• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

A bit of computing trivia ...
I happened to click on Microsoft's 'Photos' app today and the laptop chugged away and found and displayed every photo in the system ... 10,685 photos and 431 videos !
It seems 22 years ago, I had a Ford Focus car, went to Bedgellert in Wales, also to Derwent dam in Derbyshire where I drove along a road with a warning sign for frogs ... :)
Untitled.jpg

Microsoft do respond ...
On Tuesday a Windows 11 update messed up the display on certain apps although browser displays were ok. I used 'feedback hub' to report it. Within minutes they sent a temporary 'quick fix' (switch to light) and now they are 'digging into' the problem as the pic shows.
Image1.jpg

Last edited:
Apple recently informed me that my free space on the iCloud was full and did I want to buy some space. I did not so looked through photos I had on the cloud to see what I could delete ... lots of them.
One I noticed was this from some years ago, when the forum went 'Vanilla' for a week!
IMG_0802.jpg
A week later 'XenForo' came along, blossomed over time and today even has falling leaves
9578_iOS.jpg

hdmi adapter/converter arrived to day, unpluged the svga and plugged in the dp adapter the screen size has gone huge and i cant change display size. :(

It depends whether it is a Windows setting or a setting in your monitor menu. When I right click on my screen and select 'display settings' the Windows settings appear and if I change from recommended I get different display sizes. The monitor menu on my HP screen is done with buttons on the monitor and is a bit awkward.

hdmi adapter/converter arrived to day, unpluged the svga and plugged in the dp adapter the screen size has gone huge and i cant change display size. :(
bring up your display settings. ( type display settings in the box bottom left ) These are my settings....Text size 125%......
Display resolution 1920x1080...........orientation landscape. There may be easierways but this is how i do it.

bring up your display settings. ( type display settings in the box bottom left ) These are my settings....Text size 125%......
Display resolution 1920x1080...........orientation landscape. There may be easierways but this is how i do it.
ta smudger. that is my settings too with vga and hdmi but when i plug the Display Port adapter in and the hdmi into that all goes huge,and i cant do any adjustments. me thinks the dpa can go in the skip and i will stick with svga before i knager the whole thing up.:(

The first update of 2023 landed in my Win 11 computer today .... they've put rounded corners on the search box ... I'm not sure what this does for me .... but it looks nice ... :)

I definitely prefer Windows 11 over Windows 10 and for me it is faster and easier to use because of better layout with the Start and Taskbar ... but we all use our computers differently.
I'm using Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.1095

Last edited:
I upgraded to Windows 10 about 2 years ago, and I have no intention of upgrading to Windows 11. I like this operating system because it increased security protections and works fast and efficiently. Windows 10 has an app store, which Windows 7 didn’t have, which offers a diversity of movies, apps, and games that function well. I also prefer Microsoft Edge as an alternative to Windows Explorer because of the available features. This browser is modernized and has great tab management features. And just an FYI, you don’t need to purchase an expensive windows key. There are websites from where you can buy cheap reddit windows keys legit.

Last edited:
I seem to be a forum member who likes Windows 11 ... :)

Press the Windows Key and a nice Start menu appears with main apps pinned to it.
Click the All apps button and every app in the computer is listed.
Settings can adjust all that needs setting.
Windows Security built-in and guarding the device.
A This PC button which shows the devices and drives.
OneDrive for moving files etc from device to device and even iPads
and many other features for smooth running of the device

What's not to like ?

There are alternatives to Microsoft as you probably know Richard. They are less intrusive as well. ;)
Understand, however I use MS office for the bit of consulting work I do and it’s easier particularly for clients in Europe and Asia. While zoom has basically become the generic term, we use MSmeeting most of the time time.
when I purchased a new computer a few month ago everything came with MS.
Separately I am amazed at how intrusive so many of the techs are!

I seem to be a forum member who likes Windows 11 ... :)

Press the Windows Key and a nice Start menu appears with main apps pinned to it.
Click the All apps button and every app in the computer is listed.
Settings can adjust all that needs setting.
Windows Security built-in and guarding the device.
A This PC button which shows the devices and drives.
OneDrive for moving files etc from device to device and even iPads
and many other features for smooth running of the device

What's not to like ?
For me the change from 10 to 11 was strange but I am over that now. I have clients in Sweden, India and the US and they for the most part run 11. I have had no issues with data or other transfer nor did I with 10.

Can anyone recommend a free video editor please? I've tried VideoPad from NCH software but they seem to want quite a hefty payment for continued use.

P.S. Should have added 'easy to use!!!'

Last edited:
Back