• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

William Powell's Gunmakers Shop, Carrs Lane

I think it’s grade II listed. I hope the developers get a move on though, as there are young trees growing in the guttering.

This is the description of the work
Listed building consent for works to form 2 no. retail units (Use Class E) at ground floor and creation of 13 no. apartments (Use Class C3) including extension and repair to roof, repair and replacement doors and windows, associated internal works and replacement shop front

If you go to the Council Planning site

and enter 2022/06692/PA as the application number you can access the planning documents for which consent was given in Aug 2022. The bit I found interesting but sad was on the second page of documents and the very last item. (it is a pdf file) Contains photos of the inside of the building. There are other files which show the outside of the building and one is a heritage report.
There are a couple of other linked applications but this seems to be the main set.

I am not posting a link as in the past they have not worked properly for the planning site.

Thank you for that, Janice. The interior looks to be in a sorry state, but, you know, I would love to go in and have a look around!

I suspect parts are not safe. The decision document uses the phrase "For avoidance of doubt" when referring to replacement works to be undertaken. I took this as meanint "to be on the safe side" things were to be replaced.

Listed building consent for works to form 2 no. retail units (Use Class E) at ground floor and creation of 13 no. apartments (Use Class C3) including extension and repair to roof, repair and replacement doors and windows, associated internal works and replacement shop front

and enter 2022/06692/PA as the application number you can access the planning documents for which consent was given in Aug 2022. The bit I found interesting but sad was on the second page of documents and the very last item. (it is a pdf file) Contains photos of the inside of the building. There are other files which show the outside of the building and one is a heritage report.
There are a couple of other linked applications but this seems to be the main set.

I am not posting a link as in the past they have not worked properly for the planning site.
Thanks for the application number Janice. Sorry state now. The earlier heritage report was interesting. I have often stood near this building waiting for a bus home from town. I just thought it was a retail business. The plan of the basement shows the railway tunnel going underneath.

Attachments

• IMG_0474.jpeg
    IMG_0474.jpeg
    445 KB · Views: 19
This drawing is from the MADE website. The drawing shows the many architectural features of the building. It also has little pencil sketches alongside, possibly to highlight features and/or changes. And it shows William Powell's signature. A very nice piece of Powell history. Viv.

Screenshot_20230531_111319_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230608_065147_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230608_065147_Maps.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 7
I was in Albert Street today and, thanks to some recent Dale End demolition, was able to see the rear view of the Powell’s building in all its glory. The forest growing on the roof is quite impressive, and the open window in the rear roof will be great for letting in the rain and the pigeons.

A few years ago when the business closed, the Sunday Times covered this property sale with an extensive article, “property if the week“, or similar. I recall seeing internal photographs. I kept the article but can’t find it at the moment, which is the story of my life.

When I started my first job aged 16 I saved up for a nice air rifle and bought a Webley Tracker from Powells. I soon found out there was nowhere to use it (only shooting paper targets) without people having kittens so it sat unused for a few years until I sold it. Incidentally, I recall another gun shop near to the Evening Mail building years ago…can anyone remember what it was called?

I was in Albert Street today and, thanks to some recent Dale End demolition, was able to see the rear view of the Powell’s building in all its glory. The forest growing on the roof is quite impressive, and the open window in the rear roof will be great for letting in the rain and the pigeons.

A few years ago when the business closed, the Sunday Times covered this property sale with an extensive article, “property if the week“, or similar. I recall seeing internal photographs. I kept the article but can’t find it at the moment, which is the story of my life.
If you go to post no 33 on this thread for planning application details then look at the heritage report there are extensive photos of internal features of the building.

Interesting Pictures, it is sad that the internal building has deteriorated this much.

When I started my first job aged 16 I saved up for a nice air rifle and bought a Webley Tracker from Powells. I soon found out there was nowhere to use it (only shooting paper targets) without people having kittens so it sat unused for a few years until I sold it. Incidentally, I recall another gun shop near to the Evening Mail building years ago…can anyone remember what it was called?
That would be George Bate Ltd. I bought a shotgun from them around 1970.

Steve.

see also a interesting thread

If it was in a bad state when planning consent was given in Aug 2022 you wonder why they didn't start work quickly. (I could make a guess).

Back