• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

William Street City Centre

This modern building is now on William Street near Bishopgate Street.

This concrete building has now been demolished.

The same site but seen a few weeks ago from Communication Row / Holliday Street.

The same site but seen a few weeks ago from Communication Row / Holliday Street.

I lived in one of the flats owned by Trident Housing Association from 1996 until I retired from work in 2005. For me it was ideal, within walking distance of my work in Newhall St.
Have happy memories of walking down Broad St, through Centenary Square & Paradise Forum,
Probably totally unrecognisable now.

Two views of William Street.
Pic 1 is a part of the photo seen in post#1 taken by an unknown photographer on an unknown date but looks c1900.
WilliamStEarly.jpg

Pic 2 was taken by Phyllis Nicklin in 1935 during Silver Jubilee Celebrations for King George and Queen Mary. Almost no decorations on the White Horse inn.
WilliamSt1935.jpg

Last edited:
great photo taken by phyllis phil..never seen it before and i didnt realise she was taking photos at such a young age

lyn

great photo taken by phyllis phil..never seen it before and i didnt realise she was taking photos at such a young age
lyn
Hi Lyn, it seems that Phyllis Nicklin was walking around the city centre with her camera during the celebrations and took this very nice pic below. I suppose she would have been 30 years old at the time.
Phil
In May 1935 Phyllis Nicklin stood on the pavement opposite the Council House, held her camera high above the crowd and took this picture on the occasion of the Silver Jubilee Celebrations for King George and Queen Mary.
index.php

what a legacy she left us alan...she would have been 26 when she took that photo

lyn

what a legacy she left us alan...she would have been 26 when she took that photo

lyn
I think you might have meant Phil, Lyn. Either way (or should it be any road up on BHF) it is a fantastic work of art by the late lady and it it quite significant how so many posts on BHF have referenced her prestigious work.

Wow..so amazing to see what William Street looked like many years ago for two reasons...

1. I had family who lived on this road from the 1930's until the 1970's I think.
2. I now live in Sandy Way (cul-de-sac in between William Street/Tennant Street) and I often walk down William Street and looks nothing like it did then.

An aerial view of William Street dated 1935. To enlarge it, click it and then click the magnifying glass icon and scroll it.
xWilliamSt 1935.jpg
source 'britainfromabove'

Last edited:
Two views of William Street.
Pic 1 is a part of the photo seen in post#1 taken by an unknown photographer on an unknown date but looks c1900.
View attachment 130342

Pic 2 was taken by Phyllis Nicklin in 1935 during Silver Jubilee Celebrations for King George and Queen Mary. Almost no decorations on the White Horse inn.
View attachment 130343

OMthe pub of course is The White Horse , I went in there a few times as a kid for crisps etc , the entrance was the door just behind those two men. You had to wait until a member of the bar staff lifted the pull up/down window to get served , the shop next door was owned by Mrs Shephard and her son Frank, he drove a white Ford Consul convertible if he was in a good mood on Sunday dinnertime just prior to closing he'd give you a spin in it

I think this image is of William Street possibly near the bottom where it joins Islington Row. Unable to find any reference to 'G. E. Griffin' who dealt in dog food and fishing tackle probably around 1900. Nice ghost sign though, sadly now gone.

EDITED 9/10/2023: This has image has been identified as William Street Lozells, my thanks to Dionysius and Astoness

Attachments

• William Street 12-7-1967 a.jpg
    William Street 12-7-1967 a.jpg
    969.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I lived a 5/9 William st, 1951 to 1959 as a child with my brothers and sister. Dad used the kings arms pub.
Times were hard for my mother. using the wash house on Mondays with the other women. But for me…happy memories.

Wow..so amazing to see what William Street looked like many years ago for two reasons...

1. I had family who lived on this road from the 1930's until the 1970's I think.
2. I now live in Sandy Way (cul-de-sac in between William Street/Tennant Street) and I often walk down William Street and looks nothing like it did then.
we lived at 5/9 William st from 1950-1959. Surname “Young”. My dad used the kings arms pub. Happy memories

Ell compliments on the quality of the pics , pity I couldn't say the same about the area I used to know oh so well . what a travesty

I think this image is of William Street possibly near the bottom where it joins Islington Row. Unable to find any reference to 'G. E. Griffin' who dealt in dog food and fishing tackle probably around 1900. Nice ghost sign though, sadly now gone.
Brummy Lad I don't think that was the William St in City centre there was never a shoe hospiatl as long as I was there mid 50's late 60's

EDITED 9/10/2023: This has image has been identified as William Street Lozells, my thanks to Dionysius and Astoness
Love the fact the cobblers was referred to as the Shoe hospital, took many a pair of shoes to the shoe surgeon in the past!

Back