• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Which Cemetery

Hils

Hello Everyone,

I'm new on here, so hope I'm getting this right.

I'm trying to find out which cemetery my gg grandparents are buried in. I was going to the library to look up the microfilms but they are closed on Sat due to the move, and I work full time.

Sarah Yates died 1890 Balsall Heath, William Yates died 1893 Balsall Heath.

So far I know they are not in Witton, Key Hill or Warstone. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any cemeteries long ago disappeared? I'd be very gateful for any hints/tips/clues etc.

Hils:unconscious:

There is still Yardley, Lodge Hill to search, quiet possible if they lived in Balsall Heath. They are still around! Only way I know is too search at the library though.

There is still Yardley, Lodge Hill to search, quiet possible if they lived in Balsall Heath. They are still around! Only way I know is too search at the library though.

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick reply. Lodge Hill is out as it wasn't opened until 1895. I suppose there is handsworth but I thought that would be too far away. I will await a respose from Yardley with baited breath and fingers crossed. Thanks again.

Hils

Hils

There is a Sarah Yates buried 1890 in Warstone Lane register number 41725 - 1 in grave. The BMD lists a Sarah Yates death in AMJ 1890 born 1811 aged 79. Or is your Sarah the one registered JAS Kings Norton?

Suzanne

Hi there suzanne,

No its not the Warstone cemetery Sarah. I had high hopes when I first saw it but hopes were dashed :( My Sarah is the Kings Norton one. Balsall Heath came under Kings norton until 1893 then it moved to Birmingham district. My Sarah was 70 when she died. William was 74. They were both born 1819/20 William also came under Kings Norton. Both death certs state kings norton worcester.
Thanks for the help.
Hils.

hi hils a few months back i was searching for my uncles grave, i was,nt even sure if he,d been burried or cremated,
or which cemetery even, so i enquired at yardley cemetery where i know some of my family are burried,
and i was informed that they could e mail all b,ham cemetries and they would all do a search
i recieved an email from the cemetery with my information and there was no charge
hope this is of help mhe

Balsall Heath was not Birmingham at that time, so it may be that they are not buried in Birmingham at all. St Mary's Church, Moseley is where I have been pointed to in the past for Balsall Heath burials. I did not have chance to do a check on mine, so I cannot verify. I was told this by someone I know well who is a member of Balsall Heath Local History group. Try the library, the burials will be on film.

Hi Hils

Have you checked to see whether they are buried in St Nicolas’ Churchyard Kings Norton? If not here is a link https://www.kingsnorton.org.uk/genealogy.html they don’t keep old burial records, but direct you to Birmingham City Council who have the records.

You’ve probably got this already, but as I came across it I thought I would add it anyway. I found it in Ancestry’s England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966 re William Yates’ death on 4[SUP]th[/SUP] December 1893 –

Yates William of 3 Willow Road, Balsall Heath, King’s Norton, Worcestershire, brass wire drawer, died 4[SUP]th[/SUP] December 1893. Administration Worcester 20 December to William Henry Yates brass wire drawer. Effects £73.2s.

bewdley

Back