• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Who remember these ??

Yes i think so Alf , I remember my parents taking me on one
of those buses to Dudley Zoo when i was knee high what
a treat that was riding on a different coloured bus.
ragga :)

:)Thats why I asked because I did the same, it was the colours like the Midland Red etc great memories

I used to use them to get to Handsworth Technical School (then in Goldshill Road) and compared with the Birmingham Corporation buzzes they were filthy and rattly. Not a pleasant experience.

Good to see WM kept them in the way that the regulars were used to ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
West Bromwich buses

I believe these were originally West Bromwich Corporation buses, presumably incorporated into WM Travel along with Birmingham City Transport and Walsall Corporation buses, who also had a large fleet of trolley buses.
I notice that TravelWM have repainted some of their new buses into the historic colours, of all the constituent companies, complete with the 'Coats of Arms' that the fleets would have carried originally.
The West Bromwich buses sadly did not appear to be as well maintained as the Birmingham City Transport fleet, although I may be biased being a proud Brummie!

Bill.

wm buses

Hi bilbo c. my son is very interested in buses and travels many a mile on them. i wonder could you remember the numbers of the ones you have seen with original coat of arms and the old colours. he said he cant recall having seen any. thanks. wales

Hi Bill yes they were West Brom busses and like their footy team not as well presented as their Brummie neighbours;)

I have tried to find a decent photograph of a West Brom bus in correct livery but they appear to be a bit thin on the ground.

Yes I remember.
I use to get the bus to Dudley (can't remember the number) I remember it was either a cream Birmingham Bus or a blue West Bromwich Bus.
You paid your fare in Brum, when you passed the boundary at the west Brom ground, the Conductor collected the fares again. Yes, the Bus you paid twice on.:grinsmile:

Peter I think the 74 might have been a Birmingham bus to the boundary along with the 70 which terminated in Lodge Road (I think) but the others that started from by Snow Hill Station were West Brom. When were you at Handsworth Tech? If you were ever hit by a water bomb thrown from the Geography Room (originally a caretakers rooms from the fittings in it) above the main entrance it was not me - honest:D

A few more HTS members. I was there for three years leaving in 55. The busses have been talked about before. Used to walk up Cherry Street and across the church yard to the front of Snowhill and catch the bus there. Often it would be an old West Brom bus. I think that some of them were old Birmingham Daimler busses re-painted in the green and yellow colours. They seemed to lean a bit more on softer springs. The drivers had one thing in common though they all used to drive like the dickens. You would be off round the corner and going like a scalded down the hill as if Stirling Moss or Black Jack were driving. The best sight in the world for a student running late was a West Brom bus pulling up. You had to get on quickly though. If you had to run for it and the conductor saw you comiing, I swear they would ring the bell. I don't remember geography at all at HTS. I could not have been very impressed with it. But yes Goldshill Road and don't forget Boulton Road and the playing fields along Oxhill Road if I remember rightly. You can GE the playing fields and I think that you can see the outline of where the old changing pavilion used to be, or maybe it is wishfull thinking. Gosh this all seems like it occurred yesterday but it was a lifetime ago.
Best wishes.

Last edited:
west brom bus routes

Peter I think the 74 might have been a Birmingham bus to the boundary along with the 70 which terminated in Lodge Road (I think) but the others that started from by Snow Hill Station were West Brom. When were you at Handsworth Tech? If you were ever hit by a water bomb thrown from the Geography Room (originally a caretakers rooms from the fittings in it) above the main entrance it was not me - honest:D
I DROVE THE WEST BROM BUSSES ,ROUTE NO74 WAS B/HAM TO DUDLEY,ANDROUTE NO 75 WAS B/HAM TO WEDNESBURY,THAT WAS IN THE 50S

No. 174 of the same batch is undergoing total restoration by volunteers at the Black Country Museum, Dudley. Here's a few photos taken a couple of years ago, it's much nearer completion now.

Welcome Arthur into the swing already enjoy, most of us have fond memories of Biringham Buses and others:)

Bus Liveries

Just had a reply from Travel Care [Travelcare@nationalexpress.com] or Travel WM as was!
They say that the buses I had seen are no longer painted in this livery.

Bill.

Yes I recall those liveries Bilbo C on our city buses .... around mid 90s i
should say or there about , the colours represented the Corporation
as it was then . The bus i like when i saw it was the one carrying the
livery of Coventry Corporation ....... chocolate brown
ragga :)

Can't remember the date, but a few years ago WMPTE (as it was then) repainted several buses into 'heritage' liveries, one at each depot of the former corporation transports. There were several 'Birmingham' ones, therefore. All now repainted or scrapped. Here's a few piccies!

No. 174 of the same batch is undergoing total restoration by volunteers at the Black Country Museum, Dudley. Here's a few photos taken a couple of years ago, it's much nearer completion now.
;)hi Lloyd nice revamp,
do you think they could do the same to this
bus i photographed? i fact they,re long gone
it was in the seventies in chelmsley wood,over the road from
where i lived,just thought you mite like a look see.
regards dereklcg.:)

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Lloyld :stare: :explode:

Thanks for the memory:)

;)hi Lloyd nice revamp,
do you think they could do the same to this
bus i photographed? i fact they,re long gone
it was in the seventies in chelmsley wood,over the road from
where i lived,just thought you mite like a look see.
regards dereklcg.:)

Ha ha! I remember that happening! The bus was an Alexander (of Falkirk, Scotland) bodied Daimler 'Fleetline', taken over by WMPTE from Midland Red. The bodywork was mostly fibreglass and plastic mouldings on a thin steel frame, which as your pictures show was all that was left.

ha ha (Lloyd)

what do you mean Lloyd you remember that happening?
did live on chelmsley wood the top of chelmsley road?
i lived on the corner of greenwood ave /chelmsley road
in a two story flat.
happy some crappy days. regards dereklcg.:)

No, I worked on the buses (Midland Red) and there was a good news 'grapevine' from where you heard everything that was going on.

My late friend Stan Palmer used to drive from Lea Hall garage, he was one of those who drove the experimental buses like 9JML in your picture.
2211 MK was a similar chassis, but with a forward (not front) entrance body.

Back