• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wiseman family of Larches Street

J.Kessey

Hello,
I am trying to find out more about my family using Ancestry.com
Unfortunately I have no one to ask about this sort of thing and I can only get so far
My grandmother was Gwendoline Sayers (married to Wiseman) and lived at 79 Larches Street in 1945, she was married to Reginald Wiseman who allegedly died on his own in his armchair at 39 Barbara Road.
I've heard stories before that they had 12 children ( I don't know how true this is as I only know of 5 children ) apparently 3 or 4 of them died between the ages of 0-7.

If anyone has any information on these people could you please contact me as I am stuck at a dead end!!
Thank you
Jasmine x

Gwendoline and Reginald J.Wiseman are listed on the electoral rolls from 1945 till 1957, but had gone by 1960. In 1947 Mary Cornthwaite and Freda Dunnington were also listed at that address (lodgers?). In 1939 they seem to be at 130 Stoney Lane (though they are listed as Joseph Reginald & Gwendoline Laura Wiseman. In 1960 there is a Gwendoline Wiseman living at 35 Stoke St, but cannot be sure it is the same one

There seem to be two Reginald Wiseman. There is also a Reginald Wiseman with an Ada E Wiseman living at 39 Barbara Road from 1945 electoral rolls till at least 1965 (which is the last date of the rolls online)

Thank you!
That has been super helpful!
I believe that Gwendoline and Reginald did name 2 children after themselves, so it's possible that the second one you have found is a son.
Is there anyway to find out who their children were?

You should be able to search on Ancestry for children named Wiseman with mother's maiden name Sayers. If you leave the child's name blank. I will try a search later from my laptop.

You should be able to search on Ancestry for children named Wiseman with mother's maiden name Sayers. If you leave the child's name blank. I will try a search later from my laptop.

I have tried that but Wiseman is a very common name and because I am unsure of all the facts, i'm struggling to piece together who is who

EDIT: The children that I know of are (Collette, Pauline, John, Richard, Barry)

Last edited:
Reginald J Wiseman married Gwendoline L Sayers 1936.
I have found no record of a birth for Collette Wiseman
but Wiseman/Sayers children b Birmingham are
Reginald J 1936
Pauline 1938
Anthony 1940
Barry D 1943 died 1951 age 7
John 1945
Richard M 1948
Gwendoline 1950 died 1950
Keith B 1951
Linda w 1953.
On 1939 census Reginald Joseph gave his birthdate 6th March 1912
but on his death 1982 it has 6th March 1913 (1912 is correct)
Gwendoline Laura gave her birthdate as 12th April 1916 on her death 1992 it is 12th april 1917(1916 is correct)
These records are in the public domain but any further information about these
potentially living persons has to be discussed by private message

Last edited:
Hello,
I am trying to find out more about my family using Ancestry.com
Unfortunately I have no one to ask about this sort of thing and I can only get so far
My grandmother was Gwendoline Sayers (married to Wiseman) and lived at 79 Larches Street in 1945, she was married to Reginald Wiseman who allegedly died on his own in his armchair at 39 Barbara Road.
I've heard stories before that they had 12 children ( I don't know how true this is as I only know of 5 children ) apparently 3 or 4 of them died between the ages of 0-7.

If anyone has any information on these people could you please contact me as I am stuck at a dead end!!
Thank you
Jasmine x
Hello, Just noticed your post, my Mother is Gwendolene's half sister. My Mother who is 90 still talks of those old days and often mentions Gwen.

Please contact me for more information.

Julie

Hello, I am Arthur Wiseman. We lived in Beechfield Road, near to Larches Street. My dad was Reginalds brother. We called him Uncle Joe. Memories are a bit faded but I remember lots of people in a big, I think detached, old house. I remember when my cousin Barry died. We were a family of 8 kids. Mom and Dad now gone but rest still around. What are you specifically trying to find out? I can ask the family maybe? Might be some photos around.

Reginald J Wiseman married Gwendoline L Sayers 1936.
I have found no record of a birth for Collette Wiseman
but Wiseman/Sayers children b Birmingham are
Reginald J 1936
Pauline 1938
Anthony 1940
Barry D 1943 died 1951 age 7
John 1945
Richard M 1948
Gwendoline 1950 died 1950
Keith B 1951
Linda w 1953.
On 1939 census Reginald Joseph gave his birthdate 6th March 1912
but on his death 1982 it has 6th March 1913 (1912 is correct)
Gwendoline Laura gave her birthdate as 12th April 1916 on her death 1992 it is 12th april 1917(1916 is correct)
These records are in the public domain but any further information about these
potentially living persons has to be discussed by private message
Hello, Just noticed your post, my Mother is Gwendolene's half sister. My Mother who is 90 still talks of those old days and often mentions Gwen.

Please contact me for more information.

Julie
My name is Claire wiseman. My dad is Keith wiseman Gwendoline’s son.

Hello, I am Arthur Wiseman. We lived in Beechfield Road, near to Larches Street. My dad was Reginalds brother. We called him Uncle Joe. Memories are a bit faded but I remember lots of people in a big, I think detached, old house. I remember when my cousin Barry died. We were a family of 8 kids. Mom and Dad now gone but rest still around. What are you specifically trying to find out? I can ask the family maybe? Might be some photos around.
My name is Claire wiseman my dad is Keith wiseman
Gwendolyn son

My dad is Keith wiseman Reginald was his dad

Well, Arthur Herbert Wiseman was Uncle Joe‘s younger brother. He was born in 1922 and was my Dad. The eight of us were bought up in 46, Beechfield Road which was a 10 min.walk from Uncle Joe’s. Their house was almost at the end of Larches Street and the corner of Ladypool Road. Pauline used to come to us a lot. Everyone was pretty poor then.

Back