• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Which is the quicker transport option to Walsall from Birmingham - bus or bike?

I was just doing a little research on The Towers on the Walsall Road and it reminded me of an amusing Sunday a couple of years ago....

It was on a Sunday that, for no particular reason, I decided to do an urban cycle ride so pointed the bicycle in the direction of Birmingham. Despite having to climb Mucklow Hill and the rise up to Warley Bowl, I pottered along at a comfortable pace and averaged a pretty quick time to the Iron Man in Victoria Square.

I was rolling down Newhall Street when the No.51 bus to Walsall cut me up. I was annoyed but rather than shout at the driver I thought “I know, I’ll race him to Walsall.” Not an easy task on a Sunday as it was quiet and the driver didn’t have to stop too many times to pick up or drop off passengers!

I got past him on Lionel Street and kept him at bay along Summer Lane. No time to stop and look at the Barton’s Arms, I was on a mission to get through the road junction – I got some vital time on the bus as it is much quicker to manoeuvre a bike than a bus. By this time he was virtually going round corners on two wheels to beat me as he was now playing beat the cyclist.

And then we’re off up the Walsall Road, mostly bus and cycle lane to give me a fighting chance. I managed to get some time on the bus through Six Ways so I assume he got caught up in a narrow lane or maybe the lights held him up. However, I laboured up Tower Hill and, whilst chugging along, he came flying past at around 40mph. The passengers were now starting to get very interested in our little race.

I needed them to get a red light at the Scott Arms junction and, lo-and-behold, he was waiting in line as I rolled to the front of the queue. The passengers were more than intrigued at this point. Some were starting to wave! I was puffing and panting and it was uphill to the M6 roundabout so he had me again but he had to go around the roundabout as I hauled myself up and over the flyover.

The scene was hilarious as we raced each other for position on the bus lane where the two roads meet again. He just got in front of me and I had to dig in a bit to retain any hope of catching him – I was running out of road. The bus had to slow for the speed cameras so I buried myself as I pulled out onto the dual carriageway to edge ahead. I’d like to think I could hear him shout “the sneaky git.”

I got through the lights at The Bell ahead, but only just. Only a slight uphill section before the gradient went in my favour down to the Travelodge. Unfortunately, the slope up to the Five Ways helped the bus recover my gap and we’re neck-and-neck into the town.

By now, the driver is desperate to get to the bus station ahead of me. However, his passengers were clearly rooting for the cyclist. I just squeezed up the right-hand side in a tight manoeuvre along Bridge Street and beamed as I rolled through the bus station. It was a good scrap and a close shave but victory was mine!

cyclist-victory-salute.jpg

The train is faster to Walsall. Bus takes over an hour. Depending on which route you go on. Only hot a bus all the way to Walsall once years ago and it took ages. One of the 9XX routes.

When I ride into Walsall, I take NCR 5 along the mainline canal to West Bromwich, then through the tame Valley Park along the river Tame to the Perry Barr Canal. A much longer route but very a very enjoyable ride.

The bus driver was of course working to a time schedule, all the rest was in your dreams. :)
Your comment made me chuckle - however, the race was for real. It was a lazy Sunday and the driver only stopped twice. I just looked at my online records [all sadly logged] and from Hockley to Walsall I averaged 37.01 kph which, of course, includes stopping for lights etc. So, the bus driver clearly binned his schedule!

That reminds me of years ago when 'Panorama' did an 'investigation' of the French telephone service, which was far-famed for being dreadful. They used the Le Mans circuit, and began a phone-call from the starter's box to the other side of the circuit at the same time as a car left the start-grid. Guess which got to the other side of the circuit first?

G

#7 37.01 kph That is bloody fast, you on a MOTOR bike or Ebike?
Like you oldbrit, I have two engines - a left leg and a right leg. My story goes back to 2015 when I still had decent speed and rode plenty of through-and-off [bit-and-bit] with a club. I am somewhat slower now but still like to try for PB's on Strava. Like they say, anybody can win a world record but only you can achieve a PB!!

OK, this might sound like a load of old you-know-what, but it isn't. Way back in the Sixties, the Salutation Arms (corner of Snow Hill and Summer Lane) was a favoured Friday night spot for trad jazz. A load of crazies and weirdoes gathered there, but few so barmy as a bloke who was a genuine 'Edwardian Stylist', dressing in clothes from the early 20th century - wire-framed glasses, centre-parting, the lot. And he rode a bike which probably dated from the same era. Anyway, story goes that one evening he was belting it along the Bristol Road South, and was overtaken by a police-car that made him pull over. He was advised that he was exceeding the (presumably) 30 mph speed limit. He argued that a push-bike couldn't be done for that, and the copper agreed. He was eventually done for - wait for it - 'Furious Pedalling', a genuine misdemeanour, and was actually fined! After that, he was a hero!

G

He was done for - wait for it - 'Furious Pedalling.'

In September 1997, The Guardian reported that a cyclist was fined £120 for travelling through the Cambridge city centre at 25mph in a 30mph zone. The police used a law that was more than 150 years old for "riding furiously". The Town Police Clauses Act of 1847, section 28, F18, states that penalties will be given to "every person who rides or drives furiously any horse or carriage, or drives furiously any cattle."

I have at times nudged the magical 100 kph but it is frightening. This has been on descents in The Alps. It is fun at first and then I start to think of a front wheel puncture or the forks failing. On this hill Sean Kelly, a personal hero of mine, clocked up 124 kph :

Last edited:
Back