• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Who remember these ??

midland red (Lioyd)

hi Lloyd,
i,ve another question for you my mate of over
fourty years, and i remember going with him
clearly to bearwood midland red as it was
then to get a job with them.
he got the job and after several years left,
and fancied going on the coaches (clairable)
then got fed up with that tried to get back on the red
no jobs so chelmsley was just being built
so he finished up there.
another new town was starting up in redditch
back to the red goes he and after god know,s
how many years he still travels from hay mills
to redditch every day he,s on shift.
his name is bobby jenks do you know him or i bet
you know a man that does??
happy days dereklcg.:)

Yes I know Bobby, after the Bus operation finished in the bus station I transferred to Redditch and he was there, still is as far as I know.
I left Midland Red West as it was then (now Firstgroup) in 2002, but I sometimes go to Redditch shopping (as I Live at Maypole and it's just as easy to get there, and easier parking) and see some of my old workmates still driving round. Not as many happy faces in the cabs as in the old days, it's become a (insert rude word for excrement) job nowadays.
Bobby was one of the old group of drivers I knew, many now gone to the great bus depot in the sky, little did I think when I joined the Midland Red in 1973 that one day I'd become longest serving man at Birmingham depot, union chairman, and on the company's union negotiating committee. Many happy days spoilt by a few bad ones towards the end of my career there, when management didn't care about staff any more and the company was driven by the need for profit to pay shareholders, service to the public was a low priority.

Here's me catching my breath at Redditch a few years back, and a few others I have driven. These days gone now, how quickly history moves, eh!

Lloyd

not such a small world,even so nice to
chew the fat, i,ve known bobby for such a long
time it,s scary,i,m an ex hgv so i,ve always liked a sort,s of transport
bobby was hgv as well,many moons ago
we lived not far from each other both had motor bikes in the
sixties he had a royal enfield bullet i think a triumph and a
BSA 650cc in race trim,i knew him mom dad who was a velo man,build a bike from a box of bit,s he would.
there was another kid i knocked about with worked with you guys
on the red,pretty boy Richard hope another biker,we got on well.
any road up i,ll cut you loose nice to talk of the old buses
and the like. happy days. regards Derek.
PS i,ll see bobby tell him about our chat;)

43 bus

anyone seen a photos of the 43 bus to nechells it,s a bus i used to catch often from town to grt lister / Cromwell st.
hav,nt come across one have you? be nice to
see en route. happy days regards dereklcg.

Here's me catching my breath at Redditch a few years back, and a few others I have driven. These days gone now, how quickly history moves, eh!
i drove on the midland red in the early 60s,i started at bearwood,then i transferred ,to digbeth,(what a horrible garage to work from,after about 3 months i transferred to sheepcote street,my favourite route was the 118,b/ham to walsall,i did this rout for about 2 years,then back to bearwood,to do runs to stafford,kidderminster bewdley,and stourport and tenburi wells,and also occasionally the 118 route,they were happy days but when they brought 1 man operated buses,i left,the responsibility was too great,happy days

I can remember the older double deck Midland Reds with a front door and staircase, grinding up Mucklows Hill in late 40s. The engines used to steam a bit.

It is a great shame one of those FEDD (Front Entrance Double Deck) types didn't survive - they were the typical Midland Red town bus of the 40's and 50's.

Lloyd, that one does not seem quite what I remember. Maybe it was one of the last of that line. The radiator seems a little different and the out curl of the line above the cab is not there. I think that there is info already on here somewhere about these. The roofs used to be painted white also. Smashing photo.

It is a great shame one of those FEDD (Front Entrance Double Deck) types didn't survive - they were the typical Midland Red town bus of the 40's and 50's.
:)
hi ya Lloyd how you doing?
still have,nt seen that elusive bobby you speak to yet,
really good photo,s i even know where that one is, of midland red with
front door, across the road is the railway station if my memory
serves me well ?did my class one training round there happy days.
last time we emailed i asked if you remembered richard hope,
worked out of redditch do you remember him?
catch you later regards derek.

i even know where that one is, of midland red with
front door, across the road is the railway station if my memory
serves me well ?did my class one training round there happy days.
The coloured one is Leamington, as you say, opposite the Station.
Yes I remember Richard, as I worked at Redditch for a few years. Sorry, I thought I had replied to you. Do you see him? I think he left Midland Red about the same time I did, 2002.

A couple more Mid Red vehicles to stir the memories.

Re: wm buses

Hi bilbo c. my son is very interested in buses and travels many a mile on them. i wonder could you remember the numbers of the ones you have seen with original coat of arms and the old colours. he said he cant recall having seen any. thanks. wales
H 225 LOM (3225) was repainted for a long time in BCT livery. I believe there was a picture of it taken alongside MOF 3225 BCT 3225) at Moseley Road garage.

Hi Lloyd. I remember Richard Hope, if I remember he transferred to Lea Hall from Sheepcote St stayed a couple of years then moved to Redditch, this would have been around 1977. There was also another driver who came from Sheepcote St with him and went to Redditch, I think his name was Alan, I can't remember his second name. Do you remember Vic Wilson from Digbeth? He now works at Arriva Llandudno Junction Depot, I work at Rhyl Depot I also have worked at Washwood Heath in WMPTE days and Tamworth and Wellington depots in the National days from '75 onwards

Yes I remember Vic, he was a conductor at Digbeth and always wore the ticket machine low, on his thigh - so he would have to bend over the young ladies as he issued their ticket! A very dry sense of humour, too, I recall. Please give him my regards if you see him and get the chance. He visited the bus station a few years ago when he was up visiting, that was the last time I saw him.
Can't remember Alan, but it was a few decades ago now! I'd probably remember him if you get the surname.

Hi Lloyd. I remember Richard Hope, if I remember he transferred to Lea Hall from Sheepcote St stayed a couple of years then moved to Redditch, this would have been around 1977. There was also another driver who came from Sheepcote St with him and went to Redditch, I think his name was Alan, I can't remember his second name. Do you remember Vic Wilson from Digbeth? He now works at Arriva Llandudno Junction Depot, I work at Rhyl Depot I also have worked at Washwood Heath in WMPTE days and Tamworth and Wellington depots in the National days from '75 onwards

jfc, I knew Richard Hope too, he was the only bloke I know who used to go to the barbers every week so his hair always looked the same!
I worked with Vic Wilson many a time when he was a conductor at Digbeth. If you get to see him ask him about "Maverick" and (Golden) days on the Wythall Sheet with tea in Freds Caff. Thanks.

Was the Alan you were trying to remember Alan LLoyd?. If so he left the Red and is still working now on the WM at Yardley Wood Garage.

This is the field Lloyd rescued an old bus from in the 80's. The place is Hungry Hill and there are still a few caravans and challets used at weekends mainly by fishermen. Jean.

Next time I see Vic Wilson i'll pass on your messages. I think it might be Alan Moss but can't be sure, just after he moved to Redditch I seem to rememger hearing that he had been involved in a serious accident, i think out by Wythall but cant remember any details.

I remember the name Alan Moss from Redditch, and think I can put a face to it - but not certain.
Don't remember an accident at Wythall area though.

That looks the place Jean - I wonder what other bus or train treasures survive as holiday homes in that area!

Yes thanks Jean. Looks like the place - but without the rain we had then!

Another friend, Alan, lived in this one when he first married.
It was formerly Midland Red 976 (HA 4916) near Earlswood and no, it's not still there - we've looked!

Last edited:
jfc, I knew Richard Hope too, he was the only bloke I know who used to go to the barbers every week so his hair always looked the same!
I worked with Vic Wilson many a time when he was a conductor at Digbeth. If you get to see him ask him about "Maverick" and (Golden) days on the Wythall Sheet with tea in Freds Caff. Thanks.

Was the Alan you were trying to remember Alan LLoyd?. If so he left the Red and is still working now on the WM at Yardley Wood Garage.

hi mike i was a mate of richard hope before he started on the red,he worked at a hardware shop in the poolway,i worked at the garage down the road he had a 650 bsa i was a biker so we hit it off. another mate was bobby jenks as it goes i went to bearwood when he first signed up,richard worked in redditch and bobby is still here we,ve been mates for over fourty years. happy days regards derek.

Hi Derek , I knew Richard only from when he was working at "Toytown" (Digbeths nickname for Sheepcote Street Garage) and at Redditch. I remember he was keen on steam locos. Your mate Bob I worked with at Digbeth for years. Glad to hear he is still about..
Mike

If I remember correctly,
it was a number 25 that would travel into Sutton Coldfield to West Bromwhich

The West Bromwich Corporation 25 is the one you're thinking of, dennis. Here's a copy of a painting of one passing the Sutton Odeon.

Came across this pic of West Brom Corporation buses that shows a nice contrast over the years that seperate them.

Mike did the 72 go to Greets Green. Rings a bell from my youth when I visited my uncle Arther. Bye. Mortorman Mike:confused::confused::confused:. Oh sorry Motorman Mike. Jean.

Pass - not because you called me Mortorman again Jean (is it Baileys night tonight?) but because I'm not clued up about West Brom. Lloyd is the man who will know. I'm off for a Grouse now, Cheers.
Mike

Mike enjoy. Our friend Bill the farmer loves his grouse. Will ask Lloyd in the morning. Enjoy. Jean.

Back