• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this

ColinB

gone but not forgotten
Not a competition, but can anyone identify the location of this photo taken about 1920, anyone with access to a suitable Kelly's may be able to find a location of what seems to me as a shop named Metcalf Pharmacy and a Wrensons store.
It was understood to be in Kings Heath, but I cannot connect it to anywhere in the area.
Any suggestions why the bunting would be up (end of WW1)

Colin

unable to resource image

Last edited:
Looked at all the Kellys I have for Birmingham 1913-1955 (there is a big gap 1922-31) and can't find any Metcalf chemist or Suffield (if that is the name of the shop) ironmonger. Wrenson have too many stores to be much use. It did make make wonder whether the shops were in birmingham, so had a look at the warwickshire 1912 Kellys, and there is a John thomas Metcalf, chemist, Stratford Road, Shirley. No suffield. In the 1928 Kellys he is an Oliver Robert Suffield, ironmonger, Stratford road, Shirley. No numbers I'm afraid, as they don't give them for the small towns (or whatever you want to call it) in kellys
Mike

1925 phone book gives R O Suffield, General Ironmonger at Stratford Rd, Shirley, (no number) and a Wrensons at 1571 Stratford Rd, and another at 52 High St Shirley.
The latter must have been renumbered into the Stratford Rd sequence, as that address now shows on Google maps as a house in High St, Solihull Lodge.

I am inclined to think it is long-gone properties in Shirley from this, and mikejee's comment above.

https://www.birminghamuk.com/kingsheath.htm There's a video of old Kings Heath High St here and there are a group of shops that look similar to those, but I would'nt be 100% sure, as there are a couple of differences (like the dormers, but they could have been added) and I can't see the street light in your pic'. You may have already studied the video though... if not I hope it helps.

Last edited:
I am inclined to go with Mike but will maybe pop along the road later to check as the buildings though changed are still recognisable above the shop fronts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys, the photo came via Barrie Geens author of a couple of books on Kings Heath, who was unable to locate where the photo was taken, as there were many Wrenson Stores throughout Birmingham, the best chance of finding the location was through Metcalf Chemists.

Colin

It is definately in Shirley.

I have the book Shirley - a Pictorial History by Sue Bates and there are two pictures in there that will help.

I have just scanned them in.

The first shows the row of shops from your picture on the right, the second shows Shirley Hardware Stores which later became Suffields.

Thanks guilbert, I also have Sue Bates book, and looking at the details it looks like problem solved.

Colin

Hi quilbert
well done a nice bit of detective work under taken
facts before the jury given and proven well done
astonion

Thanks Guys, the photo came via Barrie Geens author of a couple of books on Kings Heath, who was unable to locate where the photo was taken, as there were many Wrenson Stores throughout Birmingham, the best chance of finding the location was through Metcalf Chemists.

Colin
The shops I remember as child were, Co op, Wrensons, and George Masons, I think their Head Office was in
Bradford Street, Bernard

Thanks to everyone who helped to solve this mystery, especially Guilbert. I was sold this post card at the week-end as being King's Heath although the seller did say he would have the card back if the location was not correct. I have just returned from Birmingham Ref Library having checked the Kelly's without success. Thanks to all.
Barrie

I regularly used to buy from Suffields. It was a real loss when they closed. It is only five minutes from me. I can't think exactly what is there now and if I'm right the building isn't quite the front facade it was. I would be more than happy to go and take some digital photographs for you.
Regards.
Jill

definately suffieds shirley, got my first set of bricklaying tools from there in the 70s, c bryant and son had an account with them from their head office in cranmore boulevard, had a little amount of money deducted from my apprentices wages each week to pay for them. Pete

These shops in Shirley (link below) look the same as the ones in your picture.

This view below is near Staples office supplies, the Plume of Feathers pub and St James church.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=e...solBwzaLwd2T_zRtPn9EBQ&cbp=12,206.87,,0,-4.64

They have similar vertical wooden slats just below the roof.

Also if you look at the FIRST picture I posted above (attached again below), the building at the rear of the picture (side view of building) looks the same with the small window.

Hi Jill
Although Shirley is not my area of interest it would be nice to compare the post card view to what is there today if you have time.
Regards
Barrie

Barrie I photographed this today but Guillberts link to Googles show it very well indeed. Sydney Mitchell are now where Suffields where. The windows are as Suffields put in when they modernised it. They had both shops when I knew them.

View attachment 63135

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernie. Thanks for image. You can certainly see it is the same structures above the shops. Unmistakeable.
Cheers
Barrie

Barrie I confess this is grabbed from Google Street as they found less traffic than shows in my photos.

Amazingly the buildings opposite the shops are still there, refronted as shops and offices now. Compare the left hand side of the original photo, where the boy is walking past them, with this.
The road has been widened slightly, but only by reducing the pavement.

Well done guilbert and Bernie for finding the shops still standing! I was sure they would have gone by now.

Back