• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Witton and Aston Barbers Shop

kenwin

proper brummie kid
Appeal for previously posted but lost images. I am resubmitting an image of my dad's first shop in Aston - 1 Clarendon Street. Approximately early 1930s, I believe. His name was George Albert Winfield. He died 26 April 2011. He was married to Nancy Winfield (nee Cole). I am not sure where I posted the image on the site at the outset - but hope it ends up in the right place! Nancy and George had two boys - Kenneth (me) and Michael. Michael was killed in a road traffic accident along Walsall Road, Great Barr, Birmingham in 1955. He will always be remembered. I was with him when he was knocked off his bicycle by a bus. He died in the ambulance on the way to hospital.

Attachments

• SWScan00012George Winfield - first shop in Aston, Birmingham early 1930s.jpg
    SWScan00012George Winfield - first shop in Aston, Birmingham early 1930s.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 26
I lived at number 27 Clarendon Street and used that barbers shop often as a child, but it was run by Jack Terry who sadly died around 1966, a younger more up date hairdresser took over from him but I cannot recall his name...I expect my Grandad, Dad and Uncles hair was cut by your dad...Mrs Patterson also lived at number 1 Clarendon Street.

Appeal for previously posted but lost images. I am resubmitting an image of my dad's first shop in Aston - 1 Clarendon Street. Approximately early 1930s, I believe. His name was George Albert Winfield. He died 26 April 2011. He was married to Nancy Winfield (nee Cole). I am not sure where I posted the image on the site at the outset - but hope it ends up in the right place! Nancy and George had two boys - Kenneth (me) and Michael. Michael was killed in a road traffic accident along Walsall Road, Great Barr, Birmingham in 1955. He will always be remembered. I was with him when he was knocked off his bicycle by a bus. He died in the ambulance on the way to hospital.
So sad to hear of how you lost your brother. Thank you for sharing with us.

Hi Ken,
Your picture was not lost, it features on this website:

www.leroux.co.uk/aston

My mother was Edith Leroux (nee Keight) she lived at 143 Park Lane (about 6 houses away from the barber's Shop), My mum used to tell me that she looked after a young girl from the shop but it sounds as though it was probably after your dad's time around 1943ish. So sad about your brother's accident, as you say he will always be remembered fondly.

I did some research on your dad's shop when I created the website as I wanted to verify the date of the photo, I can't remember what I found out it was a couple of years ago, I will see if I can find the info.

Back