• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Street...Lozells

susan just read on the other thread about you getting a clip round the ear ole from your mom...if our mom knew half of what we used to get up to we would have been grounded forever lol...was never anything really bad just kids being kids but some of the stuff we did was quite dangerous thinking back....i was always a tom boy.hence being sent home from school with a dirty neck..forgot to have a wash on the night and i always hung around in the boys gang..hated wearing dresses or skirts...to stay in their gang whatever dares they did i had to do....happy days.. eldest of 6 children so we never had much..tough for our mom and dad but would not change my childhood one little bit

lyn

Last edited:
Oh Lyn you have made me laugh with your dirty kneck but they were happy days no drugs or drink problems I have a 9 year old grandson and dont know what its going to be like when he hits his teens im an only one so my mom keep a close eye on me but didnt do me any harm.i look after her now as her eye sight is going and shes a good mom

Oh Lyn you have made me laugh with your dirty kneck but they were happy days no drugs or drink problems I have a 9 year old grandson and dont know what its going to be like when he hits his teens im an only one so my mom keep a close eye on me but didnt do me any harm.i look after her now as her eye sight is going and shes a good mom

well it wasnt my fault susan...i was out with the gang the night before garden hopping and got quite dirty..got up late forgot to wash and as i said hauled into the office lol...as you say they were carefree happy days back then...your moms sounds lovely susan and now as you say its your turn to look after her..like i said if you want to print off those photos and your mom is able to see them ok please do so...i am also going to rack me brains over the next day or so for other memories of lozells girls and i will post them on that thread...

Last edited:
Ok thanks Lyn will have a think as well I think mom still has some of my reports from lozells girls will have a look when im at moms

ok rosie...ive no school reports im afraid would love to see any you have if you can post them on the school thead as it should give us the names of our teachers...its times like this i wish i had taken more care of things...been smashing talking to you after all these years...take care

lyn

its a great history forum susan keeps me out of trouble lol...talk soon...

and welcome to the forum to you sarah..glad you liked the photos. as your family lived at no 56 maybe they knew susans family at no 43

i also attended alma st infants but only until i was about 6 then we moved to villa st and i then went to farm st school

crikey susan it looks as though we were both at alma st at the same time as well..

lyn

To be honest my memory of names not very good, we lived at 56, for about 2 years but I remember the houses when they would be come empty, we would gather up all the mattresses pile them up climb up a high wall or go up stairs of an empty house jump off or out of the windows loads of kids would be doing it, at the same time bull dozers would be knocking the houses down, we also made go-carts out of long wooden beer cases, we left 1967 to pype hayes,

To be honest my memory of names not very good, we lived at 56, for about 2 years but I remember the houses when they would be come empty, we would gather up all the mattresses pile them up climb up a high wall or go up stairs of an empty house jump off or out of the windows loads of kids would be doing it, at the same time bull dozers would be knocking the houses down, we also made go-carts out of long wooden beer cases, we left 1967 to pype hayes,

sarah you have just bought to mind that when the coast was clear in my friends house (ie mom and dad at the pub on a friday night) we took a mattress off the bed in the attic lay on it and bumped all the way down the stairs to the landing..down another flight of stairs ending up the hall....happy days...

lyn

lyn

I was born at 2/124 Williams St in 1948. The house with the dilapidated shed in the last but one picture looks like our house but oh it was all a lot cleaner and tidier then.

Hello I went to Alma Street from when I started school probably about 1953 until leaving in 1959 to go to Holte Grammar in Whitehead Road. Mr Hincliffe was the Head teacher - I think!

Hi,
I'm new to this web site but I thought you might like some info. I want to find out some more about my heritage as well.
I was born in 1959 in Erdington, I'm a working class Brummie and proud if it.
Back to William Street, I haven't got dates as yet but it might interest you to know that my great grandmother, maternal, used to be land lady of the Gough Arms, with a man named Hemming or Hemming. My Grandmother's maiden name was Mills.

welcome to the forum spyke and thanks for that bit of your family history..if memory serves me right if you look at the william st photos i posted there is just a hint of the gough arms in one of them

lyn

Yes I spotted the pub with with a lorry, might have been a delivery. My mom found it all interesting. She used to work in some of the pubs, the Rose and Crown in Erdington among them, she also worked with her Mom at Dunlop and my Nan used to sing around some of the pubs and at the Hippodrome in Brum I think. I've got to sit down with her and record all her memories before they're lost. My Dad passed away in February and I've missed out on all that.
Enough of my Working.

unfortunately thanks to photobucket we have lost all of the photos i posted of william st...i will try and repost them all either late tonight or tomorrow

lyn

Back in the 1950's I lived at 244 Frederick Road. It was the house next to Prince Albert school.
Can anyone help with old photos of this house as it was demolished along with the connecting 3 houses to make way for the schools expansion?
My memories of this time include attending the infants school and running to the corner shop for a Dairy Maid ice cream wafer. Daft,I know, but the image is so clear in my mind, and I'd love to find photos of this shop as well. The Google images suggest it was converted back into a house.
While on the subject of corner shops; I also lived at 36 William Street in the 1950. Opposite was another corner shop where I would go to run errands. Has anyone got any photos? (Especially as my mom cannot remember there being a corner shop and I'm wondering if I've imagined it!)
And finally there was the walk to school from William Street to Prince Albert school.
This took me across the building site that was Six Ways Lozells as it was being developed. I'd do this journey by myself aged about 6. Amazing to think this was acceptable back then.

Welcome Joy. Lovely memories, thanks for posting them. Hopefully members can turn up some photos for you. There were photos on this thread, but unfortunately these were lost when the site was hacked a few years back.

If anyone has copies of the lost photos please let us know. Many thanks. Viv.

morning viv... i am already on the case:D luckily i have all of the missing photos so will post them after ive had another cuppa...not fully awake yet:rolleyes:

Last edited:
hi joy as promised i am reposting the lost pics.i think in those days there was a corner shop on most corners...before i post the main bulk of them take a look at this one to see if it stirs any memories for you or your mom as the caption says its showing numbers 33 to 69.....i would think that number 33 is the corner shop (all boarded up now ready for demo) so it could be the one that you said was opposite your house which was no 36...all of these photos are dated 1967/8..oh could you tell me exactly where prince albert school was as i have never heard of it ..just click on the photos to enlarge themWilliam Street No 33-69 - Gerrard Street Newtown 4-3-1968.jpg

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn
Here is c1951 map showing 244 in blue and (what is presumably) Prince albert School in red.

map c1951 showing 244 frederick road and pronce albert school.jpg

thanks mike its a nice one on me....mike when you have time could we have a map please showing where number 36 william st was...cheers mike

lyn

Back