• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where is this pub?

roly

master brummie
This is one that has appeared on the B38 Facebook group a couple of weeks ago. I saw it and immediately thought it's the "Ash Meadow" in Brandwood Park Road1013605_10152145745842643_3604567931392557084_n.jpg.

hi roly
yes that was taken before the revamp and that was its first oriniginla build
And now its disopeared for good its a complex of houses sadly many years in those days i lived with my mother
in reeves rd and drank in there man times after work astonian;;

I was certain that it was the Ash Meadow. I lived in Brandwood park Road (Kelverdale grove actually) from 1965 - 1998. The real giveaway was the footpath and wide grass verge. Remember Reeves road / Dawberry Road / Waldrons Moor / Bilberry Road / Hillcroft Road very well as my classmates lived there (Pineapple school). Remember the prefabs in BPR and Allens Croft Road.

Crikey - it IS the Ash Pan! I used to live a few door down from this pub and have had some very happy times in there. I never saw it like this though. As I remember, the main way in to the bar and lounge was on the left hand side (as you look at the pic) and the 'outdoor' was on the right. When was it changed around? Any ideas?

In the seventys it was changed around and in the eighty,s the manament came with us to Dublin to see how they run there Irish bars
Thirty of us went for the occasion and they as e with us I will try and fdig out this broiup photo over the weekend best wishesAstonian,,,,,

Someone somewhere has traced this photograph to being the "Broadway" in Norton, Stourbridge but I could have sworn it was the Ash meadow!

Hi, Could the negative have possibly been reversed? The reason I ask is that I remember (like Pelham1961) that the main entrance was on the left of the building whilst the outdoor/off sales was on the right. Otherwise the photo is a ‘dead ringer’ for the Ash!
I used to work part time at the Ash Meadow for a couple of years or so from about 1965/66 whilst George and Edna Capnerhurst ran the place, and for a while later after Wilf and Minnie took it over. (I can’t recall their surnames)
It was an Ansells managed pub with a Public Bar and Smoke Room and it used to get absolutely packed out Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays! When I first started working there Mild was 1/5d a pint, whilst bitter was 1/6d !!!! The ‘In’ drinks at the time were Brown & Mild (using Sam Brown ale) and Mackeson with a bottle of Pepsi in the glass – no accounting for taste!
There were some real characters who worked behind the bar and who drank in there. Stan the barman lived just across the road in Brandwood Park Road, ‘Irish’ Pat lived in one of the prefabs and bred budgies, and Dennis was a real live-wire barman. Don Bonas was also a character.
Some of the customers I recall were Charlie Cowan, Wilf the milkman, Wally the coal-man and Stan the jeweller.
It's really sad that the place no longer exists - I had so many happy times there and so many memories.

Hi pjmburns,
Your eyes are obviously far better than mine! :).
I tried everything I could to enlarge/enhance the photo, but to no avail. In the light of a new day (and if I squint) I think I can just about make out the very pale outline of 'M&B' on the sign. This being the case, the place cannot be the Ashmeadow as I'm absolutely certain it was an Ansells' pub. (At least it was all the time I worked and drank there!)
Also, I now recall that the upstairs living accommodation overhung the ground floor bar by three or four feet and was supported by concrete pillars. The spaces between them had thick rectangular concrete planters, but the only things that managed to grow there were grass and a few weeds.
Ah well, back to the drawing board.....................

If you look at the link in post 8 to the pub suggested earlier - the Broadway then I think that is the answer.
Not my response i just found a photo of the suggested answer.

Back