• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

Well that did go well, in facat it collapsed in a heap 15 mins in, luckily it is an old laptop so I will make disk images before I upgrade my important computers.
Tried that as well, when I clicked install it came back missing file and didn't even try. Think I'll leave it for now and wait patiently, as it's only 0730 hrs where the servers are based and Microsoft did say it would be downloaded today then maybe I'm being a bit too keen :)

In this weeks Computeractive magazine there is an article on W10. It says 'If you install W10 then you find you do not like it for whatever reason, you have 2 choices. 1, The installation process will by default, automatically save a copy of your PC in its current state (assuming you have enough hard drive space), If you find that you dont like W10, then you can restore your PC to its former self by clicking Start, then Settings, and then Update and Security. Select recovery on the left, then click Go back to a previous version of Windows. However, you only have a 30 day time limit, then you are stuck with it.' 2 The other way is what has already been mentioned on here and that is to create a System Imagebackup prior to installing W10.

Looking at the comments across the internet it seems there are big problems with an update failing and many people are having the sort of problem I had. So I'm going to keep well away from it until they sort it.

A lot of info here about W10 -plus other pc related items.
https://forums.techguy.org/

Sony say it will be next month when W10 is compatible with VAIO, I am not sure about the desktop, I have not seen any download or any info about W10 since the other day. But I will wait and I think that is not a bad idea, let the issues get sorted first.

Addendum: This link is for anyone with a Sony VAIO (W8.1 or W7)

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/os10upgrade.pl

As my laptop is W.7 I don't have to wait to long and I guess things will be smoother by then.

Well I have took the plunge and started to install it. It is at 71% at the moment and it has been almost hour and a half. Good job I have a laptop as well.

What I hate is when Windows gets to the configuration stage and then hangs - there is absolutely nothing you can do except start all over again. I hope it all completes successfully Terry.

Maurice

All downloaded sucessfully, took almost 2.5 hours but we got there. Just connected my printer to it, working ok. Fonts are a bit large, so I'll have to try and find out how to reduce the size. A couple of my hard drives are not showing, I can't work out yet how to find them but my son will be down tomorrow to help me out. My money program is not compatible,will have to find another one. I rely on that to keep track of my finances. On the whole it all seems ok, a bit of a learning curve but I think I will soon get used to it. I will leave it for tonight and try again tomorrow. Maurice I had that problem where it was stuck on 71% for more than half hour. I thought it had failed but I left it, went and had my tea and when I came back up it had installed.

Glad it went OK for you Terry. Mine stuck about the same place on a reinstall of Windows 7 and I left it overnight and it was still stuck in the morning, so I had no option to crash it and start again. Went OK the second time. Fickle stuff this Windows.

Maurice

Microsoft were not doing anything so I installed another way, took just over an hour on my old laptop with it's broken screen so most of the time could not see what was happening on the remote screen I use. I'm most impressed by it, everything that was on my desktop screen before I started was on the W10 desktop when it opened as a windows snip shows. I shall upgrade my other computers with no worries.
w10 (Medium).JPG

I'm still on Windows 8.1. Had a lot of failures in Windows Update. Various error codes. Tried some of the things mentioned on some forums, but still failed! (it did download then got stuck on "preparing for installation" for ages).

Will see what happens on Thursday evening (or Friday or the weekend).

It will be interesting to see what benefit W10 gives. I have read this morning there is a problem with WIFI passwords but that is easily fixed. I don't think I will upgrade yet unless there is significant benefits.

Probably a daft question but, how do you know when W10 has been downloaded. I've been in to control panel and carried out routine updates but it still shows as 8.1.

I think it may tell you, but I would keep going to windows updates to check. I have W10 on my desktop but it has'nt gone to my laptop yet. Last night when I installed W10 there were things like hard drives that was'nt recognised and programs like Family Tree Maker 2005 did'nt work which I did'nt expect to anyway. But when I switched on this morning it seems to have found everything as it was before, I'm happy. the only program so far that does'nt work is Microsoft Money and to be honest I did'nt expect it to. Some of the shortcuts on my desktop dont work so I will have to create some new ones. Apart from that I think I am going to like it. The only thing I have'nt tried yet is the CD drive of which I am about to try.
P.S. If anyone knows of a decent free money program please let me know.

Last edited:
Just installed it on my W8.1 laptop, updates had failed and no notification from Microsoft so I downloaded it from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
I have a fast connection and chose to upgrade my laptop (not download the iso file). The whole process took 1hr 36min and continuous informative messages, one said 'Sit back and Relax' another said 'Just a few more tweaks'
I started it from my desktop view so when I started W10 I had a screen which looked almost the same as in post#131. Everything working even old apps. I am most impressed again ...
encouragement.png

Upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday (the first day available in the UK ) all went well. I just have to work out how to USE it LOL.

Looking into this W10 saga a little further seems to suggest that it is some drivers that are not compatible, hence some folks getting issues.

I did check my desktop and the drivers are listed as Microsoft which would explain that W10 is compatible and ready to go. However, the drivers on my Sony laptop are not M/Soft hence the advice by Sony to hold fire.

In general the rule is to choose the latest set of drivers with any version of Windows. But be careful, there are times when this is not always true, as I have found, much to my annoyance. So if you do get a problem and earlier versions of drivers are still available, it might sometimes pay to take the retrograde step! I'm thinking mainly in terms of audio & graphics.

Maurice

Hi Eric - I don't think Windows 10 has any major advantage over Windows 7 and the way I use it makes my Windows 10 look very much like Windows 7 see post#131.

For browsing the internet, emails, without 'syncing' to many devices, Windows 7 is perfectly acceptable.

With Windows 10, Microsoft are pushing users towards creating a Microsoft account. This is then used to log into the machine where it links up with your email, calendar, OneDrive shared storage and more, syncing them across all your devices.

I get all my 'syncing' and iCloud use with my iPad and Apple account, so I just have a local logins on my Windows computers.

i'm afraid I have no particular desire to use any of those features. However I did install W10 on one of my laptops today. Went away and when I came back it was in sleep mode and I had to turn off and on again to get anything. it then did not recognise my password, so I went on as "not mikejee", and it then gave me the opportunity to log on again and this time it did recognise it. Looks ok so far, but have found when I tried to log onto natwest site using the new browser that the site "does not recognise this browser".

Thanks OldMohawk, will stick with W7 as long as I can, it copes with all my requirements. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.Eric

Mike Natwest recognises Google Chrome.

ON - MS brought in the need to have a MS account with W8 I signed up then changed my email back one of my choice.

I realise that Bernard, in fact that is what i usually use. I was just pointing out that it may not at present be possible to access some sites via "Edge"

Thanks OldMohawk, will stick with W7 as long as I can, it copes with all my requirements. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.Eric

eric i am of the same mind....my feelings are if it aint broke dont fix it lol...

Downloaded and installed windows 10 yesterday, I'd had a few failed attempts by ms to install updates so I followed oldmohawks link on #136, took 2 1/2 hours to install completely and I'm on Virgins top speed, Quite satisfied with result but not over impressed.

Downloaded 10 yesterday, took about 2 hours. Quite like what I see at the moment. Like the way it pops up on the left.

I realise that Bernard, in fact that is what i usually use. I was just pointing out that it may not at present be possible to access some sites via "Edge"
If you search Windows 10 in your computer for IE11 you will find it is there and should still have your bookmarks (favourites) ... mine has. Microsoft seem to have slightly hidden it.
Right click on it and pin it to the task bar or start menu.

Just had email saying W10 is on its way to me, could be a few hours or a week or two. Also gave a link to download straight away but it means downloading to a USB memory stick or DVD, think I'll wait until it arrives.

Back