• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

william earp b1868

diane hodges

master brummie
trying to find a william earp b1868 in birmingham couldnt find him in the 1901 census ,were was he? he was my grandfather and my grandmother was susan earp nee gilbert she show as been in birmingham in 1901 census . there daughter clarace ( my mother) iwas born in1902 in staveley darbyshire and so were her two brothers ,1866 and 1900 any help out there di p.s he was a weighing machine fitter

My grangmother Phyllis Ellen Elliott born 1883 married Harry Ebeneezer Earp 1908 he was killed in WW1 name on Helles Memorial my mother born 1918 gives her father as William Earp I have one on 1911 census aged 26 but think he was also killed in the wasr late 1917. They lived in central Birmingham in back to backs around Claybrook St.

I think this is him in 1911 due to occupation, but can't find him in 1901 - yet, but will keep looking - bewdley

1911 census transcription details for: Rowton House, ROWTON HOUSE

National Archive Reference:
RG14PN18189 RD385 SD1 ED42 SN9999
Reg. District: Aston
Sub District: Deritend
Parish: Aston
Enum. District: 42
Address: Alcester St Birmingham
County:
Warwickshire
EARP, William; Lodger; Widower; Male; 43' born 1868 Birmingham ; Fitter weighing machine

Last edited by a moderator:
Census timeline.
1841 Ebeneezer Earp aged 1
1851 " " 11
1861 " " 21 Engraver
1871 Family there but not Ebeneezer
1881 Harry E Earp with family including Ebeneezer 42 and Harry E Earp aged 4
1891 No sign of any of them
1901 Ebeneezer aged 61 music teacher with wife and family but no Harry E as he was 24 could have been away in the army.
1911 Harry with grandma Phyllis and children
1911 Nellie Earp with brother William Ebeneezers children
It was the National Trust Back to Baks that re-kindled my interest in the Birmingham family. Mom was born in Claybrook St and I was born at my grandmothers palce in Hirstcroft road South Yardely. What a long time ago but the stories mom told me came to life once I had read the booklet and saw the pictures of the back to backs. I now live in New Zealan and have been here for almost 40 years longer than in the Uk, if I manage to get back again I will go and stay in the rental cottages.

Would this be the family in 1891?
1891 at 149, Victoria Road, Aston, Aston Manor
Ebenezer Earp aged 57 born 1834 Birmingham, Teacher Of Music
Mary Earp Wife aged 48 born 1843 Birmingham,
Marrian E Earp Daughter aged 25 born 1866 Aston
Bertha E Earp Daughter aged 23 born 1868 Aston,Embroidress
Nellie R Earp Daughter aged 18 born 1873 Aston, Draper Assistant
Annie L Earp Daughter aged 16 born 1875 Aston,Machanist
Harvey E Earp Son aged 14 born 1877 Aston,Office Boy
Frank W Earp Son aged 12 born 1879 Aston,Office Boy
Edith M Earp Daughter aged 8 born 1883 Aston
Jessie G Earp Daughter aged 6 born 1885 Aston

Lady Linda has come up trumps with the 1891 census for you and I have found some more info which could fit - couldn’t sleep at all last night so this kept me quiet, off to walk the dog now, hope it helps.

Census timeline.
1841 Ebeneezer Earp aged 1
1851 " " 11
1861 " " 21 Engraver
1871 Family there but not Ebeneezer

1871 census transcription details for: Carpenter Road, Aston
EARP, Ebenezer; Head; Male; 40 born 1831 arwickshire; engraver
EARP, Mary, wife Female; 38; born 1833 Warwickshire
EARP, Mary E; Daughter; Female; 16 born 1855 Warwickshire
EARP, Marina E; Daughter; Female; 14 born 1857 WarwickshireEARP, Bertha E; Daughter; Female; 9; born 1862 Warwickshire
EARP, Philiph T; Son; Male;7 born 1864 Warwickshire

1881 Harry E Earp with family including Ebeneezer 42 and Harry E Earp aged 4

William and Frances Earp are living with other families in 1891 and both surnames has been mistranscribed on census.

1891 census transcription details for: 26, Bowling Green Street, St Mary, Warwick
HOPKINS, Shadrach;Head; Married Male; 35 ; born 1856 Alcester Warwickshire ;Hawker
HOPKINS, Mary; Wife; Married ; Female; 34 born 1857 Banbury Warwickshire
CARK, William; Male; 6; born 1885 Birmingham ; Scholar
WITTINGHAM, Albert; Nephew; Male; 6 ; born 1885 alcester Warwickshire; Scholar

1891 census transcription details for: 20, Bedford Street, Leamington Priors, Leamington

ELKINGTON, Charles; Head; Married;Male; 29 born 1862 Leamington, Warwickshire; Groom Domestic Servant[/TD]
ELKINGTON, Emma; wife; Married female ; 28; born 1863 Banbury, Oxfordshire; House Keeper
EARK, Frances; Niece; Female; 4; born 1887 Birmingham, Warwickshire
SWIMM, Frances; Lodger;Married; Male;90; born 1801 Ionion Islands; Tripe Dresser
MASON, Emma;Lodger; Single; Female;70; born 1821 Stratford on Avon, Warwickshire

1901 Ebeneezer aged 61 music teacher with wife and family but no Harry E as he was 24 could have been away in the army.
1901 census transcription details for: Ramillies Barracks & Adjoining Buildings, North Camp, Farnborough, Hampshire

EARP, Harry; Single; M; 24; born 1877 Birmingham, Warwickshire; Private Infantry

I’ve found a probate record for Ebenezer in 1906 and have transcribed it for you in case you don’t already have it:
Ebenezer Earp of 35 Ettington Road, Aston, Warwickshire died 30 July 1906 Administration Birmingham 5 September to Frederick William Earp toolmaker Effects £41.3s.9d.

1911 Harry with grandma Phyllis and children
1911 Nellie Earp with brother William Ebeneezers children

Armed Forces registration event: Death
Name:
EARP, Harry Ebenezer
Unit:
Worcestershire Regiment
Lance / Sergeant
Number:
Year:
Volume:I.55
Page:
Record source:
GRO War Death Army Other Ranks (1914 to 1921)

Harry’s army records are on Ancestry

If your mum was born on 11 Jan 1918 then William born 1885 could be her father, but I haven’t found his death or army record.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, wow thanks for all that it is interesting because the 1911 census also had the Earp name mispelled. Because I am not sure who was my mothers father is I haven't obtained any certificates as it will of course be a guess as there is no name on her birth certificates. My main hope is that we can tie in William somehow, the story was he was killed 2 weeks before the Armistice was signed.

Perhaps you can also help with grandma Phyllis Ellen Earp nee Elliott, the story was she was left as a foundling on church steps however a cousin who knew her came up with her birth certificate born 1993 to John & Phyllis Ann. I have the death of Phylli Ann Elliott 1889 so grandma wouldhave been only 6 and am wondering if she in fact went into an ophanage. I haven't been able to find any of the Elliott's.

In 1891 there is a Phyllis Elliott born 1884 a pauper living in the Cottage homes Marston Green, later to become Chelmsley hospital.
enumeration district Coleshill.

Birth registered June 1883 name on registration PHILLIS ELLEN Elliott.

Last edited:
Hello

1891 Coleshill Warwickshire Piece 2440 folio 134 page 5

Cottage Homes for Pauper children from the Birmingham Workhouse

Phyllis Elliot scholar age 7 born Birmingham Warwickshire

Pam

1901 Tower street, Phyllis E Elliott a boarder age 20 born Leeds yorks.
Records have no Phyllis E Elliott born around that time in Leeds yorks.

Hi, I know she was born in Birmingham, June 1883 but the one on the 1901 was a boarder and the person who gave the enumerator the info
may not have got their facts correct, this happened quite often when they were giving details of people who were not family.
There is no entry on birth records for a Phyllis E Elliott born in Yorkshire between 1880-1890 so I assumed that it may be your Phyllis.
This one is a lamp polisher so if you obtain her marriage certificate to John Ernest Reeves which was a few weeks after the 1901 census it may verify if it is your Phyllis.

there was an earp whom was running a bussness in sprig hill passage next to price stainles steel and silver smithsof cutlery in spring hill passage birmingham 18 many years ago i am just trying to recall his trade ;manufacturing some think as i recal in the late 1800sto the early 190os
also up the road from spring hill pasage which is spring hill virualy next to th school entrance in spring hill passage
as you walk up the passage way you come into king edwrds rd ladywood birminham 18 where you met stour street and the next stret to that was spring field street where upon there was an earp family living in the early 1900s copuld there be a connection there after all earp is not a popular name
so its worth a punt to cross check on this trade of earps manufacting bussiness for pring hill passage and springfield st for this period may be and may be not a connection ; to your family tree best wishes Astonian;

Thomas Earp 26 Harfors St shown as a chaser 1841 census says chaser/engraver, he is one of my Earps.
There is also a Joseph Pearl Button maker Upper Tower St however I don't have him in my tree but mom used to say she had an uncle that was a button maker although a cousin says a jeweler.
There is also a Groves Earp button maker but haven't seen that name before.

hi for some reason i think the earps bussiness was making lamps which was right next door to prices the cutlery makers world wide
around the time i knew of the earps living in springfield street ; still if anybody as got any trade directories for that and around the period of the 1900s
it may or not give the names of earps in spring hill passage of what trade there was next to prices the cutler manufact;
i missed afew weeks back down in bromsgrove at a charity shop of an old orinional box of silver cutler made by prices of springhill passage
all orinianal box and mint condition ; obvisously not been used by the time i went back to the shop they had been sold . i thought it was a real gem
and somethink for me as nostalagia as a kid i livedabout 300 yards from there premises where most of the neibours worked there from around the local streets when i was a little nipper ; have a good day every body best wishes Astonian;

There are a few Groves Earp's on Ancestry it could be a family name. There are several trees with the name in also.

I first researched Harry Ebebeezer and traced him right back to Thomas 1841census but when I discovered he couldn't be moms father I didn't look at other members of the family so yes there could be a Groves in the extended family. I probably will never know for sure if William is her father but if they release the 1921census early it could show who Phyllis was living with. She gave her occupation on moms birth certificate as housekeeper now did she mean it literally or was it what they said if they were living alone. She was quite a lady orphaned at age 6 had 7 children her eldest child died in childbirth so brought her boy up as well, married 4 times and survived them all, she died aged 69. Quite a feat for someone who lived most if her life in the back to backs, wish I could have remembered her but only met her a few times when I was quite young as we were living in Wolverhampton

Hi, can you give me the names of the people she was boarding with please as she doesn't come up for me when I use her name.

Thanks

Hello

John Bournabet age 36 bricklayer born Crewe Cheshire looks like Bowwater on census 1891 has them as John R Bowater with another dau Matilda
Emma wife age 35 Birmingham
Charles H son age 13 "'
John son age 6 "'
Joseph son age 7 "'
Ellen dau age 5 ''
Sarah A dau age 1 ''
Phyllis E Elliott age 20 born Leeds Yorkshire boader lamp? cleaner

Pam

John Richard Bowater married Emma Roberts

Hi, still looking for William Earp born 1885 on 1911 census with sister Nellie. Looking through some old info from mom she indicates that he probably had a factory making needles later she said buttons. Cousins say one of the Earps certainly had a factory but thought it was more to do with the jewelry as they were engravers. The other part of the story was that one of them with a factory emigrated to USA could this have been William as he has disappeared from all searches except USA.

Hi, still looking for William Earp born 1885 on 1911 census with sister Nellie. Looking through some old info from mom she indicates that he probably had a factory making needles later she said buttons. Cousins say one of the Earps certainly had a factory but thought it was more to do with the jewelry as they were engravers. The other part of the story was that one of them with a factory emigrated to USA could this have been William as he has disappeared from all searches except USA.

hi poihipi would this be william and sister nellie on the 1911 also with sister frances...
address...257 park road bearwood birmingham

head of house nellie earp aged 37...single.
brother william earp...aged 26..engineering turner..
sister frances earp...aged 24...merchants clerk..
francis herbert gibson ..aged 23...slag works clerk....

when i have time today i will have a look at the e rolls for you...do you know if nellie or sister frances married...

lyn

Back