• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wiggett, Sweet Shop By The Hippodrome

Shortie

master brummie
I don't know what year I am talking about, but my mother used to say that her auntie Flossie and her husband ran a sweet shop 'down the side of the hippodrome'. I don't think she meant the one on the corner which is now part of the back to backs.

The name of Flossie was Wiggett, I do not know her husband's Christian name.

Can someone help please?

Shortie

Only 2 wiggetts in 1940, one a design consultant ( thought those overpaid idiots only arrived recently) and the other , gladys, a shopkeeper at 25 Fern Rd, Erdington

No one who fits in 1932, 35,44 or 49 either. either the shop wassn't listed , or was listed under a title other than the owner of the shop
Mike

Ok Mike, thanks. I wonder if it was a 'family myth' then? I have one aunt remaining on that side, and she is close on 92, she may be able to remember. Must take a trip to Chelteham. thanks again

Shortie

Shortie one of our members George Wheeler use to speak of his Grand parents owning a couple of Sweet Shops in High Street Aston one was on the Hippodrome side I remember near Bracebridge Street and before Philips Street perhaps Mike can help us not sure if their name was Wheeler. I knew the shop very well I used it as a lad.
There was also a Sweet Shop opposite the Hippodrome which I used when I went to the Globe Cinema,
I can ask him again again I have his e-mail but is in his 70s and I haven't heard from him since he got married yes married a couple of years back:)

Hi Alf - it would have been the Birmingham Hippodrome I think. I have so far not found any of the family in Aston at all. I suppose it could have been earlier than I thought it was, but I think it's back to the drawing board for the moment.

Married again in his 70's? I think that sounds like a great idea.

Shortie

From the Electoral Rolls
There is a Robert F Wiggett and Nellie F Bate at 55 Hurst Street in 1945.
This would be by the Hippodrome.
In 1950 and 1955,at 55 Hurst Street is a Robert F Wiggett and Nellie F Wiggett.

Shortie

The only sweet shop by the Hippodrome that I remember was Bingham's on the corner of Inge Street on the site of the now back to backs. I think there was a newsagents across the road that sold sweets and I cannot remember a sweetshop uphill of the hippodrome.

Phil

CityIngeStBacktoBacks.jpg

Well, this is not Flossie, but Flossie's married name was Wiggett so this has got to link in somewhere. Thank you Linda, this is marvellous.

Shortie

Thanks Phil, the puzzle is slowly coming together now, despite the fact the Christian name is not quite right. Binghams shop, in 1989, was a sandwich shop, and I used to get my daily sandwich from there, as I worked in Hurst Street. Also the court next to the back to backs is where my grandfather used to live at one time (short time only I believe) - that was on the 1901 census. I seem to remember going there at one time, with my mother, but I remember the layout slightly differently. I cannot have been very old, in 1955 I was only eight. I have more work to do, but this is lovely news.

Shortie

Shortie

Arthur Bingham the one time owner of the shop is still about. They did a publicity shoot with him behind the counter of the renovated sweet shop when it reopened. I suppose Birmingham Heritage could put you in touch with him. He is bound to know something.

Phil

CityHurstStMrArthurBinghamsSweetShop.jpg
CityHurstStSweetShopReconstructed.jpg

Jean

To be quite honest, I don't know. I don't think I have ever seen the back to back's mag. I know that I have got a sort of before and after pair I have just posted the "after". But with the amount of photos I collect it would be a marathon job to record where they are all from. Even though I have said many times that I will start doing just that.

Phil

Thanks Phil. I think firstly I shall go back a bit and find out who Robert Wiggett's mother is and work it out from that. If that fails, I can get in touch with Elizabeth Perkins whom I know, as she was the person who started the Back to Back project - she should know who he is. If that fails, I do know other people, such as Chris Upton. I will get Chris's book out after lunch and see what he says about it, I cannot remember offhand, but I know there is quite a bit on the shop. How strange and possibly fortuitous is that?

Cheers

Shortie

Hi, this could be your Robert F Wiggett in 1911?
Florence WIGGETT, Head Married aged 29 born 1882 Honiton Devon
H G ROWLAND, Brother aged 25 born 1886 Newport Monmouth,Boot Maker
R E ROWLAND, Brother aged 20 born 1891 Birmingham,Tinsmith
May WIGGETT, Daughter aged 3 born 1908 Boot Maker Birmingham
Rose WIGGETT, Daughter aged 2 born 1909 Birmingham
Robert F WIGGETT, Son aged 3 Months born 1911 Birmingham
Address: 1 Owen St Birmingham
married 4 years
I think Florence lived at 9 back of 65 Hurst Street in 1901?

Yes, that's him Linda. I had not thought to get my file out, but at the moment I have Chris Upton's book in front of me, and Robert Wiggett is mentioned in that. How bizarre is that?

Yes, Florence lived at 9 back of 65 - and Birmingham Conservation Trust (actually Elizabeth Perkins) told me about the renumbering and that it would have been the next court. My grandfather was Sidney Rowland. My gradnfather's father Robert Rowland was not liked by his sons, and so I had little interest in that side of the family, although I had done a little research, even going as far as Honiton to see where Robert was born, but I never wanted to look into the siblings of my grandfather until just recently. What a surprise I had.

Thanks so much, and thanks to everyone for their help and assistance.

Shortie

Another surprise awaited me once I had read the text in Chris Upton's book - the lady outside the sweet shop with her daughter Rose Bingham, is Florence Wiggett, my grandfather's sister. The photo is not very good, but it looks like Chris Upton is in touch (or was) with Robert Wiggett, so I shall have to speak to Chris to see if he can put me in contact. Quite extraordinary, but a delightful surprise.

Shortie

On the same thread but a slightly different topic - I have not found Florence Rowland's marriage to ?? Wiggett, and after 1911 I have no idea where she lived. Would someone be so kind as to look for her on the Electoral Rolls please. Still stunned by the earlier news!

Shortie

1918 Absent Voters List at 1 court 46 Irving Street
Robert Frank Wiggett 2833 L-Cpl, 3rd Bn, Cold Gds

1920,1922,1925,1927,at 1 court 46 Irving Street
Florence Charlotte Wiggett and Robert Frank Wiggett
In 1930 as above with the addition of May Wiggett
1935 at 1 court 46 Irving Street
Florence Charlotte Wiggett and Robert Frank Wiggett and Frank Wiggett
1939 at 1 court 46 Irving Street
Florence Charlotte Wiggett and Robert Frank Wiggett
1950 and 1955 at 20 Brays Road,
Frank Wiggett and Florence C Wiggett

Last edited:
Brilliant bit of detective work linda:) I'd be happy with half of that. Also well done phil with the photos.:)

Now I can finish off my story! After finding out thanks to Mike and Phil, that the Bingham family was related to me, I sent an email to Elizabeth Perkins of Birmingham Conservation Trust, whom I got to know quite well from setting up the Friends of Key Hill. I was disappointed not to get a reply, but because I have not been involved with historical stuff in Birmingham for three years, I put it down to that. however, Elizabeth had simply been very busy and overlooked my email, but last week sent me an apology and giving me an address of Rose and Arthur Bingham's son, John.

To cut a long story short, I am now going to meet John Bingham who is my second cousin! We had a long chat on the phone, he filled in a couple of facts that I did not know, and I also gave him information that he had no knowledge of, so we have started off quite well. I am, as I am sure is quite clear, delighted at the outcome. It's thanks to this Forum that I have found some family, so well done all concerned.

From an extremely grateful Shortie

Hi Phil

I have just looked at this thread because something popped into my mind, and notice you say Arthur Bingham is still about. Arthur died in about 1982, but this must be John, his son, who I am shortly to meet. I had forgotten this photo was on here, now I know what he looks like before I meet him!

shortie

Shortie In September 1947 Robert F Wiggett married Nellie F Bate / Nellie F Horner in Birmingham. She was probably either a widow or divorced hence the 2 names. You need to see the marriage certificate to clear it up.

RB

Hi Roger

I shan't bother with the marriage certificate as I am in touch with John Bingham, the son of Rose Wiggett and a lot of the family stories have now been verified. Thank you for your interest.

Shortie

Hi, this could be your Robert F Wiggett in 1911?
Florence WIGGETT, Head Married aged 29 born 1882 Honiton Devon
H G ROWLAND, Brother aged 25 born 1886 Newport Monmouth,Boot Maker
R E ROWLAND, Brother aged 20 born 1891 Birmingham,Tinsmith
May WIGGETT, Daughter aged 3 born 1908 Boot Maker Birmingham
Rose WIGGETT, Daughter aged 2 born 1909 Birmingham
Robert F WIGGETT, Son aged 3 Months born 1911 Birmingham
Address: 1 Owen St Birmingham
married 4 years
I think Florence lived at 9 back of 65 Hurst Street in 1901?

My Grandad was the Robert Wiggett, that you are on about on this discussion.

Florence Wiggett, the mother of Robert Wiggett, was my grandfather's sister. Her maiden name was Rowland.

Florence Wiggett, the mother of Robert Wiggett, was my grandfather's sister. Her maiden name was Rowland.

Yes i saw that, your Grandfather Sidney is my Great Great Uncle, not sure but think that makes us 2nd cousin twice removed?

Not sure to be honest but probably something like that. I do have some photos if they are of any help to you. Just PM me and I will be happy to share. I do know quite a bit about the Rowland family.

Back