• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is this

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
I came across this picture from somewhere and though I seem to recognise it, for the life of me I cannot seem to place where it is/was. Someone must know.

Terry

Attachments

• City Bull Ring_os St Martins House.jpg
    City Bull Ring_os St Martins House.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
Terry not to sure on this one but i think it maybe the underpass beneath Paradise Circus with the car park being on Suffolk St. Hows the knee getting on?? Dek

yes, we used to get the bus home from near there, an underpass linked the markets with this side of the road

So would that multi storey be Park St? If it is, the picture must be by the old Bull Ring, am I right?.

"Hows the knee getting on?? Dek "

I'm getting there Dek, slow but sure.

Terry

Yes i remember it now there were a row of shop to the left of the photo(out of shot )going down to Park St.Dek

there used to be a barbers and a delicatesion and also a music shop. they were just up from the slow boat chinese resturaunt.

My that was the first place i ever had a Chinese meal.And this particular part of the Bullring seemed to go downhill,before the rest.
Further up towards the markets on the right there was a cafe on the corner Gino's,and on the left just before that, there was a walkway through to the stalls, in front of Woolworth, a guy used to sit in there playing guitar,does anybody remember him?
In the mid 60s there was an arcade fruit machines,in Park St next to the pub on the corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
They were prosercuted for having bird traps at the back of the premises. I to had my first chinese meal there, chicken and chinese mushroom soup followed by chiken and pineapple with fried rice, washed down with a pint of worthington E. Well sophisticated.

without a doubt, opposite st martins, they were small booths, one of which I seem to recall mended false teeth, one was a flower stall

Thanks all, I do remember it now, mainly the music shop I used to go in now and again. The cafe that was there by the market stalls was where my mom and dad used to go to, they swore by it, said it was the best cup of tea in Brum.

Terry

In the attached picture, did,nt this lead to the row of shops we are on about?

Terry

No Terry the ring Rd was between that walk way and the The Outrigger and the office block that you can see at the back of the photo.that walkway didn,t go any further than what you can see( when you look closer it is actually a balcony you can see people below) Dek

They were prosercuted for having bird traps at the back of the premises. I to had my first chinese meal there, chicken and chinese mushroom soup followed by chiken and pineapple with fried rice, washed down with a pint of worthington E. Well sophisticated.

I remember the Slow Boat, cant say that I really believed the Cat meat story though. If you think about it, a Chicken probably costs a restuarant less than a pound. Or alternatively, they can go to the trouble /risk of catching a cat, skinning it, and dressing it up to look like Chicken. You dont need to be a businessman to work ot that it just aint worth the bother.

Ans as for the other Chinese food tale 'moths with the wings pulled off sold as Prawns'....nuff said, I'll just carry on eating and enjoying it !

btw, Didnt the Slowboat move to Corporation St, opposite C&A on the 1st floor ?

In this photo of the bus stops opposite St Martins & the Bull Ring you can just make out the first kiosk in the top right of the photo.

Phil

CityBullRingatNight1967.jpg

Yes Phil what i can,t remember is, were the shops part of the office block that was on that corner my memory tells me they were built into the ground floor but i,m not certain. Dek

Yes Dek, there were shops to the right of the photo. I will try and find a photo that shows them, but not many show that side of the Bull Ring.

Phil

I remember the Slow Boat, cant say that I really believed the Cat meat story though. If you think about it, a Chicken probably costs a restuarant less than a pound. Or alternatively, they can go to the trouble /risk of catching a cat, skinning it, and dressing it up to look like Chicken. You dont need to be a businessman to work ot that it just aint worth the bother.

Ans as for the other Chinese food tale 'moths with the wings pulled off sold as Prawns'....nuff said, I'll just carry on eating and enjoying it !

btw, Didnt the Slowboat move to Corporation St, opposite C&A on the 1st floor ?

I do believe they did get fined for it

Phil what i can,t recall if the shops were part of the office block next to the Outrigger in post#16. Dek

My husband used to go in the music shop,i remember him trying a lovely electric piano,out of his price range.

That is Manzoni Gardens, in the huge island at the top of Digbeth (St Martins Circus) where the old market hall stood. The Rotunda, you can see in front, High Street (and New Street) went off just to its right, and a footpath that followed the route of Worcester Street to its left - but the other side of the roadway.
From where this photo was taken, turn round and walk the other way, you come to that balcony in post #16, but turn right just before it and under the roadway, then turn left and walk through the pedestrian tunnel towards Moor Street, then right and the kiosk is right there.

Back