• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Currall of Stretton on Dunsmore

W

Wendy

Here's another interesting headstone with I expect some history behind it!:)

Wendy ,that is a very beautiful headstone but I wonder who in Williams family had it erected.
He was not a man of wealth.
1841 Stretton
William Currall age 36 Agricultural labourer
Alice 36 wife
Jane 8
Joseph 6
Kezia 3
Samuel 5 months

1851 London road,Stretton
William currall age 47 labourer
Joseph 16 Stoker in saw mill
Kezia 14
Samuel 10

1861 William is a servant on a farm in Wilston age 56

the only William Currall that is anywhere near his age in 1871 is in Western road workhouse
age 65 a Groom,says unmarried and b. Birmingham but workhouse records are not very accurate.

His death record in 1879 shows him to be 75.

Just looked up his children and they appear to have 'done well for themselves'
Joseph is a Contractor and Farmer living in Damson Lane ,Solihull and Samuel a Carpenter and joiner living in Reading in Berkshire in 1881.

Wendy
And in 1892. Joseph is still a contractor & farmer, but is now living in Damson Lane,in Elmdon, coming next to Dunston Hall on the enumerators round. I would guess his contractors firm was :
Currall & Lewis, contractors & paviors, 333 Icknield Port road & Johnstone street, Ladywood, so he seems quite well off.
Mike

What a lovely headstone! It is very big and the inscription is all at the top - If they were wealthy I wonder if the 'children' paid for a family grave and more people were expected to go in there. might be interesting to find out how deep it is?
Polly

Well how interesting I didn't expect a result like that. William must have been buried by his children and again I would think in Key Hill due to his religion. All this information is brilliant in cataloguing who is buried at the cemetery. What a brilliant lot you are!!

Alice may have died earlier when they were not so well off or she may be buried with her family.

What brilliant detective work by Alberta and mikejee! To my knowledge this is the second photograph you have published Wendy and been able, throught the experts on here to find so much fascinating information about the inhabitants of the grave. I look forward to the next interesting photograph in thre series.....smiling. I often visit the cemetery,one day we will collide. Take care.

Absolutely brilliant Wendy! Just goes to show what can be unearthed in a short time by a few people!

The family obviously made good - So which headstone next ? ? ? ? ?

What brilliant detective work by Alberta and mikejee! To my knowledge this is the second photograph you have published Wendy and been able, throught the experts on here to find so much fascinating information about the inhabitants of the grave. I look forward to the next interesting photograph in thre series.....smiling. I often visit the cemetery,one day we will collide. Take care.
John this is the third one I have posted and the info is brilliant. I have put it all in a folder for the Key Hill archives. John I know you love visiting the place as well. I also have the information you gave me in my own file fasinating! I hope we do 'colide' there one day......:D

I will post some more if it's ok with everyone as I don't want to be a pest.

Keep them coming Wendy, I find the provenance of grave residents absolutely fascinating. For me this has to be the most interesting thread on the forum.
The expertise of Alberta, mikegee and others in their detective work is amazing, I would not have a clue where to start!
Those that could afford large memorials were generaly wealthy and throughout their lives often left audit trails that the skilled can tease out of records. Wouldnt it be fascinating to take a single name from a public grave and be able to research that. Now that would be a challenge.

Great idea John I will sort that one out........I think we are like minded on this subject. The people who have helped me have been amazing all the information is saved in hard copy as well.

I love these memorial mystery threads aswell -It is so interesting to find out about the people who lived (and died) in Birmingham in the past - please keep them coming Wendy. :)

Hi, I've joined the forum today! Is it possible for me to see an image of the William and Alice Currall headstone? William is a distant relative of mine (1st cousin 4x removed?).

Back