• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wilton Cemetery

J

jcsturgis

Looking for an ancestor of mine, one John Sturgess, who died on 18/04/1885 and, whilst also being listed on his parents gravestone in Marston Trussell (Northamptonshire), the gravestone specifies that he was interred in Wilton Cemetary, Birmingham.

Is this the same as Witton Cemetary, which I have seen a few postings for, or is it somewhere different.

Does anyone have a transcription of the burial that took place there (whichever one it is)?

Many thanks.

Hello jcsturgis, Yes I would think this is the Witton cemetery there is no Wilton Cemetery so it may have been a mistake by the stonemason. The cemetery in enormous. The burial records have not been transcribed. They are on microfilm at Birmingham Library but beware they are very difficult to read. I believe Witton cemetery charge for lookups, you could try contacting them and giving as much information as you can as you only want one. I notice you are in Tamworth so it also my be worth a visit to the cemetery. Check first that the office is open. Good luck Wendy.

Wendy,

Thanks for the information - I'll try dropping Witton cemetary a mail tomorrow and see if they can help.

I can feel a happy afternoon cemetary stomping soon !!

Thanks again,

Julia.

Witton Cemetery

I have to say that when I was tracing my relations... I did know that it was definitely Witton Cem. The office were absolutely amazing..(this was a good few years ago though!!) even giving me details of when my great grandparents grave was renovated. This info.. gave me the clue that I needed... although the cemetery couldn't give me a phone number of who had had the grave renovated ... they contacted the person who then contacted me!! It lead to wonderful information about my family... photographs and details. So please ask if any renovations have been carried out if you find your grave. As you have the death date.. I would have thought it would be fairly easy to establish if Witton is indeed the correct cemetery.
I have a map of the Cemetery with all the sections marked.
https://www.wittonfriends.org.uk/contacts/contacts.html
Maps of the site are available from the cemetery office.
e-mail: [email protected]
Looking on the site... it would seem that 30 mins research is £18. https://www.wittonfriends.org.uk/maps/maps.html My map is much more detailed than this.

Hope you find your info... Georgie

Julia
Most of my family are buried there and when I've had cause to visit the office the staff couldn't have been more helpful, In fact brilliant:)

Witton Cemetery Map with Ref.. Numbers

This is the Witton Cemetery Map I have.... it's on https://www.astonbrook-through-astonmanor.co.uk Click on the Latest Updates... and whizz down to 2006.... January 5th... USEFUL MAPS... As it is very large... I just saved it into a file and opened in Photoshop and resized and printed out.
Georgie

Witton Cemetary,

I have been in touch with Witton Cemetary,and the were very helpful told me the number of the grave and also sent me a map.I was told it is a common grave can anybody explain to me what is mean't by that.
I emailed them last week with detail's I knew,wasn't even sure the burial was at Witton,so i think they were wonderful.

Back