• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10 Mail

florna

knowlegable brummie
Can someone come to the rescue please?
I have a tiscali.co.uk email address and I use TalkTalk Mail for my in and out emails.
To send an email via Windows 10 Mail I have to get into TalkTalk to retrieve an address.
How do I transfer my contacts from TalkTalk to Windows 10 Mail?
Make it simple please!!! I have looked at various sites on Google and haven't yet found one with simple guidelines (or at least ones that I can understand!).
Anyone's help would be very much appreciated.
Dave

I don't think there is a simple answer.

Although I received an outlook email address with Win 10 I never use it and prefer to send my emails direct from their own pages within a browser or from an iPad.

There seems to be a method to do it in the 'talktalk help page' see link below. It looks like you can use your talktalk email within Win 10.
I think you can probably ignore the procedure in the pink box and go direct to 'To set up your TalkTalk email in Windows 10, please take the following steps'. which show diagrams with instructions. I would advise making a copy and print the instructions so you can refer to them as you proceed.

Note: if you have already used Win 10 mail you might not see the initial 'Welcome' screen as per the TalkTalk procedure and might see the screen as on my mail shown below. After clicking the 'gear wheel' at the bottom of the mail screen, then 'manage accounts', then 'add an account', TalkTalk will probably be the bottom choice 'Other account' 'POP,IMAP'. You would probably need to enter the data shown in steps 6,7,and 8 of the TalkTalk procedure in the link.

https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/set-windows-10-mail-talktalk-email

As said before there is no simple answer .... hopefully a forum member who has done it can advise ...
mailimage.JPG

Have to say, Dave, that I think that Windows 10 Mail has been launched in a not fully developed form. It lacks features which we have all got used to in OE, Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail. The other problem is that, as with Windows 10 itself, there is not yet an enormous online store of knowledge and experience, accumulated over years, which we can all draw on when we have problems of our own.

I quickly reverted to Windows Live Mail when starting to use Windows 10 last year. Whether that program would be better for you in your circumstances, I'm afraid I don't know. But it certainly suits me better.

Chris

Many thanks oldMohawk for your advice and links. My son and son in law are with me this week end so I will put their expertise to good use. I will let you know how I get on.
once again - many thanks
Dave

Chris - many thanks for your advice. If the info from oldMohawk doesn't work I will put into practice what you have said.
Again - many thanks
Dave

I don't know if anyone else suffers with my problem, since I installed windows 10, every 3 or 4 weeks when I leave my computer on the (sleep mode), I come in the morning to find it has crashed in the night and have to spend half an hour rebooting and get a message (windows is repairing file C). its a mystery to me.Paul

Might be worth checking if the crashes coincide with some failed download or other, Paul?

Chris

Yes, thanks, its seems to linked to (windows updates) Chris.I don't know how to disable these in W10. Paul

Hi Paul - I always use 'hibernate' rather than sleep it seems more reliable. Hibernate saves the current position in your computer and switches off thus preventing any updates coming in overnight. Some updates need the computer to shut down and restart. What does your Win 10 reliability monitor show ?
It should show when updates came in and what happened for each day. In my computer two big updates came in yesterday 1st March requiring a restart. Unless you have Windows 10 Pro version, updates cannot be stopped from automatically downloading.
Phil

Last edited:
Hi Phil, I only have the free windows 10, so it isn't the "Pro", also I do not have a "Hibernate" setting. thanks for everyone's advice, much appreciated.Paul

I only have 'sleep'. 'shut down' and 'restart', always use 'shut down', to date not experienced any problems, some times also switch off at mains. Eric

Have solved my email problem - thanks to your help! Now there are no folders to keep important emails. May come with an update I expect when Windows 10 try to solve problems.
Dave

As far as I can see, Dave, the lack of an offline message storage system is the main deficiency with W10 Mail. How on earth they can come up with something designed to supersede all previous programs, and omit a feature which many people have come to rely on (and possibly cannot do without), is beyond me!

Chris

In most email such as Gmail, or your ISP, there is an option to create folders. It can certainly be done in Gmail.

With Windows 10 see the following quote from the help page ....
How do I add or remove folders?
In Mail for Windows 10, you have a set of folders associated with each of your accounts, including Drafts, Sent Items, and Deleted Items. Each type of account you create can have a different set of folders. For example, Office 365 accounts also include Sync Issues, Clutter, and Junk Email. You can't create additional folders or delete existing folders in the current version of Mail for Windows 10, but that feature is coming soon.

If I want to save very important email info I usually copy and save it in a text file or word processor in my laptop etc or to a usb memory stick.

I would agree with Chris - Mail for Windows 10 is not much use ..... compared to most other email programs .

Back