• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wilmot Breeden Limited

My brother worked for Willmot and Breeden during the early 1960s making ignition keys.
We as a family lived in Yarnfield Road,Tyseley.
Stephen.
Actually Wilmots never made keys, I worked as apprentice then tool maker and later in the training centre and we always said wilmots never put their name on anything they made. As far as I remember the keys were made by Union and Parkes locks in Wolverhampton.

Thanks for that, I'm always interested in any industry in Tyseley, I'm sure my mom worked twilight shifts there years ago. But because I started the thread about the co-op toy factory someone called radiorails closed the thread. I started another about Stephens Umbrellas. Thanks again and a happy new year.

Thanks for that, I'm always interested in any industry in Tyseley, I'm sure my mom worked twilight shifts there years ago. But because I started the thread about the co-op toy factory someone called radiorails closed the thread. I started another about Stephens Umbrellas. Thanks again and a happy new year.

Actually Wilmots never made keys, I worked as apprentice then tool maker and later in the training centre and we always said wilmots never put their name on anything they made. As far as I remember the keys were made by Union and Parkes locks in Wolverhampton.

Wilmot

Hi Virusman, Have just come accross you request from 2009 for any info on toolmakers at Fordhouse Lane. If you are still interested I worked in the toolroom for 9 years and would be happy to give you a full list of every toolmaker up to 77 when I left.
Hi, I have only just come across this website, my Dad Charles Giles used to work for Wilmot Bredon, he was a Toolmaker there, I know he worked at the branch in SpringHill and then moved to the branch in Witton, I know he worked there in the early 60's as I recall meeting him coming out of work I was about 7 then, Dad worked for Wilmot's until he had to have time of for heart surgery he was not well enough to return there that would have been early 1970's, don't know if you would have known him, regards Pat

My dad Vic Hunt was a bumper polisher at Wilmot Breedons in Amington Road, he lived in Yardley and cycled to work. He met my mom and she worked there assembling locks and they got married in 1950, and lived in Berkeley Road East, Hay Mills. Dad was still working there until he died aged 52 in January 1979. My brother Dave worked there with dad for a short while. Once they had done their quota on nights, they would then get their heads down. My mom is now 84, and still comes out with stories when we go and see her.

I remember going up to the sports ground by the airport as dad used to fish the lake, and won loads of prizes, the first time I saw a colour t.v. was at the sports ground and there was a nature programme on the t.v. that must have been around 1967. I also used to go the works Christmas parties/pantomime trips
My Dad worked there too , he was a bumper polisher, Alan Smith was his name .I was wondering if you knew him . A big stature of a man and an avid Birmingham City fan

Hi Glenys my dad worked in K block starting in the late 30s he worked there for 30 years. My mother worked in A block through the war and they got married in 1943. Like you I went to all the Christmas parties and spent a lot of time at the sports ground. I was at the sports ground when they opened the then new pavilion. I started work at Wilmots in 1964 and worked there for 30 years myself starting in k block but moving to the kings road factory one year later. I spent many a happy day fishing at the sports ground also play football in the inter department games. Many happy days.

Hi Old Brummie,

We lived at 47 Cranes Park. In the 1960s and 1970s the Fowlers lived to one side of us and the Mathers to the other.

Some of the many characters who also lived in the area were Percy Jinks (corner of Cranes Park and Forest Hill) and his very gracious wife and Charlie Wall who remained as fit as a fiddle most of his life and lived a way up Forest Hill.

My mother Margaret still lives at the Cranes Park address.

There were other Lewis relatives on Church Road near to the Radleys and my aunt lived in Ivydale Avenue.

I remember the old Sheldon Cinema as well. The last film that I remember seeing there was something like "Herbie the Love Bug" (the VW Beetle car that could think like a person). Now there is an NCR building on the site.

I also remember that the old Three Horse Shoes pub was just about still standing at that time. Why they didn't preserve that building I don't know.
My Dad worked there ,Alan Smith and still lives on Cranes Park Road Sheldon .He polished crome bumpers

HI THERE
Doe,s Any=body Recall Wilmott Breedon Of Camden Street
Hockley Spring hill Did Any body Work There
I Used To Lve In King edwards Rd Just Up The Road By The Kirby Gang
Wilmotts and Breedon Had Afew Factory,s Around Brum
They Had One Next To The Ice Rink At Spring Hill And They Had One In Cheston Rd Aston Off Rocky Lane
I Have Got AN Invoice Addressed To R,H Burman Ltd Avon Works
Tyburn Rd Bham 24, FOR Reqeusting Payment For Materials Supplied
I Have Down Loaded The Copy On The Thread If Any-body Wants To See It
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Hi, I have found the various contributions and reminiscences in this thread very interesting; I am so glad this company and its people are not forgotten as they were one of many firms that lead the UK with innovation. I wrote a book a couple of years back on The Ferrograph Company , who were owned for a while by Wilmot Breedon , back in the 1960s & 1970s and I made a small mention of the firm in that. The Breedons were not solely confined to car parts and had interests elsewhere, mainly though in electronics. This first collimated in an interest in a firm called Wayne Kerr back in the late 1940s with David Breedon installed as a director. Wayne Kerr made high quality test and measurement equipment. Both brothers also invested in Ferrograph, as mentioned above, (High quality tape Recorders, Tape Decks and wireless components ) in the 1950s, eventually buying the firm outright (along with Rendar Components) in the late 1960s. It would appear that while the companies concerned all remained largely autonomous, there was an occasional cross over. For example there has been the odd story of small production runs of Wilmot Breedon car components undertaken in the Ferrograph factory (unconfirmed) and development work carried out for Wilmot Breedon by Wayne Kerr (confirmed). Does anyone remember this connection between the various concerns or have any stories to tell about the brothers? Wilmot Breedon finally sold off all these firms back in 1977 after heavy losses. None of the mentioned names now survive in British hands Accept Ferrograph whose name lives on in signage!
Terry Martini
Look up book by Peter Weston " On virtually every British car" gives a good insight of Wilmot & Breedon

My dad Frederick leek worked at wilmotts on the bumpers ,he would often take me to the park which was owned by wilmotts ,he lived in hay mills

My dad played cricket for Wilmot Breeden in the late 60s and 70s. He was a good player with an enchanting personality. When I was small, I recall Dad sporting a large winning cup with a big smile. He was a fast bowler, and his name was Ernest Fraser, also known as Ernie. He was friends with a very nice man named Frank Tye. Every Saturday, I would watch Dad play at the home cricket ground in Solihull near the airport—great team and club. His cricket ball sits on my office desk in NYC.

My dad played cricket for Wilmot Breeden in the late 60s and 70s. He was a good player with an enchanting personality. When I was small, I recall Dad sporting a large winning cup with a big smile. He was a fast bowler, and his name was Ernest Fraser, also known as Ernie. He was friends with a very nice man named Frank Tye. Every Saturday, I would watch Dad play at the home cricket ground in Solihull near the airport—great team and club. His cricket ball sits on my office desk in NYC.
Welcome to The Forum!
That is a very nice story about your Dad, you obviously had an excellent relationship! On a different matter, I used to work in NYC, now I’m in Gods country :)

I, too played for WB in 1960's, and I do remember Frank Tye. Another two names that I recall were Eme and Cleo McCollin. Some members of the team went on a trip to West Indies, I think to St Kitts, but that may not be right. Strangely my two grand sons and their mom have just had a week's holiday in NYC!

My, mate used to live in Durley Road and his Dad worked at WB on Amington Road, I can remember the factory taking the majority of Amington Road from the Speedwell pub all the way down to virtually Redhill Road.
As an apprentice electrician we installed busbars and cables throughout the factory I can remember making my way through the girders some 50 feet off the ground , the girders varied from 6 inch to 12 inch in width so manoeuvring in and out of them was not an issue to a 16 year old , doubt if I could do it now.

Please to meet you, sir. Yes, the team trip you mentioned went to St Kitt's to play cricket. Ernie was a fast bowler.
Great memories. I remember Cleo McCollin - an excellent player. Wilmot Breeden's cricket players were good sportsmen and a team of fine gentlemen. If I'm not mistaken, I think Dad was the captain for a while; I could be wrong. We lived in Shirley, Solihull, so it was a quick ride to the home ground, even on my chopper bike after my newspaper round. :) Hopefully, your family didn't get caught up in the Canadian forest fire when smoke plummed NYC. I just learned about Mr. Carl Breeden. I'm pleased to know my father represented and supported the game Mr. Breeden loved. I tip my hat to him and the WB team.

2016-08-01 083234-318110.jpg

Welcome to The Forum!
That is a very nice story about your Dad, you obviously had an excellent relationship! On a different matter, I used to work in NYC, now I’m in Gods country :)
Thank you very much, sir. Yes, I was very close to my Dad. I still am actually. I have a photo of him on my desk and a cricket ball that I enjoy leaning back in my chair and tossing while in deep thought. God's country is not a bad place to be sir, given the craziness we are all dealing with these days. :) Especially in NYC.

I, too played for WB in 1960's, and I do remember Frank Tye. Another two names that I recall were Eme and Cleo McCollin. Some members of the team went on a trip to West Indies, I think to St Kitts, but that may not be right. Strangely my two grand sons and their mom have just had a week's holiday in NYC!
I forgot to mention. Ernie was a welder for Wilmot Breeden.

View attachment 95361
WB 2nd XI 1962
Sports played a big part in the social life at WB. In these austere times it easy to forget the investment made by the company in those days to enhance our lot. There was a full time social secretary in HR(personnel)and a couple of groundsmen at the Sports Ground at Elmdon, which had a fishing lake, two cricket squares, two or three soccer pitches. There would be fireworks and a bonfire on November 5th. At Tyseley there was a dance hall which held some 400, and who can forget the annual Miss Wilmot competition, so non-PC!

Thank you very much, sir. Yes, I was very close to my Dad. I still am actually. I have a photo of him on my desk and a cricket ball that I enjoy leaning back in my chair and tossing while in deep thought. God's country is not a bad place to be sir, given the craziness we are all dealing with these days. :) Especially in NYC.
I played cricket with Ernie. I joined Wilmot Breeden in 1966 and played with the first team when I was 17. It was full of all rounders and I was in the side mainly as a fielder. Ernie always had time to help people like me and I always remember him smiling. I knew that at some stage perhaps late 60s him going to live in the US.

I played cricket with Ernie. I joined Wilmot Breeden in 1966 and played with the first team when I was 17. It was full of all rounders and I was in the side mainly as a fielder. Ernie always had time to help people like me and I always remember him smiling. I knew that at some stage perhaps late 60s him going to live in the US.
Hi John Trow, remember you being at WB. Can it really be 50+ years since I worked there!

looking for some help got an old steering wheel made at wilmot breeden would like to no what car it was made for the number inside the is 7,2695,5

looking for some help got an old steering wheel made at wilmot breeden would like to no what car it was made for the number inside the is 7,2695,5
You MAY be able to find an answer to your query from Weston Body Hardware in Redditch, they held records of WB parts when they closed down, but that was nigh on fifty years ago.

Hello John, Thank you for your kind words. His dreams came to fruition, and he never stopped smiling. I'm sure I watched you play while sitting around the sideline. I would admit I really enjoyed the clubhouse. I wish you all the best, sir.

Back