• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

I haven't noticed any of that guilbert53, my computer is not too new, I built it myself about ten years ago and I've just let it do all the updates Microsoft have provided, so far never a problem, it just works.

Apart from a 10 minute problem last night, over the last year I have had no problems with Win 10 and it runs very smoothly for me and as a last resort I would simply do a recovery reinstall. With regard to Linux (we have got an old Linux thread :) ) I have it as dual boot in my newish desktop computer but my sound card has no up-to-date Linux drivers so slight sound problems, my two year old wifi printer has no Linux drivers, and the generic or substitutes don't fully work. My iPad and Win10 devices can print and check ink levels with no problems. I think most ordinary PC users would find Linux difficult unless it was set up for them and they simply used it for browsing and did not have to play with package manager and terminal and their printers, sound cards etc had reliable drivers.
This post is from my most reliable computing device .... my iPad ...:D
ps: my desktop computer just updated without any problems.

Last edited:
Some folks don't use Chrome because they don't like Google watching them but if you use Windows 10 Microsoft are watching everything .. as their Notification below shows.
The 'Update' won't load because I blocked it and the reason I used 'Performance Monitor' was because I accidently clicked the wrong button ... I haven't told them yet ...
I could switch off the 'Feedback' hub but they would still be watching ... :D
Screenshot (473).jpg

Had me an interesting couple of days here, my HDD was starting to make whining sounds so decided to go for a new fangled Crucial SSD to replace it, all went well except that the DVD/CD disappeared from device manager.
I spent a long long time on the net trying to find an answer and tried all the suggested 'do this do that, edit the registry etc.' remedies without success, even the Microsoft chat 'helper' was unable to fix it, told me that it was because my computer isn't compatible with Win 10 despite the fact that it's been running Win 10 from the day it came out.
Finally took the side off the tower, unplugged the DVD connector from the motherboard, restarted the computer and plugged the connector back in while it was running............job sorted, DVD back in device manager and all working again.
Phew!

As I've mentioned before on this thread, Windows 10 is incompatible with many machines that have a motherboard actually made by Intel as that company has now got out of that sector and has failed to provide updated BIOS for their boards. So I am taking a second look at Linux Mint, but I wanted to take this slowly, didn't want to install a dual boot system, but also wanted to keep the Windows & Linux systems entirely separate. I also wanted to add another 3Tb external disk to the 2 Tb already there. So were there any other alternatives apart from partitioning the disk & installing Mint on a USB stick?

Yes, I've bought another 3 Tb external hard disk, transferred the existing Windows 7 data from the 2Tb external disk to the new disk, re-formatted the 2 Tb disk and installed Linux Mint on that. All the disks stay connected. I merely change the boot order in the BIOS (F2 at boot-up on most machines) and select USB Boot as first option.

Under Mint & using USB 3.0, it boots and shuts down in a few seconds and runs like a dose of salts. I can also read the Windows files on the 3 Tb drive whilst in Linux - an added bonus, though I can't read the fixed Windows disks. My hope is that I can eventually dispense with Windows once I have got all salient programs running under Wine if I can't find a suitable Linux alternative. That will also give me added security in the event of a large external drive failing too.

Maurice

Bit of a query re defender. When I check my security settings it comes up that my virus checker is turned off and the option to turn it on does not work. When I check to see why this is I get the message that the checker is turned off by my system administrator. As I'm the administrator and this W10 pro version was downloaded as an update to W8.1 I am unable to see what the problem, or the cure, may be. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Do youi have another anti virus program working. I understand that to avoid conflict this may turn off defender

I am not a windows 10 user, so I may not be completely accurate in my response, however:

You may have a piece of malware on your system. Malware programmes are very good at preventing us from removing them and will often switch off your existing anti virus programs. I have even known that prevent the installation of a third party anti virus programme. If this was my computer I would firstly try downloading and running the Windows Malicious Removal Tool. Only obtain it from the Microsoft site. This tool is updates every month, so use the current version.

If this fails, try running it again in safe mode ( I am assuming w10 can do this) .

For days m/s have been trying to download system 1709 never gets past 80%. Defender doesn't load if you have another anti virus just as Mike says

Windows 10 _ 1709 has run in my laptop and desktop since last Sept with no problems apart from one I mentioned in #743 which was caused by me being impatient after an update. Windows Defender is running but indicates that anti-virus and firewall are controlled by Norton which I installed to remotely protect my grandaughter's computer but she's gone over to Apple so I shall drop Norton. I also use an iPad which I pick up, it reads my finger print and 5 seconds later I'm on the internet.

I'm still using IE for most of the time but do try Edge occasionally, not yet ready to move over completely, I never got on with Chrome and never tried any other, IE always did all I need.

There's an odd frequent misconception. People think that because they use Linux they aren't going to get virus/malware attacks. Given the fact that a (cut-down) version of Linux is now the most used on the planet, it's extremely unlikely that the usual attackers won't try. You should be able to find malware scanners and filters in the usual store so install one.

I mostly use Chrome because my bookmarks sync to the Chrome in my iPad. I occasionally have a try with Edge and it imports the bookmarks from Chrome and I can make it look the same as Chrome but it keeps showing 'not responding' on websites which is unacceptable. I have a 'work-around' by keeping the 'Edge Repair' button on the task bar and a click on it makes Edge repair itself (takes about 5 secs) and it is then usable. The fact that Microsoft have made a 'repair' button available says something ....

Many posters on the Linux Mint Forum, who have used Linux for many years in various the distros (kinds) available, for a good number of years, will say that they never install anti virus programmes. As there is no registry, such as Windows possesses, it is stated that there is less need and it is frequently said that installation of such programmes can cause issues.
Whether they are correct or not I can not say but having used Linux for a while now, without anti virus installed and not encountered problems, I am prepared to accept their more experienced views.
Linux gives frequent programme updates which take very little time to download and install, compared to Windows. I have dual boot available - Linux or Windows. Once a week I boot up Windows 10, just to keep it updated. It certainly does update, usually taking at least ten minutes, often more. I do use Windows Defender for the Windows system which seems far more adequate than it once was.
I recently received an e-mail from a known friend which contained something to do with Google. My ISP (TalkTalk) warned me that there was a possibility it contained a virus needless to say I did not open or read the content. So there are ways, without expensive paid for programmes, for protecting your self.

I recently installed Linux Mint on a 2Tb portable disk from which it will boot. Dual boot systems with a menu are not for me as any serious updates to Windows result in the Linux option being overwritten. I'.m now able to do the switch between the two by either removing the USB plug from one or the other or make a couple of changes to the BIAS. As the USB 3 socket is behind the machine, I generally prefer do the latter. Mint runs very quickly and this mechanism keeps the two systems separate.

Maurice

I created a second primary partition and installed Linux Mint on that. If I start the computer normally I get Windows 10. If I hold the shift key down and start the computer it puts up a choice Win 10 or Linux. Chrome syncs across all my devices.
I've never used AV with Linux and I'm on my second iPad and never used AV etc on it over 5 years. All my emails are forwarded to my Apple email where I read them but never send from it and I never click on links in emails.

I partitioned in much the same manner as Old Mohawk, the difference probably being that Linux Mint loads by default as it it the first option. A drop down menu for Windows 10 if required. Opera and Firefox (rarely used) also sync across operating systems and devices. One facet that has endeared me to Linux is the fact that I do not have to ensure anti/v is up to date and there is no need for scanning.

Had a 'tidy up' day with my computers and tablet yesterday and noticed Microsoft had issued an app for their Edge browser on iPads. For a laugh I installed it but didn't laugh for long because it is good, fast, and syncs with my Win 10 and it knows all my favourite parts of the BHF as shown below ..:)
EDGE_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Microsoft let me have the latest Windows 10 April 2018 update yesterday evening.
Using their Media Creation Tool it took just over 1 hour.
Now on Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.1) ... everything running ok.

oldMohawk , I think I had that update this afternoon, it took about 40 minutes, at the end it gave me numerous options (white lettering on a blue background), as it was mostly double Dutch to me I declined them all. Everything seems to be running OK thankfully. Eric

Hi Eric,
I also declined all of those options. The main change I have noticed is that the Edge browser has been greatly improved and now works almost as good and as fast as any browser I have ever used. Browsing history can now show visually on screen if required and Microsoft has named this feature 'Timeline'.
oldmohawk

Just in case anybody doesn't know this. After you have done your WINDOWS 10 upgrade and if you are happy with it don't forget to do a disc clean up as "windows OLD" folder will take up a chunk of memory maybe 20 + GBs which if you haven't got a massive hard drive is taking up a lot of unnecessary space. Go to your control panel and select administrative tools the disc clean and select clean system files tick the boxes that you want to delete and let it get on with it.

I use Linux more or less all the time, except on a laptop which is still W10. I updated both pcs today and cleared all the junk out in line with Chris B's comment. Now back on Linux. :)

oldMohawk, I normally click on 'BT Yahoo! Broadband' to check my emails, then 'Internet Explorer' for browsing, have done so in the 15 years I have had a PC, but will give 'Microsoft Edge' a try. Eric

I've been using Edge more and more recently but still have IE on the computer, I've found there is some stuff that Edge doesn't do that IE will.

Back