have been the 'local' burial ground? ???

Spooner this is always a difficult one. I would think it would be a cemetery as most Church graveyards were closed by 1903 because of overcrowding. I would suggest you start with Witton Cemetery. Then Warstone Lane Cemetery and lastly Key Hill Cemetery although Key Hill was mainly non conformist but there were a few C of E there. Good Luck.

Spooner Witton most likely, last time I phoned they were very helpful, don't know what they are like now but worth a try.:)

Most of my family are buried there and they came from Aston

Which Aston Burial Ground

Thank you for your help people.
I have e-mailed Witton for a start.
I also visited the MI website you suggested jennyann, it's a very good one, and I spent some time looking through it.

Spooner:)

Hello Chris and welcome. If your family were Cof E it would most likley be Witton Cemetery and it is very much still there.

Hi can anyone tell me where would people in sheep st birmingham be buried ,did bishop ryder have a cem ?I'm looking to find George Richard Francis grave and if there were anyother family members also buried with him I'm hoping he is buried some where that has an office so they could tell me if he is buried there as bishop ryder is no longer there how will I find out.:dft005:
George Richard Francis
Died 2 Q 1926 aged 64
6d 453

Liz this subject has been mentioned many times on the forum. It can be very difficult to find a grave as families could be buried anywhere. The date you give would be when most graveyards were closed to new burials these would only take place in a family plot which had been purchased before closure. The most likely cemetery would be Witton although as I said it could be anywhere. Witton do charge for a search but you can search the burial indexes at Central Library. When you find his burial you will then know if he is in a public or family grave. Sorry I could'nt help more.

Back