• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

William Ashforth, Broker

S

sh

I'm wondering if you could provide info on the Subject Title.

William Ashforth lived in Edgbaston, in Spring Field Cottage with his wife, Keturah, and 6 children. I believe he died in 1850.

Possibly, there is more data out there on him.

Please advise, and thanks, sh:)

Last edited by a moderator:
On the 1851 census Keturah is listed.

Head: ASHFORTH, Keturah Neighbors 235515
Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace
Keturah ASHFORTH Head W 55 F Proprietor of Houses Edington-WAR
Caroline ELLIS --- U 14 F Companion Aston-WAR
Address: Spring Street, ---
Census Place: Edgbaston Kings Norton, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2049 Folio: 131 Page: 34 FHL Film: 0087459

Keturah mistranscribed Heginton
baptised 10th Feb 1793 Aston Juxta parents Joseph and Sarah

William Ashforth baptised 31st December 1794 age 1 Aston Juxta
parents Thomas and Ann
other children of Thomas and Ann baptised Aston Juxta
Ann 1792
Mary 1796
James 1802
Sarah 1806
Phebe 1809
Joseph 1811

:angel: I know you may already have this Sh, however it could help bring in more info' for you from other members.

1841 Census

5 Records found
Piece: HO107/1151/1 Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire Enumeration District: 3
Civil Parish: Edgbaston Ecclesiastical Parish: -
Folio: 42 Page: 9
Address: Spring Field Cottage

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
ASHFORTH Willm M 45 Broker Outside Census County (1841)
ASHFORTH Keturah F 45 Warwickshire
ASHFORTH Charles M 20 Warwickshire
ASHFORTH Sarah F 20 Outside Census County (1841)
ASHFORTH Robert M 5m Outside Census County (1841)

Last edited:
Birth and parents of Wm. Ashforth

parents Thomas and Ann
Ann 1792
Mary 1796
James 1802
Sarah 1806
Phebe 1809
Joseph 1811

Alberta -

This is exactly what I was looking for! I longed to know the names of Wm's parents - and his siblings!

Is there any way we can learn the profession of Wm.'s father, Thomas?

And, can we learn if Thomas was in any way from Sheffield? There's just got to be a way!

I'm thrilled. sh

Wm. Ashforth, Charles, Thomas, etc.

Yes, I found this information in a 1841 Census (HO107/1151/1).

AND, I'm pleased to inform that Charles is Wm. and Keturah's son; Sarah (Steedman - according to Charles' marriage record, but "Stedman" according to his son's death certificate (Connecticut, USA) is Charles' Wife, and Robert (Should be Robert T.) is my great grandfather.

Amazing, isn't it? I started some 2 years ago, and I'm finally getting the last records I've searched for for so long.

THANKS to all of you for all of your assistance.

This is so good to know.

Blessings, sh

By the way, Rober Thomas Ashforth (age 5 months, above) moved on to Aston; he was a master silversmith, journeyman. He and his wife (Ann Williams) and several children (they had 7) migrated to the USA, Meridan Connecticut around 1883. Their son, Thomas Williams Ashforth was my mother's father.

wrightsons 1839

there are a couple of Ashforths in this index for Birmingham 1839 could they have any think to do with yours

there are a couple of Ashforths in this index for Birmingham 1839 could they have any think to do with yours

Yes, the Ashforths in this list are probably related, especially the Brittania person; the Ashforths were silversmiths and also did Brittania (Charles was a "hacker").

I'll look these up in IGI.

I do appreciate your offering.

Blessings, sh:)

Alberta - Looking for Thomas and Ann Ashforth

parents Thomas and Ann
Ann 1792
Mary 1796
James 1802
Sarah 1806
Phebe 1809
Joseph 1811

I'm coming back to you because I am unable to locate Thomas and Ann Ashforth, parents of William Ashforth.

Actually, I can't even find William Ashforth in IGI.

Am I looking in the wrong place? I get so frustrated, and I'm a patient person. I love doing research.

I realize that there are many errors in transcriptions, but I've also found a lot of data in my almost 2-years of researching.

Can you help me with Thomas Ashforth? I'm looking to find out his Christening - to see where he was born.

The 1841 Census on William Ashforth stated that he was NOT born in the county (Edgbaston record); but is Aston Juxta in a differing county than Edgbaston?

Also, what is "submission number"? I have many, many IGI individual records and cannot even find that word on any of the records. I do find, "Batch No., Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No:"

I'm lost. Can you help me out?

I do hope so.

Blessings, sh

:angel: This is from 'Family Search' LDS.
(Looks like you have a name transcription error here).
WILLIAM ASHFORD Male
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Event(s):
spacer.gif

Birth:
spacer.gif
Christening: 31 DEC 1794 Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwick, England Age at Christening: 1
spacer.gif

Death:
spacer.gif
Burial:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Parents: Father: THOMAS ASHFORD Mother: ANN
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Also found

WILLIAM ASHFORD
Male
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Event(s):
spacer.gif
Birth:
spacer.gif
Christening: 1794 Aston, , Warwick, England
spacer.gif

Death: 1865
spacer.gif
Burial:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Parents: Father: THOMAS ASHFORD Mother: ANN COLEMAN

Hope this helps :cool:

Last edited:
Pomgolian - Wm. Ashforth

Yes, it does. I believe Wm. Ashforth died in 1850 as in the 1851 Census, Keturah is a widow; and, I found a death date for Wm. Ashforth for 1850.

I do feel there is a transcription error here; I also found Ashford. Too bad.

I think I'll take the Wedding record of Wm's son, Charles and Sarah Steedman to determine parentage; but, does parentage determine also the County?

I know Wm. and Keturah are Charles' parents; still, if I can find a county, that also would help.

Thanks.

Also, I'd like to find the County of Wm's parents. I'm looking for as much accuracy as possible. Otherwise, I can't be sure.

Again, thanks.

sh.

Pomogolian - Ashforth

Thanks, Pomogolian.

Note that Wm. was born outside the County - but where?

Also, Charles was Wm's son; Sarah was from Dudley as was their first son, Robert Thomas - my g-grandfather, who later lived in Aston, at 139 Gerrard Street.

Robert Thomas Ashforth migrated to the USA in 1883, to the state of Connecticut. His son, Thomas Williams Ashforth then moved on to Cincinnati, Ohio - Thomas was my maternal grandfather.

Blessings, sh

William Ashforth vs Ashforth

It's me again on the same subject -

I can only find ASHFORD in IGI when it comes to William - I finally sent for a marriage certificate for Charles Ashforth, William's son.

This certificate should show me who Charles' parents are; no doubt they are William and Keturah.

But why is William's parents named, "Ashford"? There are more than one entries for Ashford, not Ashforth; can there be that many transcription errors?

Also, William Ashforth died 1850 - not 1865; Keturah was a widow in 1851, via the Census. I think the aforementioned William Ashford with parents Thomas and Ann is possibly incorrect as he did not live until 1865; not according to the Census.

sh

I'm back - had serious op

but I intend tofind out about Wm. Ashforth and Keturah.

When hospitalized (4 wks) i got the confirmation of Charles Ashforth's marriage as well as the fact that Wm. and Keturah were his parents.

BUT, since Wm. was NOT of the County of Edgsbaston, I still need to be sure where he came from.

sh

I have since (my last posting) learned that Keturah and William Asforth's children were:
John, 1814; Wm., 1816; Charles, 1818; Eliza, 1820; James, 1821; and Robert, 1830.

I am satisfied they are the children born of Wm. and Keturah. One of them went back to Sheffield to live and work and even married there. Now, to find out the true parents of Wm. He must have had close and many relatives as the Ashforths go really far back.

Please let me know if anyone finds data on them...thanks! sh

Back