• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

oldMohawk/pinburns, is there any way to prove their remarks true or false and how can you check the batteries present condition. Personally I am quite happy to click on my BT icon, then Google, alternatively IE 11. Chrome, Firefox etc... all to clever for me. I like things simple for my non-tech mind. Eric

oldMohawk/pinburns, is there any way to prove their remarks true or false and how can you check the batteries present condition. Personally I am quite happy to click on my BT icon, then Google, alternatively IE 11. Chrome, Firefox etc... all to clever for me. I like things simple for my non-tech mind. Eric
Hi Eric, In my opinion Microsoft's claims about better battery life with Edge are nonsense.
In 'Settings' I had previously switched off 'Get tips, tricks, and suggestions' but Msoft must have switched them back on in an update ... I've now switched them off again.
I do occasionally use Edge just for a change but have the impression that it runs slightly slower than Chrome.
oldmohawk

Thanks oldMohawk, I'm a great believer in 'if it works why fix it (or something like that). So I'll carry on the way I am. Eric

I tried Chrome once and thought it was a pain compared to Internet Explorer so didn't continue with it, I'm not sure about Edge and although it's on the computer I still tend to use IE by choice

Sometime in the early part of this century Microsoft integrated Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer so they're part of the same thing and part of Windows itself which is why you can't remove IE as you would other programs. Edge is supposed to replaced IE so I assume the same goes for that. Consequently, it should require less resources than other programs unless you're not using Windows as the operating system. Using less resources means less impact on the battery. On the other hand an internet browser isn't exactly a heavy use program under normal circumstances.

just wondered if anyone else is having the same trouble as me...i cant log in on windows 10 lappy but no problem with my windows 7 desk top..

lyn

I notice that some "posters" can write titles numbers etcetera on pictures. I use ms edge and their "make web note" function. I've managed to draw lines and can make notes BUT the note is in a white box that obscures a chunk of the picture. I can't get rid of this box, I'm sure that I'm not a million miles from adding notes/titles to a picture but how do I save just the note. Keep it simple, please!

I sometimes use Edge when I feel like it and am using it to post this. If I want to add text to a pic I always use a photo editor and see that the pic looks presentable before I upload it.

One little snag I have with Windows 10. On this laptop I can use a PIN to log on, but on my desktop computer, no matter what I do, I cannot set a PIN and still have to use a password. I use the same Microsoft account on both devices.

I notice that some "posters" can write titles numbers etcetera on pictures. I use ms edge and their "make web note" function. I've managed to draw lines and can make notes BUT the note is in a white box that obscures a chunk of the picture. I can't get rid of this box, I'm sure that I'm not a million miles from adding notes/titles to a picture but how do I save just the note. Keep it simple, please!
Hi Devonjim, I had a play with Edge Notes but could not get rid of the white background.
Edge finally seems to be sorting out it's Favourites (bookmarks) ... see pic below.
I have my favourite threads of the BHF sorted in folders for instant access to them.
Edge now has the 'Adblock' extension which I'm using but switched off for this page.
Note use of BHF https and https. I log on with https and then open and use https.
I do however mainly use Chrome, but Edge is my second choice over IE11.
oldmohawk
Screenshot (135).jpg

Yesterday i decided to upgrade to Windows 10 & install it on a external hard drive. I was asked for my Win 7 product key which i provided & a few seconds later it came up as error. I put the product key in again & it still says error 0xc004E003. I can only conclude that the guy i bought this desktop pc from, has installed a dodgy Win 7. Looks like i`ll be sticking with Win 7, which i believe will stop receiving Microsoft updates after 2020. I have a bona-fide Win 7 home premium key from my laptop,(which i`ve just sold) but the desktop pc is Win 7 professional.

Hi Smudger, You can check whether your Windows 7 is genuine ... without alerting Microsoft ...
Click on Start, then Control Panel, then click on System and Security, and finally click on System.
Then scroll all the way down to the bottom and you should see a section called Windows activation, which says “Windows is activated” and gives you the Product ID. It also includes the genuine Microsoft software logo.
Try it and let us know the result ....

Thanks for trying, had a look on MS help and there was no apparent way to be rid of the "white" box. Shame really.

oldMohawk, thanks for that info. It says i have 12 days left to activate Windows. So, in 12 days time i won`t have an OS.? It also says Product ID 00371-OEM-8992671-00524 followed by "change product key" The product key i found in the pc doesn`t work! Am i snookered?

Hi Smudger,
The 'Change Product Key' note always shows, I can see it on my devices.
Your W7 may be tied to your original hard drive as an OEM copy ... and MSoft might be thinking you are installing another copy on a separate drive without releasing it from the original drive.
If you have run your W7 desktop for some years without seeing activation warnings I would think it was genuine.
Non activated Windows will run but you just get regular nag messages and gradual reduction of features.
I think you need to do some searching about the problem on the various Windows forums particularly about Windows installations on external drives.

oldMohawk, I changed my password to a 4 digit PIN on my desk top PC after my Windows 10 download completed and have no trouble logging on. Eric

oldMohawk, I`ve only had this desktop for a couple of weeks & so far i`m very impressed with it, but not if it stops working in 12 days time. I`ve emailed the guy that i bought it from & i either want a refund or a genuine win 7 professional key. I bought it off ebay from a guy with 100% positive feedback so i felt confident about the purchase. Question, i still have the win 7 recovery discs from my laptop, would they work in this pc or are they tied to the laptop?

oldMohawk, I changed my password to a 4 digit PIN on my desk top PC after my Windows 10 download completed and have no trouble logging on. Eric
Hi Eric, I use the PIN on my laptop with no problems and I like the fact that it logs in as soon as the last digit is entered. However, when I tried to put a PIN on my desktop the procedure just 'hung' ... apparently it is a known problem. I prefer to use a PIN because it is tied to a particular device ...some info 'Why a PIN is better than a password' is here
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/keep-secure/hello-why-pin-is-better-than-password

Hi Smudger, the Windows 7 for your laptop is tied to it and won't activate in another device. Also the free upgrades of W7 to W10 are now out of time.
oldmohawk

Easiest is to open the picture in Paint, click the A symbol in Tools, select the colour you want and then click on the picture where you want to type. If you don't want to keep the typing on the original photo, 'Save As' rather than 'Save'.

Hi Smudger, the Windows 7 for your laptop is tied to it and won't activate in another device. Also the free upgrades of W7 to W10 are now out of time.
oldmohawk
The free upgrade from win7 to win 10 is still available for certain qualifying people. I have the details written down somewhere. I`ve emailed the guy i bought it from & he says if it stops working in 12 days time then he`ll give me a full refund. Thanks for your help.

Microsoft are very helpful when activation problems occur, this page may help.
If you have to use the phone activation you need to be ready with the activation key which you will have to type in using the phone keypad and you will be given a new activation key number to use, it's all automated so as I say you need to be ready with pen and paper.
I've done several of these when I was dabbling at fixing up used computers/laptops.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/950929/get-help-activating-microsoft-windows

Hi Jukebox, I don't normally have trouble setting a PIN, I have one in my laptop and also put one in my grandaughter's Windows tablet, but my desktop is fighting back. I eventually ended up in C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC which is a dicy area and almost done it but had a major crash and had to reinstall Windows. I will solve it eventually.
oldmohawk

I haven't tried to put a pin on my desktop, the one on the laptop seemed to be offered up without a request so it's there but I didn't ask for it.
I'll see if I can get it on my desktop.

Back