• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

White Harry & John

Solihull Chic

knowlegable brummie
Looking for info on John White born 1881 in Birmingham his father being a Harry?Henry White.
John White was in the Warwickshire regiment & Joined when he was 18yrs of age! His army records show his father as Henry White living in
Alison Street Birmingham!
John White married Lucy Emily Keen in 1907 at St Gabriels Church, address,s given!as in St Gabriels parish! Father of John- Harry White labourer... John & Lucy had some of their children baptised at St john the Baptist church! they had one son called Harold White b 1910-1911 known as Harry!....they lived in Buck street in the 1911 census! In 1912 they were living in Charles Henry Street according to one of their daughters christening record! & eventually by 1918 were living in Mosel;ey street in the back to back court!
But cannot find a birth record for John White or 1891 census or 1901 census for either John or his father Harry/Henry White, have looked under Harold White to!... I am on ancestry & genes reuntited but not been able to locate them? would appreciate any connections & help with this!? thanks .....

Do you know the name of John's Mother? This might help to trace the census records as DOBs are not very accurate.
Janice

Do you know the name of John's Mother? This might help to trace the census records as DOBs are not very accurate.
Janice
Hi thanks Janice! No I don,t know Johns mothers name, this was my mothers family! And can,t link any of the given daughters names in with Census records for Johns side! As usually they use to use their parents & Grandparents names to follow through to their children with back then! This is were you feel frustrated you did not ask more questions when they were alive! Supposedly John,s family were from Cork Ireland, but his 1911 census & Army record show he was born in Birmingham! Likely also his parents Harry plus wife may have been born in Brum to! As I would imagine it was back in the 1840,s this White family may have come over in potato famine!..... I do appreciate, you contacting me! X

I noticed that on the army records the address was 19 Allison Street, well in 1901 at that address was

William White b. 1842 Iron scrap dealer
Harriett White b. 1854 Stratford on Avon
Rose White b. 1886 general domestic b. Bham
Alice White b. 1888 b. Bham.

I dont know if this helps at all

Ive just checked the original census and William White wasnt an iron scrap dealer , that was the person above! There is no occupation by his name, or place of birth.

Sorry this is getting confusing :adoration: there is an arrow pointing to the person above so he WAS a iron scrap dealer and born bath, somerset apparently! Best thing is to check it out yourself!

Last edited:
I noticed that on the army records the address was 19 Allison Street, well in 1901 at that address was

William White b. 1842 Iron scrap dealer
Harriett White b. 1854 Stratford on Avon
Rose White b. 1886 general domestic b. Bham
Alice White b. 1888 b. Bham.

I dont know if this helps at all

Thankyou so much for doing some research for me on this! And coming up with this census record! Of which I,ve spent last couple of hours researching this William & Harriet White! The baptist records I,ve come up with so far for their children are Rose & Alice as above & also a Betsy b 4th July 1883 ...up to yet have not found John,s b 1880, s record connected with them! It does say on hugs army record he has no brothers! I,ve found a marriage record for a William White & Harriet Robbins 18th Jan 1875 at Bishops Ryder Birmingham... Not sure were Bishops Ryder's is? ... And looking on the census records for them, to see if he had a brother Harry or Henry! ..... I,ll let you know the outcome! I really do appreciate this lead! Many Thanks! :smug:

Im glad it was of some use. Did you find the 1881 census at Holt St. Aston.

Harriett White aged 30 (marr) b. Stratford on Avon with son John White aged 2 years b. Bham.

Im glad it was of some use. Did you find the 1881 census at Holt St. Aston.

Harriett White aged 30 (marr) b. Stratford on Avon with son John White aged 2 years b. Bham.

Thanks again! Earlier today & yesterday came across this census record! And did cross my mind if this could be my John with his mother! Also have come across William White as a boarder in Brum!in 1881 Tried to relocate both these census records after you contacted me & could not find them! So it's just great you,ve sent me this through! :smug: Thanks again!

Rose White married a Harry Robbins in 1902 Bham. The marriage cert is on ancestry.

Father of Rose White is given as Harry White, scrap dealer! So it seems William White called himself Harry in later years.

Elizabeth White (Betsy) was married to Sidney Ernest Howard in 1900. The marr cert is on ancestry. Father is William White, and address Alison Street.

Rose White married a Harry Robbins in 1902 Bham. The marriage cert is on ancestry.

Father of Rose White is given as Harry White, scrap dealer! So it seems William White called himself Harry in later years.[/QUOTE

Looks like a Eureka moment then! Bless you! :encouragement: I,ve come across with my other family research in fact just recently that I know that sometimes on the birth record a child is given a name and then given an extra name on their baptism! Or maybe Williams middle name was Harry or vice versa! Or he changed his name to hide from something! Found that one with another branch of my family (from Ireland! Changed surnames halfway between census records! ) or given them selves another Christian name to hide their past! Again taken me ages to uncover the truth and get on the right track!
So I sincerely so appreciate your help on this! Interesting also that William/Harry White is from the Bath area as Lucy Emily Keen who John White married was from Bedminster & Lucy told me when I was a child that all her family were from the Bristol area! And from Aristocracy! The Aristocracy part proved to be true to! But not from the Bristol side! So I,m truly grateful! To you! Thanks!

Strange as well as I was in Bath yesterday on my way back from Longleat, Wiltshire, and always think what a beautiful city it is. Good luck with your research. Shera

Small world as they say! ... That was nice that you were down that way as ...Yes Bath is a really beautiful part of world! Makes you wonder what life would have been like for these ancestors if they had stayed down there!
Came across William/Harry White & Harriets wedding certificate! Williams father was a John White! A stone mason! Another connection as Lucy Emily Keens father Joh keen was a stone mason too! So probably worked to get her at some point!... Also found them both on the 19011 census living in 66 green street John now as a labourer they gave a lodger Thomas Grayeridge who us down as a scrap metal dealer! John & Harriet were married for 44 yrs so this would bring them to being married in 1867 so have to check this out tomorrow ! and they had had 14 children 10 had died amazing how upset that made me feel! Must have been so tough for them ! Can,t imagine what they must have gone through! Take care & thanks again x

Solihul chic - so glad shera has been able to help you sort your Whites out :peaceful: It was very confusing wasn't it!

How horrible for William/Harry and Harriet to lose so many children. It is upsetting to find things like that in families you are researching as the more you find out about them you begin to feel you know them and you imagine how it must have been for them - very sad indeed.

Well done to shera for finding Harry/Henry/William :encouragement:

Last edited:
Solihul chic - so glad shera has been able to help you sort your Whites out :peaceful: It was very confusing wasn't it!

How horrible for John and Harriet to lose so many children. It is upsetting to find things like that in families you are researching as the more you find out about them you begin to feel you know them and you imagine how it must have been for them - very sad indeed.

Well done to shera for finding Harry/Henry/William :encouragement:

Agreed Pollypops & thank you for your kind remarks & encouragement! ... Yes it's wonderful & amazing how someone else will give of their time & effort to help with this & very grateful to Shera! But as they say the Brums are very warmhearted & generous! Were from real good stock that looked out for one another & always there in times of need! & I,m Indebted as they say!
& I,ve realised I,ve used the name John instead of William/Harry/Henry! In my last message & remarks! All the excitement of finally getting a break through on this block that's been there a long time!
I,ve only just joined this forum & find it amazing! Wonderful! & a big hearted thanks! :rolleyes:

That is terribly sad that William and Harriett White lost 10 out of their 14 children. I just dont know how people were able to carry on with their lives whilst having to endure such misery. Thankyou for your comments but I enjoyed looking for the family and get much pleasure from being able to sort it out. All the best, Shera

Back