• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Cemetery grave query

jane k

master brummie
I have recently contacted Witton Cemetery for information about my Grandfather`s grave. They have given me the plot number - "Section 71; grave number 14412". They have also said "this is a private grave Grant No. 11061" Please can anyone tell me what the "Grant Number" is?

Many thanks Jane

The Grant Number is the number of The Grave Deeds. The Grave has been purchased privately and the Deeds are your proof - It will state how many people are allowed to be buried therein. The Cemetery has a Register of people buried (In sequential order of Burial), and also a Register of Grave Purchased (again in sequential order). Burials have to be entered in both, The second one marking off your burials, so they know when the grave is full and can no longer be used again.

it should also tell you who purchased the the grave...i have a copy from yardley cem relating to my rellies grave so it maybe worth asking witton if they still have the grave deeds on file

lyn

Thanks very much. The grave also contains his eldest daughter who died aged 2, which was 14 years before he was buried. They weren`t a wealthy family so I find it quite moving that they must have bought a grave large enough to hold the little girl and her father
Jane

Thanks so much. My mother is no longer alive but I do have a memory of her saying that she visited the grave many years ago and was distressed that it was overgrown and looking unloved. I do hope it is better now
Jane

Back